LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Alternator Replacement for 2001 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 11:40 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Question Alternator Replacement for 2001 LS430?

What is the correct replacement part number for a Denso re-manufactured alternator for a 2001? The Lexus part number is: 27060-50280. Denso part # 210-0508 shows compatible with 2002, 2003 and 2004 only, not 2001 (but a couple websites show cross-reference to the Lexus part # for a 2001 alternator). There is a DIY on CL, but if anyone has the Lexus manual instructions with torque info, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited by Tom57; 01-01-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 04:01 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Generator torque specs from 2004 Service Manual...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
04 Generator.pdf (1.37 MB, 563 views)
Old 01-01-15, 02:38 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Thank you, rkw.

Can anyone confirm whether the '01 LS requires a different alternator than the 2002 and 2003? After much research including on the Denso manufacturer website, I find that the more widely available Denso re-manufactured alternator part #210-0508 only fits 2002 through 2004. The Nippon-Denso alternator part #W0133-1828380 fits the 2001 through 2004. Both alternators are 130 amp. Why does the Denso #210-0508 alternator not come up as directly fitting the 2001? Was there a change in alternators after the 2001 model year? Is there a difference between alternators, or are they the same?

Last edited by Tom57; 01-06-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 08:30 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Default DIY 2001 LS Alternator

A brief summary of learning and experience with the alternator on my 2001, as well as a recommendation for anyone who subscribes to preventive maintenance:

1) With 252,000 on the clock, and without real any advance warning, the alternator failed. Only about 10 minutes before the car quit while driving, the battery warning light on the dash lit. That was it. Then the car sputtered and died. No other prior anomalies or symptoms. In fact, the alternator was tested less than 2 months ago and it was fine. Fortunately, the car was less than 10 miles from home, but it left my son stranded on an exit ramp of a Chicago expressway until I could get there.

Being the original alternator, of course I know it was time and probably past its time. However, while much is written on the CL forum about so many different items of preventive maintenance for the LS (especially replacing the timing belt and water pump at the Lexus-recommended 90K mile mark), I find very, very little written about the LS alternator. Given this experience, and the consequences if your alternator shows no signs of fault then quits without much warning, I strongly recommend that you test your alternator for voltage output, and replace it BEFORE it leaves you stranded.

Alternators have a wide ranging life span. The internals, including the brushes and bearings are subjected to severe heat and friction, which ultimately wears them down. Some alternators last 100K miles (or less) and others may survive to over 250K. The LS alternator is mounted in the lower section of the front of the 3UZ-FE - an area somewhat cooler than on other vehicles where the alternator may be mounted near the top of the engine - where heat rises and is concentrated. If you live / drive in the hotter climates, it's likely your LS alternator will fail on the shorter end of the range.

2) If you choose to DIY, (and you haven't waited until the alternator fails), I suggest that you purchase a Denso re-manufactured alternator (Denso #210-0508). Picture attached. These list for $454 and are OEM quality. NOTE: For the 2001 model year, virtually all websites show that the Denso #210-0508 is "not compatible" with the 2001 LS. That is simply NOT accurate. Denso 210-0508 is the correct OEM replacement alternator for the 2001. The OEM alternator is 130 amp, and the Denso 210-0508 matches up in all respects (bolt holes and wire connections) to the OEM alternator I removed from my 2001. I was able to source and purchase it with same day local pick-up for $248 total. As with starters, there's a core charge as well. Exchange (or ship) your old one back for credit or refund. If you have time, the Denso alternator is widely available online too. Remember too, you'll have to pay shipping if you want your core deposit refunded. Be certain to verify that it is Denso re-manufactured alternator, NOT a Denso alternator re-manufactured by some after-market supplier. You could save a couple bucks and get an after-market (non-Denso) re-manufactured alternator for $100 or so. I prefer the peace-of-mind knowing the original manufacturer (Denso), re-manufactured this critical part with new OEM internals, quality control assurance and bench testing. There are times when saving a few bucks on non-OEM makes sense, this is not one of those times, IMO. "You get what you pay for" applies here.

3) DIY of the alternator is fairly simple. I found one thread and rkw supplied instructions (attached) with torque specs (thanks again, rkw), so I won't repeat. Here is the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-ls-430-a.html

With winter and cold temps here, the alternator is put into heavier service demands, so don't wait until it fails - test it, and replace it if any doubt, so that you continue to have trouble-free driving!
Attached Thumbnails Alternator Replacement for 2001 LS430?-2001-ls430-alternator.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
04 Generator.pdf (1.37 MB, 278 views)

Last edited by Tom57; 01-06-15 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 09:01 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for the write up and follow up. I always hate it when people find an answer but never come back.

Just curious though why your supplier was so high for the Denso remanufactured alternator. When I checked RockAuto, the same alternator was around $117 (after core refund) Was the extra for shipping?

Old 01-06-15, 09:06 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alternatively, you could check what a local shop would charge to rebuild your existing one. we have a good one here and they give a warranty too.
Old 01-06-15, 12:22 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
Thanks for the write up and follow up. I always hate it when people find an answer but never come back.

Just curious though why your supplier was so high for the Denso remanufactured alternator. When I checked RockAuto, the same alternator was around $117 (after core refund) Was the extra for shipping?

