LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rolling fenders

Old 02-11-15, 06:27 AM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling fenders

I've considered lowering springs and bigger wheels, so have seen the YouTube videos on rolling fenders with a phonebook. That said, I ran across what appears to be a pretty good deal for the actual tool for $90 shipped ($220 on Amazon right now)

Eastwood via eBay.com has Eastwood Fender Roller Lip Forming & Rolling Tool for Large Tires (31158) on sale for $89.99. Shipping is free - Link
Old 02-11-15, 07:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good deal on that roller, i remember when they used to be $200+. depending on what offset and size your wheels are, you may be able to get away with not rolling. Fronts could be forced rolled by turning.
Old 02-11-15, 07:53 AM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

That tool will pay for itself if you do some side jobs. I bought mine awhile back for 200 and have made over a grand doing side jobs. Just remember to be patient and use a lot of heat so you paint doesnt crack.
Old 02-11-15, 09:57 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What are the cons of rolling? If any.
Old 02-11-15, 11:21 AM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
What are the cons of rolling? If any.
I imagine it's even more difficult to reverse...

That said, biggest con may be potential to screwing it up (e.g. not heating properly and cracking paint)
Old 02-11-15, 02:37 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't roll your fenders on the LS430, they will not roll well. The fender is double-wall steel and very stiff, plus there's three holes in the lip for the screws that hold on the plastic rock guard. These holes create weak points, and when the fender roller is on them they don't roll like the rest of the fender so you end up with dimples in these areas. Basically the fender will look like crap if you try to roll it. The only way to make more room for bigger tires is to cut the lip. You have to remove the plastic guard and use a grinder or cutoff wheel to cut the lip. Make sure you paint the inside edge after to prevent rust. If you're not comfortable doing this then take it to a VERY GOOD body shop and ask them to do it. Trust me, don't attempt to roll your fenders, you won't be happy with the results!
Old 02-11-15, 08:02 PM
bfg23
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Trust me, don't attempt to roll your fenders, you won't be happy with the results!
Very sound advice right here. I wish I heard this a few months back.

I used a flap sander on an angle grinder to do the rears, and used a rolling tool for the fronts, I ended up with a dimple on each of the front fenders now, and the rears are perfect. Not happy about my own work.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-12-15, 02:29 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Don't roll your fenders on the LS430, they will not roll well. The fender is double-wall steel and very stiff, plus there's three holes in the lip for the screws that hold on the plastic rock guard. These holes create weak points, and when the fender roller is on them they don't roll like the rest of the fender so you end up with dimples in these areas. Basically the fender will look like crap if you try to roll it. The only way to make more room for bigger tires is to cut the lip. You have to remove the plastic guard and use a grinder or cutoff wheel to cut the lip. Make sure you paint the inside edge after to prevent rust. If you're not comfortable doing this then take it to a VERY GOOD body shop and ask them to do it. Trust me, don't attempt to roll your fenders, you won't be happy with the results!
I can second this information. I took my car to an independent fender roller who had been rolling fenders for longer than I had been alive He had experience with countless LS fenders. He was even working on another LS when I arrived.

He was going to cut the fender lip off with a grinder but instead he did decided to go with the roll because I already had damage to my fender caused from lowering my car too much. He did a very gentle, small roll so that those holes wouldn't create dimples and he fixed the damage entirely. Overall I was very satisfied with his work .

With that being said, LS430 fenders can be rolled, but only gently. I would not recommend attempting it yourself because you won't know exactly how much to roll like an experienced expert would. It's better to cut the lip off but even that should probably be done by an expert. I don't mess with my own body work!
Old 02-12-15, 06:43 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heathervb
I can second this information. I took my car to an independent fender roller who had been rolling fenders for longer than I had been alive He had experience with countless LS fenders. He was even working on another LS when I arrived.

He was going to cut the fender lip off with a grinder but instead he did decided to go with the roll because I already had damage to my fender caused from lowering my car too much. He did a very gentle, small roll so that those holes wouldn't create dimples and he fixed the damage entirely. Overall I was very satisfied with his work .

With that being said, LS430 fenders can be rolled, but only gently. I would not recommend attempting it yourself because you won't know exactly how much to roll like an experienced expert would. It's better to cut the lip off but even that should probably be done by an expert. I don't mess with my own body work!
Nice! Where in California is this shop?
How are your fenders holding on? Any pics?

When they cut do you mean the cut a part of the bulged arch on the fender? Or do they just cut the diameter of the part of the fender that is facing flat?