LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Spacers with stock 17in wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 06:54 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Spacers with stock 17in wheels?

So, I really love the stock wheels on my LS430 UL. I recently bought the air controller and I like to lower my car to the lowest setting while parked, and then drive it at the normal height. I never drive lowered for fear of putting excess wear on the stock air suspension.

The only thing is that the fitment of the stock 17x7.5in wheels looks kind of ridiculous when the car is lowered:

The wheels looks very sunk in, especially from this angle. I would love to have that flush look.

I think I'm going to invest in a set of V1 H&R spacers. I know, most people will tell me just to buy wheels with better fitment, but I love my stockies!

The question is, what is the largest mm spacer I can get? I know most people will go with 15mm front and 25mm rear, but that sounds like a rather "safe" choice. Since I don't drive my car lowered at all, maybe I can go a little wider? My fenders in the front are gently rolled, and my rears are not rolled (but I can have it rolled if need be). Will wider spacers rub if I go over a dip even at stock height? It doesn't seem like they would, but the stock tires are fairly meaty. I also do not plan to ever buy smaller tires because it throws off the speedometer and odometer (happened on my Honda Fit).

Please send suggestions and I would love to see pics of wide spacers on stock LS430 wheels if anyone has some!
Old 02-17-15, 07:06 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the 25/15mms installed on mine : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...pressions.html My wheels are the 18's but still 7.5" wide.

If you go wider than that, your wheels will be poking outside the fenders at normal ride height. Mine rubs over big enough bumps. It would definitely rub more if spaced past the fenders.

The biggest H&R makes for our cars is 25mm. I was really impressed with their quality though. They are easy to install too if you have professional tools.
Old 02-17-15, 07:29 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by notwealthy
Here's the 25/15mms installed on mine : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...pressions.html My wheels are the 18's but still 7.5" wide.

If you go wider than that, your wheels will be poking outside the fenders at normal ride height. Mine rubs over big enough bumps. It would definitely rub more if spaced past the fenders.

The biggest H&R makes for our cars is 25mm. I was really impressed with their quality though. They are easy to install too if you have professional tools.
Ahh yes I did see this post prior. I guess 25mm really is as wide as I can go haha. Can you send me the link to where you purchased your spacers?

And your rear spacers did not come with separate studs? Isn't it more dangerous to use spacers that have the studs built into them rather than the separate extended studs?
Old 02-17-15, 07:38 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heathervb
Ahh yes I did see this post prior. I guess 25mm really is as wide as I can go haha. Can you send me the link to where you purchased your spacers?

And your rear spacers did not come with separate studs? Isn't it more dangerous to use spacers that have the studs built into them rather than the separate extended studs?
I'm close to their US headquarters so I just went to their warehouse and purchased them from a shop next door. They don't sell directly so you have to go through a retailer. Check here for their retailers in CA: http://www.hrsprings.com/distributors/US/CA/

I don't think there's any additional risk in using spacers that have studs built in. The H&R studs actually look beefier than the Lexus ones. Biggest safety precaution is to thoroughly scrub off corrosion on all mated surfaces and torque every bolt to spec with a torque wrench. I also re-checked everything a couple times in the first hundred miles to make sure nothing would work its way loose.
Old 02-17-15, 07:47 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by notwealthy
I'm close to their US headquarters so I just went to their warehouse and purchased them from a shop next door. They don't sell directly so you have to go through a retailer. Check here for their retailers in CA: http://www.hrsprings.com/distributors/US/CA/

I don't think there's any additional risk in using spacers that have studs built in. The H&R studs actually look beefier than the Lexus ones. Biggest safety precaution is to thoroughly scrub off corrosion on all mated surfaces and torque every bolt to spec with a torque wrench. I also re-checked everything a couple times in the first hundred miles to make sure nothing would work its way loose.
Oh okay cool, I see a shop close to me that has it.

I just did a full pad and rotor job less than a month ago and cleaned all the corrosion, so that should be still good. My brother said our torque wrench is not calibrated so I'll borrow a better one.

Thanks for the help! I'll post some pics when I get these (in a few weeks) so keep posted
Old 02-17-15, 08:01 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on sc430s with spacers to clear the breaks and make it more flush. Sc430 wheels are 18x8 I believe

Old 02-17-15, 08:15 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by Robles84
I'm on sc430s with spacers to clear the breaks and make it more flush. Sc430 wheels are 18x8 I believe
Looks good, what are your spacer specs?
Old 02-17-15, 08:36 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heathervb
Looks good, what are your spacer specs?
I think it was 22 mm if I remember correctly. It's been awhile.
Old 02-18-15, 02:05 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Robles84;8917111]I'm on sc430s with spacers to clear the breaks and make it more flush. Sc430 wheels are 18x8 I believe

what size tires do you have? Looks good...
Old 02-21-15, 09:59 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=ancdmd;8918197]
Originally Posted by Robles84

what size tires do you have? Looks good...

Old 03-16-15, 03:03 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, do the 25 mm fit flush with existing studs, or do the existing studs need shaving to be flush with the spacer? I'm thinking the studs are more than 1"
Old 03-16-15, 08:36 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
So, do the 25 mm fit flush with existing studs, or do the existing studs need shaving to be flush with the spacer? I'm thinking the studs are more than 1"
I didn't need to modify any studs
Old 03-17-15, 05:37 PM
AlexusAnja

thank you. So 25mm no need to shave, and it doesn't stick out beyond the fender. I just want to make sure I don't need to do anything except install and don't want rubbing.
Old 03-18-15, 11:43 AM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
thank you. So 25mm no need to shave, and it doesn't stick out beyond the fender. I just want to make sure I don't need to do anything except install and don't want rubbing.
Yeah it's a straight forward easy install. It doesn't rub at stock height but I drove it lowered once over a railroad track and it rubbed a little bit
Old 03-19-15, 03:15 PM
AlexusAnja

Got a set of 25 mm for the rear. We'll see how it goes. Going to keep front stock.

Quick Reply: Spacers with stock 17in wheels?