LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY - LCA Ball Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 12:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Lower control arms and ball joints should do the job. On the lower arm, one bushing is replaceable one is not. So if both bushing are shot replace the whole arm. If the big bushing is the only one this can be replaced on its own. Also, if the 3 motor mounts have never been done I'm sure they need it too. Don't forget to align the car after.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-11-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 09:04 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Lower control arms and ball joints should do the job. On the lower arm, one bushing is replaceable one is not. So if both bushing are shot replace the whole arm. If the big bushing is the only one this can be replaced on its own. Also, if the 3 motor mounts have never been done I'm sure they need it too. Don't forget to align the car after.
Great info, Lav!
Now, if I order the the LCAs, so I need to order the bushings separately, or do they come mounted on the LCAs?
Thanks!
Old 05-12-15, 09:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

New LCA's come with the bushes. Also forgot to the mention sway bar bushes. That is also an easy diy and you can get those pretty cheap.
Old 05-12-15, 10:38 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

New LCA's come with the bushes. Also forgot to the mention sway bar bushes. That is also an easy diy and you can get those pretty cheap.
I was ready to ask about any other bushings while we're in there!

Any other thoughts on stabilizer bar components?

I hope the upper control arms aren't an issue. I've noticed their price is twice that of LCAs...
Old 05-12-15, 12:31 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I think your just going to have to inspect uca's and check for play and / or deterioration in the upper arms but they are not common. The front lowers seem to take most of the abuse. Between motor mounts, lower arms, and ball joints this will help a lot. Replacing the front and rear sway bar bushes helps with swaying of course and tracking when driving.
Old 05-12-15, 02:04 PM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the right up! Does your car experience slight wandering?
Old 05-12-15, 04:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

No, not really. Maybe a little before I replaced all the bushes. The sports rear sway bar + sport bushes helps without sacrificing comfort.
Old 05-13-15, 03:30 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

No, not really. Maybe a little before I replaced all the bushes. The sports rear sway bar + sport bushes helps without sacrificing comfort.
Is it possible to upgrade my present 'sway bar' bushings to the sport bushings? If it doesn't affect the comfort, and improves stability, why not?
Old 05-13-15, 08:57 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDoc
Is it possible to upgrade my present 'sway bar' bushings to the sport bushings? If it doesn't affect the comfort, and improves stability, why not?
The rear "sport" sway bushing is sized to fit the slightly larger diameter "sport" sway bar, so it shouldn't be used with a standard sway bar.

You might be able to find an aftermarket poly sway bushing that's a lot firmer, but I wouldn't recommend poly anything on an LS.

The rear factory "sport" sway bar from Lexus is a nice, inexpensive upgrade to the handling that has almost zero ride penalty.
Old 05-13-15, 01:33 PM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
The rear factory "sport" sway bar from Lexus is a nice, inexpensive upgrade to the handling that has almost zero ride penalty.
Exactly why sway bars are excellent suspension upgrades on any car
Old 05-13-15, 09:09 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your cars suspension have any mods?
Old 06-09-15, 11:36 PM
honasbone
Driver

Default Help. Did I wreck inner knuckle threads?

For what was supposed to be such an easy DIY, it's looking like I screwed the pooch. I need some help.

I'm nearly done replacing my LBJ and am trying to reinsert the last 2 assembly bolts, torqued at 83 ft lb. I didn't get the new joint lined up very well with the knuckle and for some reason thought to start tightening down anyway. I thought through the course of tightening that the joint and knuckle would slowly start to line up. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I hit 83 ft lb only half way screwed in. I'm feelin' like a moron at this point.

I've since realized you can make adjustments to the joint such that it lines up with the knuckle just fine. I have it lined up now in fact. But the bolts won't screw in any further. they start getting really tight really quickly. I'm afraid I've cross threaded and done some damage. So the questions are:

1) Have I cross threaded? Or is this something else?
2) If cross threaded, Is it likely the bolts or the knuckle that is damaged?
3) If the threads inside the knuckle are damaged, is a fix possible? Or is replacement of the knuckle necessary?

I've replace the hub, rotor and LCA bushing on this side of the car already with great success. Feeling like a newb at this point despite that. What can/should I do? Appreciate the help!

Last edited by honasbone; 06-09-15 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 06:05 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

Originally Posted by honasbone
For what was supposed to be such an easy DIY, it's looking like I screwed the pooch. I need some help.

I'm nearly done replacing my LBJ and am trying to reinsert the last 2 assembly bolts, torqued at 83 ft lb. I didn't get the new joint lined up very well with the knuckle and for some reason thought to start tightening down anyway. I thought through the course of tightening that the joint and knuckle would slowly start to line up. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I hit 83 ft lb only half way screwed in. I'm feelin' like a moron at this point.

I've since realized you can make adjustments to the joint such that it lines up with the knuckle just fine. I have it lined up now in fact. But the bolts won't screw in any further. they start getting really tight really quickly. I'm afraid I've cross threaded and done some damage. So the questions are:

1) Have I cross threaded? Or is this something else?
2) If cross threaded, Is it likely the bolts or the knuckle that is damaged?
3) If the threads inside the knuckle are damaged, is a fix possible? Or is replacement of the knuckle necessary?

I've replace the hub, rotor and LCA bushing on this side of the car already with great success. Feeling like a newb at this point despite that. What can/should I do? Appreciate the help!

I would remove the problem one and see if you can thread the nut in by hand. This will let you know if it's cross-threaded. If it is, you can get an impact gun and put it in all the way, this will create a new thread so to speak. Ideally you'd use a tap and die to do this, but I have used the above method before with success. You could always take it to a machine shop and have them do this too.
Old 06-10-15, 07:27 AM
honasbone
Driver

I have tried threading by hand directly into the knuckle, bypassing the joint. It's definitely cross threaded.

If I took it to a machine shop, is removing the knuckle a straight forward job? I'm assuming the wheel hub and brakes need to come off, and that it needs to be detached from the upper suspension (is that the upper control arm?). Anything else special I'd need to know about it?

Is it okay to have the knuckle rethreaded? I mean, however it gets done, is it safe on the road after this kind of work is performed?
Old 06-10-15, 07:43 AM
arcteryx
Rookie

If it were me, I would figure out what size tap and die (TnD) it is and rethread it myself. Just make sure it's secured properly from underneath as you will have to use some muscle to rethread it.

You have 3 options though:
1- DIY with a TnD you purchase- least amount of money and moderate effort
2- remove knuckle and have a machine shop do it- most effort and I am guessing medium cost??
3- take it to an indy shop and have them fix it- most money, least effort

If it were me, I would try for #1 first, and then go to #3. My time is valuable as well as the car is a DD, so I don't have a 2-3 days to remove, take it to a shop and replace everything. YMMV.

Quick Reply: DIY - LCA Ball Joint Replacement