LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 09:15 PM
notwealthy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions

This isn't anything compared to what some of the VIP guys on here have done, but for others who are trying to stay fairly close to stock, here's a look at what some spacers can do on stock coil suspension. Probably TMI for a lot of you, but I figured somebody might look for info on this some day so I might as well document it.

The other day I was parked next to an S55 AMG and it became pretty apparent how despite having nearly identical dimensions, my LS didn't quite "sit" like the benz because the wheels sit so deep in the wheel wells. I work a few minutes from the US headquarters for H&R and decided to order up some spacers. Their site doesn't list the LS430 but if you put in SC430, they're compatible.

I went with 25mm in the rear and 15mm up front. The 25mm spacers come with studs in them so you don't have to even take off the brake disc. The 15mm spacers came with longer studs so you need to remove the front brake discs, tap out the factory studs and put the new ones in. The four spacers set me back about $270 after tax.

Installation was very easy. Tools I used were an impact wrench, torque wrench, ratchet, needle nose pliers, sledge hammer and a copper brush. I would not attempt this without an impact wrench or a press because the new studs would be nearly impossible to pull through with hand tools. Front studs CAN be replaced without removing the front hubs. There is plenty of room to tap the old ones out and pull longer ones through. Be very thorough with the wire brush to get corrosion off the hub, brake, and wheels before reassembling.

Here are some before and after pics. My wheels are the hyper black reps of the LS430 sport wheel. Tires are 245/45/R18 Pirelli P7 All Season Plus.

before:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-qvkwmgr.jpg

after: (really happy with how different it looks from this angle)
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-x879iyi.jpg

before:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-wrev7z8.jpg

after:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-jcfkrw1.jpg

before:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-ttxpunp.jpg

after:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-xpbzdid.jpg

before:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-zeyntfp.jpg

after:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-ogo7ll5.jpg

after:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-jaob3r1.jpg

space for putting in new studs:
Just installed H&R spacers: Pics and impressions-outtwbq.jpg

If anyone has questions, just ask!
The following users liked this post:
manualdr5 (02-14-24)
Old 02-09-15, 11:52 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I'm loving it! Good work.

You know, I think it makes the worlds difference the way the car sits, glad to see someone being bothered by it as well haha.

Do you see any difference in the way it rides? Stability?
Old 02-10-15, 05:43 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Looks good...
Old 02-10-15, 05:49 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks good - thanks for sharing the info. Will rear tires clear fender lip on larger bumps when suspension starts to bottom?
Old 02-10-15, 05:51 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks good, been slacking on doing this with my car also.
Old 02-10-15, 07:32 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Wow, I'm loving it! Good work.

You know, I think it makes the worlds difference the way the car sits, glad to see someone being bothered by it as well haha.

Do you see any difference in the way it rides? Stability?
Thanks! Since the rest of my suspension is stock and I don't drive it very hard, I didn't notice much difference in handling. I think it theoretically lowers the roll center but I haven't pushed it much around corners, especially since it's been so rainy.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Looks good - thanks for sharing the info. Will rear tires clear fender lip on larger bumps when suspension starts to bottom?
I doubt they will clear the lip without rubbing some. Since I'm at stock ride height it would take a pretty big bump to make it rub.
Old 02-10-15, 07:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I did something similar with my LS400. I had to do it to get the 18" rims I purchased to clear the front calipers. I also lowered the car about 1.5 inches on some Japanese springs. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. The only weird thing that I experience is the rear would move around a little more then when stock. The spacers I used were hub centric vs replacing the studs. This may have been part of it. But I could actually feel the movement under certain circumstances. Given this was my old car and all the rubber was pretty old. Looks good though.
Old 02-10-15, 08:15 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I did something similar with my LS400. I had to do it to get the 18" rims I purchased to clear the front calipers. I also lowered the car about 1.5 inches on some Japanese springs. I can't remember the name off the top of my head. The only weird thing that I experience is the rear would move around a little more then when stock. The spacers I used were hub centric vs replacing the studs. This may have been part of it. But I could actually feel the movement under certain circumstances. Given this was my old car and all the rubber was pretty old. Looks good though.
Both of these are hubcentric too but replacing the studs up front was still necessary to get the lug nuts on enough threads. I would love to lower for the looks but It would be hard to give up some ride quality.
Old 02-10-15, 08:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yeah. Lowering really affects the ride a lot. Some people prefer the more planted sporty feel. I put on the mild springs and new KYB shocks. The car handled great but lost a lot of comfort.

Here are a few shots of the 400 with 04 SC430 wheels and probably the same size spacers as yours. The rears just barely rubbed on large bumps.

https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/228434

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-10-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 09:39 AM
notwealthy
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Yeah. Lowering really affects the ride a lot. Some people prefer the more planted sporty feel. I put on the mild springs and new KYB shocks. The car handled great but lost a lot of comfort.

Here are a few shots of the 400 with 04 SC430 wheels and probably the same size spacers as yours. The rears just barely rubbed on large bumps.

https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/228434
That looks really good! I plan on buying a Boxster at some point, so I'll leave the Lexus comfy and let the porsche take the abuse haha
Old 02-10-15, 10:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks much better.
Old 03-14-15, 02:59 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I too did this on my 99' with H&R DRS (exchanging studs). The fronts were less difficult than the rears. I never had them pressed in properly. Now that I'm swapping rides & keeping spacers I assume pulling out my old studs is not cost efficient. Is there any thruth to stretching these studs using an impact wrench to pull these thru rather than pressing them in ?? Even with quality studs like H&R I did have one snap in half during my last install. With this new 05' I'm more hesitant to doing things the cheaper way. Do bearings need to be replaced if I have them pressed in ??
Old 03-15-15, 04:12 PM
Caketoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raise not lower. 2005 LS430 w 90 k.

I think the wheels look great the way Notwealthy modified them. I want the same look but Instead I would like to raise my car a bit ( not lower). Just enough so that I do not rub under any conditions. Also I'd like to keep everything stock or nearly stock. Just wondering how to (1.) keep tires/ wheels stock or nearly stock? (2). Use spacers to push tires out and get rid of that sunken look? (3). Raise vehicle just enough to avoid rub? I've got a 2005 Ls430. w standard suspension. Also, maybe using spacers to push tires out enough to avoid rub and create the not so sunk in look? Anyone with a similar setup and pics. I'd appreciate it any info. Lastly, I'd like to avoid air suspension. Thanks.
Old 03-16-15, 07:37 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on the 25mm spacers for back, did you have to shave the existing studs to have them flat with the spacer? I thought the studs might be longer than 1"