LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Obsolete....the follow up question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 05:39 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Obsolete....the follow up question

I have a 2002 UL with 88k on the clock. Coming up on tires and a 90k service. Let's assume $3,000 by the time it is all said and done. Only problem I am experiencing now is a driver side mirror not adjusting (could be a fuse). The car is 13 years old....could start having problems...especially when it has so many toys on it.

My LS is beautiful....kept really well, and many people are surprised "that car isn't new" (unless they are just b'sing me). Silver, black, rosewood. Just got offered $10,000 for it.

I don't like the 460 or the GS. If I change, I'd like to drive something different. Here's the concern....my Lexus salesman's advice is "sell it" (he's more a friend than salesman....hasn't sold me a car in a long time....knows I won't be buying another), because he just sold his 02 and only got $6,500.

I put in $3k, somebody hits it, law in my state is that if the repair cost is equal to or exceeds 75% of the vehicle's value, it has to be totaled. We all know that the insurance company will not be writing me a $10,000 check, and we can discount that even further by the $3k just spent.

I keep going back and fourth - sell it to 10k buyer or keep on trucking, It's a real quandary. I won't even say what I am looking at, because that is a whole other issue that will bring in opinions. I really want to know thoughts on the above.

Input please
Old 02-11-15, 05:58 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

couple things. Your 10k valuation is probably about right. There is a 12k 02 Ultra in NY for sale and has been for a while, 58k miles and looks in really good shape.
But it seems to me your putting too much weight on the possibility of a wreck totalling the car.....isn't that an extremely rare event. Yeah if it happens you're screwed but that would be the case for many cars/people. Doesn't strike me as logical to *plan* on a rare event happening. Seems to me you should put some weight on the utility of the car for what it provides---very comfortable, reliable and pleasing transportation. Surely that has some value, and btw, is a near certainty, as opposed to the rarity of a wreck.
also think 3k for the 90k service is high. heck, pay someone 750 bucks for the tb and do the rest yourself. Or just skip the TB until 110k+ if you really believe you're about to get in a wreck.
Old 02-11-15, 06:13 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default The 3k is what I am assuming for 90k service and tires

Originally Posted by toddmorr
couple things. Your 10k valuation is probably about right. There is a 12k 02 Ultra in NY for sale and has been for a while, 58k miles and looks in really good shape.
But it seems to me your putting too much weight on the possibility of a wreck totalling the car.....isn't that an extremely rare event. Yeah if it happens you're screwed but that would be the case for many cars/people. Doesn't strike me as logical to *plan* on a rare event happening. Seems to me you should put some weight on the utility of the car for what it provides---very comfortable, reliable and pleasing transportation. Surely that has some value, and btw, is a near certainty, as opposed to the rarity of a wreck.
also think 3k for the 90k service is high. heck, pay someone 750 bucks for the tb and do the rest yourself. Or just skip the TB until 110k+ if you really believe you're about to get in a wreck.
I am planning on the 90k service and tires. I don't want to put it off beyond the miles based on age. If I had any mechanical talent/abilities, I would probably be way more inclined to keep, since I could then do minor things myself. Also, I am not sure of the other issues I may start having. I did go online and look at 2006's, and they are pretty expensive.
Old 02-11-15, 07:23 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i see. If I understand you right, you're concerned about putting more money in a car thats getting up in years, basically. Well.....if it was any LS besides the Ultra I wouldn't hesitate to continue owning and putting money in it. but those air shocks are an issue...yes, many folks go a long time with no problems but I check maintenance records on a lot of these cars and I'm surprised at the frequency of that specific issue, usually at the 60k+ mark. So there's that, plus the power mirrors and door lock actuators tend to get problematic. And bushings and pieces of the front suspension. None of these are that costly, except the shocks.
at the end of the day, I'd probably stick with what you got, a known entity that you enjoy and that provides excellent transportation, and continue to invest in it, knowing that jumping ship to another car will trigger significant transaction costs and a whole other depreciation schedule, likely to be higher..
Old 02-11-15, 07:24 AM
JoshuaaXD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum never ceases to amaze me
Old 02-11-15, 10:25 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Me too

Originally Posted by JoshuaaXD
This forum never ceases to amaze me
Just think...it wasn't that long ago where there was no way for us owners and enthusiasts to communicate unless there was a local club. Now we can ask for advice and opinions across teh country and the globe.

I think it is fantastic.
Old 02-11-15, 10:31 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I have a 2002 UL with 88k on the clock. Coming up on tires and a 90k service. Let's assume $3,000 by the time it is all said and done. Only problem I am experiencing now is a driver side mirror not adjusting (could be a fuse). The car is 13 years old....could start having problems...especially when it has so many toys on it.
Side mirror not adjusting is due to the mirror switch, the contacts need to be clean.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8905660

There is no equal to the LS430 for what it offer at this price range. If I am you, I would either switch to a 06' LS430 or consider a Hyundai Equus, that is currently the closest car to the LS430. A 06' LS430 is still better and cheaper then an Equus though, the Equus is just a little more updated.

You can always switch to the large variety of used low price Euros (S550/750i/A8/XJ) to embrace the world of headaches, a small percentage of them are trouble free though, you could get lucky.