Happy New Year Brad.

You searched by the Denso part # 210-0508 that I provided, which took substantial time to determine that it was, in fact, compatible with the 2001. If you start a search for an alternator for a 2001 LS, that part number doesn't show compatible with the 2001 model year on virtually all of the typical parts websites. THAT was the problem I had to solve - why were all online parts suppliers showing other alternators, not the Denso 210-0508, for the 2001? I started with the Lexus part # (27060-50280) which doesn't even come up on the Rock Auto site. If you search by vehicle info on Rock Auto site (or most any parts website), this is what you get: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,2412. Note there is no Denso # 210-0508. There is a Nippon-Denso, but it's also showing AC Delco so it's not clear what that is.

Go to the Denso website and you'll find that the #210-0508 fits a 2002 and 2003 LS: http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-pa...icle-selection. But if you select a 2001 LS, no Denso alternators are shown.

After seeing numerous parts suppliers' sites showing the Denso #210-0508 only for 2002 and up, I contacted my local Lexus parts manager. He quoted $424 list, my price $225 + tax = $248. He assured me that the 2001 - 2003 alternators are the same. Time had passed with the intervening holiday. Had I known earlier that the Denso #210-0508 in fact fit the 2001 (despite all of the many websites showing not compatible), I could have ordered the part online, free shipping and no tax and waited up to a week for the part to show up at my door. Sure I may have saved another $75 - $100 net (after paying for return shipping of core) - but I couldn't wait any longer for a part to arrive with the car disabled, since I lost time doing part number research and the New Year holiday. This is what prompted me to come back here and complete my own thread, especially for those who own a 2001. Kind of surprising that no one else has had this issue with a 2001 OEM Denso alternator part number, and the obvious mistake that is so prevalent on the parts websites.

I'm very pleased knowing I have an authentic Denso reman alternator, and with easy DIY, I avoided paying $$$ for the part and installation costs at the dealer.

Last edited by Tom57; 08-20-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 12:45 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arcteryx
alternatively, you could check what a local shop would charge to rebuild your existing one. we have a good one here and they give a warranty too.
I briefly considered this option, including rebuilding it myself. Again, you can definitely save money with this option. A "rebuild" is different though, than a complete "re-manufacture." Reasons why I didn't pursue: (1) the internal components for a rebuild are / may be of unknown origin, and therefore may not be up to OEM standards - even though they all say "OEM equivalent", (2) A re-builder will only repair what has failed, yet other components may be nearing failure, (3) I don't know any proven re-builder of these parts locally, so I didn't want to be a guinea pig, (4) Denso has OEM internal components, and the re-manufacturing process is according to quality control standards (ex. ISO 9000), and all of the internals are tested and all parts replaced that do not meet OEM specs and tolerances, (5) I didn't have the time to wait for a rebuild.

With an alternator, even if you get a "lifetime warranty" from an after-market (non-OEM) re-builder / supplier, is a premature breakdown on the road worth the hassle and inconvenience of going after-market re-build and saving a few dollars? For me, it just wasn't. Risk reduction and quick delivery on this particular part was key to my choice.

Last edited by Tom57; 01-06-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 12:58 PM
arcteryx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denso is a high quality parts supplier so I get the rebuild pros/cons. It really comes down to if you have a competent shop locally and, although it's "just" an alternator, is it common enough to have one done. I doubt shops get many LS430 specific ones, but do get Densos from Toyota. One of my other vehicles is a 7.3 Excursion. I had them rebuild mine as they are so common that I am sure the shop has done many many times overs.

Glad you're back on the road
Old 01-06-15, 01:16 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good point on replacing certain components, Tom. We replace the timing belt and water pump on a schedule (stakes are a little higher however), so why not the alternator? Maybe the fuel pump? Battery?

I have done pre-emptive strikes on all of those components before just because I figured they were nearing the end of the trail and did not want to be left stranded. That lets me replace them on my terms and not the cars terms. I usually do not like the times and places it picks. ;-)
Old 01-06-15, 01:58 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by arcteryx
Glad you're back on the road
Thank you.
Old 01-06-15, 02:11 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by randal
Very good point on replacing certain components, Tom. We replace the timing belt and water pump on a schedule (stakes are a little higher however), so why not the alternator? Maybe the fuel pump? Battery?

I have done pre-emptive strikes on all of those components before just because I figured they were nearing the end of the trail and did not want to be left stranded. That lets me replace them on my terms and not the cars terms. I usually do not like the times and places it picks. ;-)
Thanks. Yes, like you randal, I try to be a "pre-emptive strike" / preventive maintenance DIY guy across several vehicles. I got caught on this one, so I thought I'd share to warn others who may be lulled into thinking that since their alternator hasn't shown any classic symptoms, they're good to go until it does. There really isn't much, if anything, written here about replacing the alternator on these fairly bullet-proof vehicles before they show alternator symptoms. Waiting for "symptoms" may be too late.

Last edited by Tom57; 01-07-15 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wnyjazz (01-27-18)
Old 01-09-15, 08:15 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Here's just one example of problems that may arise (and that I wanted to avoid) with non-Denso after-market "re-built" alternators:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8856672

> In the thread, the poster "Yamae" is an electrical engineering consultant to Toyota.