LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Puddle Lights Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 07:28 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puddle Lights Install

Hey guys! Im new to the forum as I just picked up my LS430 not too long ago. Just wanted to share some mods I've done so you guys can preform them as well. First off, I work at Nissan and noticed that the 2013 Altima comes with puddle lights as an option. Hence why I decided to go with the 2013 Altima Security light kit. That is what it is called if you want to inquire with Nissan. I will post the part number if you guys want it.

Sorry for lack of more detailed pictures. I got in the groove of working and forgot to stop for picture breaks. I will try to be detailed in my instructions to make up for it.

Here is how the lights come. It comes with a control module but I decided to just wire it up to the dome lights.

I ended up mounting the puddle lights on the plastic under cover that runs along the side skirt. The reason I didn't mount of the side skirt directly is because the stock side skirt does not have any clearance between the chassis and skirt. Here is the panel I removed.

I like this kit because the light sits flush into where ever you decide to mount the LED. This kit is good too because it comes with a template to show where to drill for proper spacing.

The main reason why I decided to use the plastic under try as a mounting point is because there are 4 grommets you can use to run wire up through the floor board. The grommet furthest forward was the best option for this because it comes up right near the front seats and is easily accessible when you pull the carpet up.

Heres how the Lights look mounted to the under cover

So this is where I start to forget to take pictures so ill have to explain this verbally. After you pull the wires up through the floor board it gets fairly simple to wire. I spent a lot of time trying to find a place to tap on the plugs and fuse box on the kick panels. After going next door to lexus and pulling up a whole bunch of wiring diagrams, I ended up just taping the dome light.

I have a LED board installed on my dome light which makes the power source very easy to tap. I chose this spot because it comes on whenever I walk by the car and whenever I unlock the car which you all know. I was tap the wires in the puddle light in the mirror but the signal voltage and brain is inside the door and I did not want to run wires through the door and remove the panels.

I ended up mating all the connections by the passenger side kick panels. I had to run the wires from the driver side to the passenger side which was fairly easy with a metal coat hanger. You can stick the hanger right up over and between the transmission tunnel and heater core and right across to the passenger kick panel.

The wires that were ran through the headliner was fairly easy as well. I just stuck the wires in through the headliner along the windshield and it stayed in pretty nice. I also could not remove the a pillar cover nor did I dare to in fear of breaking clips. I pulled the weather strip back and ran the positive and negative wires down the stripping all the way down to the passenger kick panel where they all are spliced together.

Here are the final results!

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer!

Bonus picture of my last build. Just sold her..

Old 02-21-15, 09:12 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nice puddle lights are always a good touch. What are your future plans for this? are you going to build it up as crazy as that FD?
Old 02-21-15, 10:22 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up.
I'll have to disagree with the look though. Each to their own.
Old 02-21-15, 01:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

not bad of output for OEM puddle lights. It would have been perfect if it was spaced evenly across the sideskirt but thats just OCD kicking in lol.
Old 02-21-15, 01:20 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by empringham
nice puddle lights are always a good touch. What are your future plans for this? are you going to build it up as crazy as that FD?
It was supposed to be a daily but since I sold the FD i went ahead and ordered some Air Runner suspension and a lip kit as well as a custom bumper from a forum member on here. Its gonna get pretty crazy pretty quick. haha The FD took me about 3 months to finilize the look which is pretty quick for a build status. haha. I like to work quick. =P
Old 02-21-15, 01:21 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
not bad of output for OEM puddle lights. It would have been perfect if it was spaced evenly across the sideskirt but thats just OCD kicking in lol.
Yea, I though it of but thought it may be a bit more functional if it was where the passengers would actually step rather than being too far forward where it is not needed.
Old 02-21-15, 01:23 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Nice write up.
I'll have to disagree with the look though. Each to their own.
Yea I wasnt too crazy about it when done but its growing on me. Just a nice touch but definately not neccessary.
Old 02-22-15, 09:52 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Love puddle lights! I put some on my ride a while back and they still look great. Although mine are strip as supposed to singles, they still give the car an added elegance. Here's how mine turned out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-lighting.html
Old 02-22-15, 08:23 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Love puddle lights! I put some on my ride a while back and they still look great. Although mine are strip as supposed to singles, they still give the car an added elegance. Here's how mine turned out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-lighting.html
Nice! I really like the cup holder lights. Very nice touch. I was torn weather to do the LED strip or the single LEDs, but since it came in a kit I opted for the singles.
Old 02-22-15, 08:36 PM
Coustic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question, what was the cost of the kit you purchased? Happen to have a part number, I would think an OEM (even if its nissan) LED would be better quality than those eBay ones.

Looks Awesome BTW!
Old 02-23-15, 10:32 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they look unevenly spaced..
Old 02-24-15, 07:54 AM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coustic
Question, what was the cost of the kit you purchased? Happen to have a part number, I would think an OEM (even if its nissan) LED would be better quality than those eBay ones.

Looks Awesome BTW!
Ill grab the part number for you later on today but my cost on the kit was $160. It also came with a lot of stuff I didnt need that pertains to the altima which is why the price is alittle high. I spent the money knowing I didn't want to deal with the LED's burning out on me. These compared to the Ebay ones are night and day. My friend has Ebay ones and they do not light the ground nearly as much as these OEM ones.
Old 02-24-15, 07:56 AM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j stuff
they look unevenly spaced..
They are spaced out correctly because it came with a template and I followed it. They on the other hand, are not all lined up perfectly straight because of what I had to mount it on the under tray. It was just hard to find a spot that was far enough out to mount the LED's. I will re do them when I get a aftermarket side skirt that will have enough space for mounting.
Old 02-25-15, 11:05 AM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Not exactly the same, but possibly much simpler to install. Any opinions on these - Wind Fire D006?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX4CMM4/ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX4CMM4/
http://www.windfireauto.com/product/d006/
Old 02-25-15, 05:13 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phanham
Not exactly the same, but possibly much simpler to install. Any opinions on these - Wind Fire D006?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX4CMM4/
http://www.windfireauto.com/product/d006/
Not exactly my style but if you like them you should get em. They would be way easier to install.

Quick Reply: Puddle Lights Install