I am buying the powerball tonight for a chance to drive a new Euro The latest models are soooo nice but so insanely expensive

Last edited by BNR34; 02-11-15 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 10:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just think...it wasn't that long ago where there was no way for us owners and enthusiasts to communicate unless there was a local club. Now we can ask for advice and opinions across teh country and the globe.

I think it is fantastic.
It is indeed fantastic
Old 02-11-15, 11:01 AM
BCrews
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Input please
Honestly, I understand where you're coming from....a few months ago I bought a 2004 LS 430 UL with about 30-50k MORE miles than I wanted... (it had about 118k) but it was an immaculate UL (I'd only sat in 1 previously that was not in good condition) and it was Briarwood Pearl outside and Saddle interior with beautiful matching wood- the interior looked like no one ever sat in it- driver's seat included.

If I got in an accident, I'd be upside down on what I owe- doubtful I'll find a nicer car for some time, but the way I see it- I'm LOVING what I have now despite whatever quirks (damn fiddly mirrors and door locks grrr) I always like to say, I could have bought this- or a 2014 Corolla in base trim- no one questions my decision.

The big question SHOULD be, forget the chance of an accident- DO YOU STILL LOVE YOUR CAR? What you're looking at as a replacement - would you love as much or more than your current LS?
Old 02-11-15, 11:09 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Keep or sell our current LS430 can't be answered out of context about what will replace it. Unless you are moving to London and/or giving up driving selling the LS requires replacing it with something equivalent in one way or another. As I see it from my perspective I can't replace my LS430 for anything remotely close to its overall quality, luxury, and reliability without spending a huge amount of money that I'd prefer to keep. I'm not bothered in the slightest by driving a car that is older - even one that is 10-15 years older as long as it is in great shape. My personal plan is to drive the LS till gas gets too expensive to not have a hybrid or all electric car. Hopefully that won't happen for another 5-10 years. My car has 65k on it. When it hits 90k, I'll also need tires and TB/WP - I'll get the parts on line at discount, shop around for good rate on labor, get new tires at Costco and be all done for well under $2K.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-11-15 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 11:09 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

keep driving it. the other newer cars you're looking at are depreciating at a MUCH faster rate than your LS which has taken 90% of the depreciation hit already.
Old 02-11-15, 11:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Keep it. If it's a nice car and you enjoy it then keep it. Cars are a horrible investment really. Unless it is a classic its just going to cost you money as long as you own it. Why start over if you already own your LS. Your $3000 estimate is about $2000 too much unless you have some other issue.

Your mirror problem can be fixed easily via this thread. It's just the switch.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...adjujst-6.html

The oem timing belt kit with tensioners is $183 on RockAuto (AISIN Part # TKT021). Labor should be no more then $800. $600 is more reasonable. Buy the kit and pay for labor only.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-11-15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 12:02 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

You'll almost always get more money selling a car sooner rather than later, the problem is always what then replaces it. You do the depreciation dance all over. Usually the math works in the favor of keeping a car for as long as possible because the depreciation slows down vs several cars having steeper depreciation. Actual repair costs are almost always cheaper than the depreciation a car experiences.

But it's more of an emotional decision than a logical one, I can understand the feeling. My last Lexus was an ES and I got rid of it mainly because it was worth so little, something like a transmission going out would almost put it in a salvage yard. I just decided to move on with something different.

I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance, I know I've seen people push back and get a fair amount for a totaled vehicle. They will ask for recent receipts and sometimes make that a factor in what they give you.

I will say though it's not going to be a great feeling when most LS's from this generation will probably be in that $6k-$8k range in a few years. You can sell now and avoid that but the depreciation on the newer car will be even worse.
Old 02-11-15, 06:51 PM
BigBruiser
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@mafpolo: I have a 2002 Base model 430 with 183k on it. I purchased it with 121k and the only thing "major" I've done is TB and valve gaskets. This is a very reliable car and if you take care of it you should get many miles out of it. The suspension and the TB needs would make me be inclined to trade for a 2006 LS without air suspension and not be concerned about the miles. But that's what I'd do. Having a 2002 UL with 88k and you know what it is...spend the money to keep it in good shape and continue to enjoy an excellent car. Change your oil regular(get the PCV Valve changed when you do the 90k service to keep your valve cover gaskets from blowing.), use premium gas(no ethanol), and put it on a lift from time to time to check it out and you will enjoy years of reliable service from it. [my $0.02]
Old 02-11-15, 06:58 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default So many good points.....the real complication is

What to replace it with? I'm not willing to pay the price of a new LS. I did drive a M37/Q70 Infiniti, and I did like it. It had road feel, power, and handled better than the 430, yet not quite a Euro car.

I like a lot of the Euro cars, but most are for leasing and not for owning. If I had the cash (no car payments), I would buy a new A8, S8, or S7. My wife's A8 has been very reliable.

I like the LS430, take criticism that I drive a "grandfather car," but a friend of mine said yesterday that once you've had a top of the line car.....it's hard to get used to anything else.

I've been looking at A6's (2013 CPO's), knowing that I will be giving up reliability, and size, but it is a fun car, four wheel drive, and it is different from the LS430.

If I'm putting odds on it.....I'll probably still be in the LS, because I still like it. I've just got this thing in my head about being in a car that is thirteen years old.

Quick Reply: Obsolete....the follow up question