LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Camber wear? What are your alignment specs?? help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 09:10 AM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber wear? What are your alignment specs?? help?

Hello,
I was wondering if those of you who are riding fairly low and have some camber can help me out here. I am going through tires fairly quickly which is expected but it seems to have gotten faster since I got air. I have gone to two alignment shops and they both say my car is with in specs at ride height. I am wondering based on these alignment sheets what do you think. Is there are way I can save my tires a bit just based off of alignment? I was actually hoping to add a bit more camber but after this issue I do not think I am going to anymore. From your experience about how much life are you getting out of your tires? Keep in mind this is my daily. I drive about 400 miles a week. I went almost three months on brand new tires then went to flip them and the insides were already bald. Would it help to get some caster correction parts? Any help is always greatly appreciated.

this was when I actually got an alignment:

this is when I went to an alignment shop just to check on the alignment after installing air. They said the alignment was still good?

Old 03-06-15, 09:38 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

thats weird, i ran -5.5 and -7.0 with the toe zero'd out and i flipped my tires about 3 1/2 months in since they were getting a bit low.

but your running significantly less camber than I so Im not sure why yours is wearing out after 5000 miles. Maybe its just the tires? maybe they are a softer compound and it wore quicker then normal? or just low treadwear on them in general.
Old 03-06-15, 09:42 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what your problem is but I can tell you I had the same amount of camber on my previous car and the tires would last me much longer than yours, like a year longer

Maybe you want to direct message one of the members in the "Build Threads" who have large amounts of camber on their cars: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-263/
Old 03-06-15, 09:50 AM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
thats weird, i ran -5.5 and -7.0 with the toe zero'd out and i flipped my tires about 3 1/2 months in since they were getting a bit low.

but your running significantly less camber than I so Im not sure why yours is wearing out after 5000 miles. Maybe its just the tires? maybe they are a softer compound and it wore quicker then normal? or just low treadwear on them in general.

right thats what I said. Now that you mention it I think these current tires are softer then my previous tires. I was hoping to add 1-2 degrees of camber too

Originally Posted by heathervb
I don't know what your problem is but I can tell you I had the same amount of camber on my previous car and the tires would last me much longer than yours, like a year longer

Maybe you want to direct message one of the members in the "Build Threads" who have large amounts of camber on their cars: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-263/

thats what I figured. Thanks man. Yeah I am familiar with most of the users hoping theyll chime in when they see this thread just like LiCelsior did.
Old 03-06-15, 10:53 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Mine isn't cambered to anything extreme. But i have -1.7 front and -2.7 rear. With toe set at 0. I have been on same tires for about 2 years. Put on about 20k miles already. I have michelin super sport tires. I do have camber wear but nothing too serious. It wears pretty evenly. Hopefully you get it figured out.
Old 03-06-15, 11:44 AM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doodoo
Mine isn't cambered to anything extreme. But i have -1.7 front and -2.7 rear. With toe set at 0. I have been on same tires for about 2 years. Put on about 20k miles already. I have michelin super sport tires. I do have camber wear but nothing too serious. It wears pretty evenly. Hopefully you get it figured out.
damn thats crazy!

I guess what I am trying to figure out here is do the alignment specs look right to you guys? or do you think something needs to be adjusted? Also those of you on air. Do you notice that being on air makes you wear more tire, even if you have a set ride height that your car is aligned at, just from a softer ride or what not?

thanks again everyone!!!
Old 03-06-15, 12:25 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im around -3/-6 with toe in spec. Tires were flipped after about 6 months. That was daily driving. Not I dont drive the car at all so after I had them flipped they are still good on that section. I'm on air and plan on going even more like -8/-9. If your toe is in spec I wouldn't expect much more life out of your tires by changing anything.
Old 03-25-15, 09:14 AM
DPK*David
Pole Position

So adding more camber shouldnt make things worse?
Old 03-25-15, 11:09 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I just put my car on coilovers this past weekend. I'll be putting it on my alignment setup this weekend. Ill post what I come up with if you havent gotten this figured out yet.

A pic of the tire wear would help diagnose
Old 04-11-15, 02:21 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

I was running negative 1.5 to 2 in front and negative 4 in rear and noticed worst wear when I turned up my coilovers stillness and used higher Treadwear rated tires,400...I think I was using some cheap brands. I think Treadwear rating needs to be in low 300-320. I was riding on bc coilovers with swift springs 16/14kg. 20 weds kranze bazreia and stretched tires of course.
Old 04-14-15, 02:18 PM
sakoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running very similar alignment specs as yours on both my front and rear, and I have almost no problems with premature tire wear. I really doubt your problem is alignment related.
Old 04-15-15, 10:05 AM
DPK*David
Pole Position

What tires are you guys running? Maybe I need a better tire. I was also wondering if my airrex was set to soft and that might have something to do with it.
Old 04-23-15, 11:43 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

I did well with achilles atr. ..you gotta try a few brands ... I try not to spend 100 bucks a tire.
Old 11-18-15, 03:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well guys these are my alignment specs below that i received after getting an alignment done today. Although my readings don't match any of what i've seen from guys, the wheel is back straight and the car rides noticeably better. Had some instability over bumps and on the highway but seems to have been remedied with the work. A lot less vibration also. Take a look and from you all's opinion, was the work done correctly? Also the service guy said the rear camber cant be adjusted and only parts can put them back in original specs.
Attached Thumbnails Camber wear? What are your alignment specs?? help?-wp_20151118_001.jpg  
Old 11-18-15, 04:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What comes to my mind is your rear lower arms are wearing out.

Quick Reply: Camber wear? What are your alignment specs?? help?