LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL Rear Console Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 12:16 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default UL Rear Console Fuse

Hi there. I was cleaning my car today and noticed the rear console in my UL isn't working. The screen is blank and the seats aren't moving. The buttons to control the radio are working. I can use the button in the console to move the rear seats so they are working just not on the console. I can't figure out where the fuse is for this panel. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-14, 01:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Check the trunk drivers side. Look behind the covers for a fuse box.
Old 12-18-14, 01:44 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Check the trunk drivers side. Look behind the covers for a fuse box.
Yes just not sure which one powers the console. Not seeing it in the manual
Old 12-18-14, 03:08 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
...I can use the button in the console to move the rear seats so they are working just not on the console.
If I understand you correctly, you said the radio control panel in the rear armrest is working but the power seat control panel is not working. You also said that you can move the rear seat from another "console", so the seat motors are receiving power. This suggests that a blown fuse is not likely to be the culprit.

Please take a look at the diagram below, I suspect one of the connectors was disconnected accidentally. I would start with the rear power seat switch assembly.

...and after you confirm that all connectors are seated properly and the problem persists, then the next step is dig deeper into ECUs, fuses, and electrical components. Below are diagrams showing locations of these hardware...

Last edited by rkw77080; 12-18-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-18-14, 07:47 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thank you this is helpful. I will look into this. It was working a day or two ago. Ugh. Always something it seems
Old 12-19-14, 12:00 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Here are some more electrical schematics for the rear power seat system. The "control switch" of interest is shown on Page 403 (middle of page), and if you trace the power wire (G-W), you will see that it's powered by a fuse called "MPX-B1" on Page 406. This fuse is located in the passenger side kick panel junction box. You may want to test for 12V power on the G-W wire at the armrest connector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Power Seats.pdf (2.83 MB, 293 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by rkw77080; 12-19-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 05:26 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thank you. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. I was out playing with it tonight and here is what is happening

-LCD screen on rear armrest is not illuminating
-illuminated buttons on the armrest and the heated seat and sunshade buttons are not working
-power seat and power headrest and massager buttons are not working (the motors for the seats are working from the rear seat reset button on the front panel)
-buttons controlling all radio and AC functions are working, but are not illuminating

I thought maybe there was a lock button or something that shuts off those functions but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 12-23-14, 09:12 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ok took it all apart. I checked fuses and all connections. The main power cord into the armrest is causing this. If I jiggle it the armrest loses power. I was able to tape it in place and it is working fine. Not a long term fix however. Any ideas?
Old 12-24-14, 12:51 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Ok took it all apart. I checked fuses and all connections. The main power cord into the armrest is causing this. If I jiggle it the armrest loses power. I was able to tape it in place and it is working fine. Not a long term fix however. Any ideas?
The loss of power is the result of a break in the wiring, typically occurs at a connector. If you're certain that the connectors are not the culprit for the loss of power when you "jiggle" the main power cord, then we're talking broken wires. Take a close look for any signs of pinched wire.

Did you actually disconnect the connectors (near where you "jiggle") to make sure there's no corrosion or lose pins? Can you post some photos?
Old 04-17-15, 07:08 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ok this issue has popped up again. I have taken the whole rear armrest apart and part of the seat checking the wires. Everything looks fine. I'm jiggling the main connector, and that is intermittently working. There is also a connector that is taped up and doesn't connect anywhere on the armrest. Is that normal???
Old 04-17-15, 11:13 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok this issue has popped up again. I have taken the whole rear armrest apart and part of the seat checking the wires. Everything looks fine. I'm jiggling the main connector, and that is intermittently working. There is also a connector that is taped up and doesn't connect anywhere on the armrest. Is that normal???
Its normal for there to be connectors that are not used. Sometimes they are for options or trim packages other than the one you have.

I would unplug the suspect connector and look inside to see if there is any damage/corrosion in there. It may be as simple as cleaning the connector.
Old 04-18-15, 05:32 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a similar problem. In addition, the radio works fine but is not lit. It happens in tandem with the illunination of the rear armrest panel in my '02 UL.
Old 04-18-15, 09:18 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Been fiddling with it this morning and got it working. I don't think it's fixed for good though. It's still pretty glitchy when I move the armrest
Old 10-29-15, 11:05 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Hi everyone. I am still struggling with this problem. I have taken the console out, checked connectors, all looks good. Next step was to remove the seat back but I can't get the headrest up because they are powered. Should I just pull it up?
Old 09-04-18, 06:30 AM
jacob80
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving this thread - I'm experiencing avery similar issue with the rear seat control switch.

HVAC and Radio controls do not illuminate, nor does the LCD screen for radio controls. HVAC **** controls are intermittent and "stick" (either the green LED light stays on or off when you press the button to turn it on/off).

Power reclining seats, head rests, radio controls, sunshade, fridge, etc all work as expected.

Sometimes the radio screen will work, but will randomly turn off or will turn off if I press the HVAC control ****.

I've checked and cleaned all connections in the console as well as the rear fuse box. Also checked MPX-B1 fuse under the passenger kick panel. No dice.

Quick Reply: UL Rear Console Fuse