LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 ls430 timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 11:51 AM
Robert23fl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 ls430 timing belt question

I just joined the site and also purchased my first ever lexus vehicle. I have a 2006 ls430 with 17,000 miles. I bought it from a 84 year old women who barely drove it. I was wondering what you all thought about the timing belt? Should I change the belt even though it only has 17000 on it? I know they say 90000 or 9 years, whatever comes first. Thxs all!

Last edited by Robert23fl; 03-16-15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-15-15, 12:02 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not change it...
Old 03-15-15, 12:08 PM
Robert23fl
Driver School Candidate

Thxs! That's what I'm thinking

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I would not change it...
Old 03-15-15, 01:26 PM
Wheezer
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought an 04 with 50,000 and debated the same thing but was informed that the water pump should be part of the process. I took the plunge last month and asked for the old parts.
The water pump had an obvious leak!
Good luck.
Old 03-16-15, 08:16 AM
zapola6
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2006 with 17K on the it.... That's awesome, brand new car, would love to hear more about it... Might be the lowest mileage buy that's out there right now. Congrats.....

With 17K on it and having minimal miles put on it every year, average 2K a year / 160 or so miles a month, that's only a tanks of gas every 2 to 3 months. Plus how much has it moved in the past couple of years, storage and environmental conditions???? Like others, I don't know that would change it now but I also don't think I would take it to 90K...

Sometimes cars don't mind sitting and other times they might protest a little, my experience they like to be driven..... All depends on your comfort level and your usage of the car. If it's a daily driver? I might consider changing earlier than later... Another thought rather than me working at work, how are the rest of the fluids and consumable items, tires? Just concerned that some rubber items may have dried out a little and fluids might not be in optimal condition.

Just thinking out loud...

Once again Congrats on the new toy and would love to hear more!

Would I have bought this car???? Absolutely, sight unseen…. Let me know if your are not happy with it:.... :-)

2001 LS / will hit 200K this month
Old 03-16-15, 10:12 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

personally I'd let it go for a while and get a baseline with all fluids done to start.

there was a 17k miles '06 for sale at Audi Orlando a couple days ago, think it was around $20k. Was that yours...
Old 03-16-15, 10:46 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though it has awesome low miles, age and climate still play a major role on the condition of all parts. Some parts stay conditioned longer when in motion because of added chemicals in the compounds that are only activated under stress.

Personally I would have it checked by a trusted shop or check it yourself if your experienced enough on what to look for. It's all about peace of mind for sure.

Oh and congrats on the purchase!!
Old 03-16-15, 11:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on getting it checked. you can prob do it yourself if your handy, just take a cover off and inspect it for any cracks.
Old 03-16-15, 12:14 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I do agree that you should have all the fluids checked out... Maybe the dealer you purchased it from did some work on it. I probably would run some Redline fuel system cleaner through it on two consecutive tanks of premium fuel. I think Redline Sl-1 runs about $12 a bottle on Amazon. Get two bottles... This will clean the fuel system because I would be a little concerned due to the car not being driven much. After running those two full tanks of fuel, I would do a new oil/filter change.
Old 03-16-15, 02:45 PM
sakoa
Driver School Candidate

I would want to get it checked out, but it definitely would not be anywhere near the top of my priority list.
Old 03-16-15, 05:41 PM
Wheezer
Driver School Candidate

AGAIN, my 04 with 50,000 had a leak in the water pump! I am informed that if the water pump goes, the timing belt also goes. The owner's manual says 90,000 miles or 108 months. Hello........................
Old 03-16-15, 07:55 PM
Robert23fl
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes that's me

Yes I got it last week! What a beauty it is. I will post some pictures this week for you all to see. Its in great shape however the front bumper has small blemishes. Also this is the ultra luxury package with all options. My wife drove it home and i still haven't even drove it. Thxs everyone! Great bunch of people I've been meeting on this forum.

Originally Posted by toddmorr
personally I'd let it go for a while and get a baseline with all fluids done to start.

there was a 17k miles '06 for sale at Audi Orlando a couple days ago, think it was around $20k. Was that yours...

Last edited by Robert23fl; 03-16-15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-16-15, 08:15 PM
Robert23fl
Driver School Candidate

Thxs! I will post some pictures for you this week. The original owner only used it to get her medication, what I was told. Tires are in great shape and the oil is new. I am planning on taking it to the dealership to have them look over everything. Thxs again on the advice

Originally Posted by zapola6
2006 with 17K on the it.... That's awesome, brand new car, would love to hear more about it... Might be the lowest mileage buy that's out there right now. Congrats.....

With 17K on it and having minimal miles put on it every year, average 2K a year / 160 or so miles a month, that's only a tanks of gas every 2 to 3 months. Plus how much has it moved in the past couple of years, storage and environmental conditions???? Like others, I don't know that would change it now but I also don't think I would take it to 90K...

Sometimes cars don't mind sitting and other times they might protest a little, my experience they like to be driven..... All depends on your comfort level and your usage of the car. If it's a daily driver? I might consider changing earlier than later... Another thought rather than me working at work, how are the rest of the fluids and consumable items, tires? Just concerned that some rubber items may have dried out a little and fluids might not be in optimal condition.

Just thinking out loud...

Once again Congrats on the new toy and would love to hear more!

Would I have bought this car???? Absolutely, sight unseen…. Let me know if your are not happy with it:.... :-)

2001 LS / will hit 200K this month
Old 03-17-15, 10:55 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i just bought a 93 sc300 that has 68k miles and the last time that belt was changed was 2005 and only has 14k miles on the present belt.i am not going to change this belt for at least another 2 years.
my 86 mr2 had 67k miles and was 25 years old before i changed it.it was a little stiff but look pretty good.
Old 03-17-15, 01:01 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't do a thing except check the various fluid levels, tire pressures and then drive it. Certainly wouldn't change the belt.

Quick Reply: 2006 ls430 timing belt question