LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 Transmission saga

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 12:15 PM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Great news! What you were experiencing was probably 90% due to the low fluid not the TSB. It helps but does not make that big of a difference but I agree. It is worth getting it done.
Exactly my thoughts as well, Lav. After the initial issue of the hose coming loose and the fluid loss, the topping off and correct filling procedure fixed that particular issue. The TSB definitely helped the pre-existing shifting issue.
Old 01-14-15, 02:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by deadguy
It worked for me. At times when I knew I would need to get up and go from a low speed (a quick merge at an intersection) I often shifted over to S mode to avoid the issue. A quick over and up to 6th. In the back of my mind I always wondered if this could cause a tranny issue down the road. I'm guessing it would be fine to drive in that mode at all times. More knowledgeable members may disagree and hopefully will chime in if they do.

Go Dodgers!
Yes I was wondering that as well, if it's okay to drive in S all the time. Like you, I wouldn't imagine it being a problem but you never know. I'd rather just bear it until I get the TSB done than cause any issues by leaving it in S. Other than the lurch, the tranny is flawless. Shifts beautifully. Let's hope someone will chime in!
Old 01-15-15, 05:01 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put the car through its paces this morning in areas that typically caused it to downshift hard, and it shifted smoothly. Very happy with the update.
Old 03-14-15, 08:11 PM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Wait, does that really "fix" the dreaded low speed lurch issue? I'm having the TSB done when I change my fluid out, but that won't be for a few thousand miles (and I drive RARELY).

This low speed lurch issue is driving me CRAZY in LA traffic. It's like I'm driving the BEST possible car to sit in traffic like this, but not when I contantly have to baby it to avoid that unnecessary downshift. Trying to stay above 13-15 MPH here is almost impossible, and if you don't, it will needlessly downshift to first. Hence the "lurch" and "jerkiness". Transmission shifts beautifully, however.

Does leaving it in "S" actually "fix" this issue? That would be amazing as a temporary fix until I have the cat serviced.
If your car jerks when coming to a stop and also doesn't downshift properly,then it's most likely the the engine ecu. My 06 gs430 had this problem. I ended up putting a used trans and it was the same. After researching, I replaced the ecu and problem was solved.
Old 03-14-15, 10:19 PM
xhifer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it too. It's really not that bad... Not bad enough to replace the transmission..
Old 06-16-17, 09:52 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Wait, does that really "fix" the dreaded low speed lurch issue? I'm having the TSB done when I change my fluid out, but that won't be for a few thousand miles (and I drive RARELY).

This low speed lurch issue is driving me CRAZY in LA traffic. It's like I'm driving the BEST possible car to sit in traffic like this, but not when I contantly have to baby it to avoid that unnecessary downshift. Trying to stay above 13-15 MPH here is almost impossible, and if you don't, it will needlessly downshift to first. Hence the "lurch" and "jerkiness". Transmission shifts beautifully, however.

Does leaving it in "S" actually "fix" this issue? That would be amazing as a temporary fix until I have the cat serviced.
exactly the problem i'm having! Similar "lurch" and "jerkiness" in slow bumper to bumper Bay Area traffic. Did D/F #1 last year. Dealer did the recent D/F. Indy said they did the TSB but maybe got it wrong or something. May go to dealer and have them check.
Old 06-17-17, 01:06 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
exactly the problem i'm having! Similar "lurch" and "jerkiness" in slow bumper to bumper Bay Area traffic. Did D/F #1 last year. Dealer did the recent D/F. Indy said they did the TSB but maybe got it wrong or something. May go to dealer and have them check.
Yikes yeah it's the worst. We moved away from LA about a year and a half ago; luckily here in nice, medium-sized Knoxville the issue hardly ever presents itself because here you can actually attain a cruising speed, and literal bumper to bumper gridlock is very rare. But if we were still out there I would have gone to the dealer, too. That lurch was beyond frustrating out there in that traffic.

Hope you get it sorted out! Trust me I know how annoying it is in a huge city with traffic like that!
Old 06-17-17, 06:27 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Yikes yeah it's the worst. We moved away from LA about a year and a half ago; luckily here in nice, medium-sized Knoxville the issue hardly ever presents itself because here you can actually attain a cruising speed, and literal bumper to bumper gridlock is very rare. But if we were still out there I would have gone to the dealer, too. That lurch was beyond frustrating out there in that traffic.

Hope you get it sorted out! Trust me I know how annoying it is in a huge city with traffic like that!
Thanks. Yeah it's irritating but still a great car. Tried -S- and it seems to work (on an empty country road anyway). I don't have to deal with gridlock very often so it's not a huge problem. Congrats on Knoxville.