LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Primacys cracking with 15,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 03:18 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Primacys cracking with 15,000 miles

I purchased a new set of 17 inch Primacy MXV4s (V rated) for my 2001 LS430 4 years ago. Although I don't drive many miles each year, I was still quite surprised to see sidewall cracking/checking as well as signs of the tread cracking. The tread cracking was my biggest concern for fear of a blowout. After doing some research and inquiring, I was told that Michelins are no stranger to cracking issues. Regardless, this was unacceptable. I returned to Sears and had all the tires replaced with 4 new crispy Primacys. The tires were pro rated as I still had over 6/32nds of tread left. I really like the Primacy as it is one of the quietest, most comfortable tire around for our LS430. However, It looks like Michelin is replacing the Primacy with the Premier A/S. More than likely, the less popular sizes in the Primacy will be discontinued. It may be a tall order for the Michelin Premier A/S to stack up to the Primacy. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 10-31-14 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 04:39 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i had my primacy tires for over four years and put premier a/s tires on and i love these tires.much better the the primacy tires,not saying these were bad tires but the premiers are a upgrade.
Old 10-31-14, 04:49 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i had my primacy tires for over four years and put premier a/s tires on and i love these tires.much better the the primacy tires,not saying these were bad tires but the premiers are a upgrade.
What are you driving? How many miles have you put on the Premiers? I was kind of turned off to the lesser tread depth of 8/32nds on the Premiers compared to 11/32nds on the Primacys.
Old 10-31-14, 08:24 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Bocatrip - thanks for the heads up. I'll check mine this weekend - they are 4 years old and have maybe 35k on them.
Old 11-01-14, 08:49 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
What are you driving? How many miles have you put on the Premiers? I was kind of turned off to the lesser tread depth of 8/32nds on the Premiers compared to 11/32nds on the Primacys.
i have 5k miles on the new tires.i have a 06 ls 18" wheels.i am impressed every time i drive the ls with the premiers,when the road is wet it handles and stops amazingly well.
i love how smooth and quiet they are.
Old 11-01-14, 08:55 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Those hot asphalt roads in FL are really rough on tires. When the car sits for a period of time, they just bake... Had to replace Michelins with 20K on them on a GS430 after only 3 years. Still had 2/3's tread left but the tire was extremely cracked all over the tread. Not sure if I trust Michelin's compound any more...
Old 11-01-14, 02:42 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Those hot asphalt roads in FL are really rough on tires. When the car sits for a period of time, they just bake... Had to replace Michelins with 20K on them on a GS430 after only 3 years. Still had 2/3's tread left but the tire was extremely cracked all over the tread. Not sure if I trust Michelin's compound any more...
Yes indeed, the Florida roads are brutal on tires, paint, and batteries. However, I never had this happen to any tire I purchased here with so little miles. I was told not to put any tire dressing on the sidewalls as that serves as a catalyst in destroying the rubber. I had an idea about that anyway. The rubber has a protective coating on the sidewalls that gets destroyed by some dressings. I'll be keeping on eye on these newer tires.
Old 11-01-14, 05:20 PM
Dockof-bay
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I purchased a new set of 17 inch Primacy MXV4s (V rated) for my 2001 LS430 4 years ago. Although I don't drive many miles each year, I was still quite surprised to see sidewall cracking/checking as well as signs of the tread cracking. The tread cracking was my biggest concern for fear of a blowout. After doing some research and inquiring, I was told that Michelins are no stranger to cracking issues. Regardless, this was unacceptable. I returned to Sears and had all the tires replaced with 4 new crispy Primacys. The tires were pro rated as I still had over 6/32nds of tread left. I really like the Primacy as it is one of the quietest, most comfortable tire around for our LS430. However, It looks like Michelin is replacing the Primacy with the Premier A/S. More than likely, the less popular sizes in the Primacy will be discontinued. It may be a tall order for the Michelin Premier A/S to stack up to the Primacy. Only time will tell.
I had a Sequoia with a set of cracking michelins some years back, and went into America's Tire store out here in Cali. The tire manager said he would call michelin to see what he could do for me. Sure enough, michelin gave me 35% discount on a new set of tires. Amount of tread depth left
Old 11-02-14, 08:01 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

With so many cars in FL that sit for extended periods of time, the heat just ruins the Michelin compound. If the car is not driven much, that actually is worse for the tire... I recently replaced some tires and a few dealers in FL told me they do not recommend Michelin to customers. The cost plus the cracking of the tread is against Michelin.
Old 11-02-14, 08:39 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Checked my Primacy tires today. No cracking or crazing on the sidewalls after 3 years. Texas is hot but my car is not driven much and always garaged.
Old 11-03-14, 09:05 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Checked my Primacy tires today. No cracking or crazing on the sidewalls after 3 years. Texas is hot but my car is not driven much and always garaged.
Being garaged is important... Not sitting parked in the sun or even under a carport on asphalt is the key... I have been told that Hankook tires are being recommended in FL and Naples. Not sure if it is 100% true but those tires have been holding up better. Time will tell. LOL...
Old 11-03-14, 02:40 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Glad to hear that you are in the clear. My car is garaged about 50% of the time, and I go through many automatic car washes. I'm curious to see how the new set hold up. I hope I'm not posting any tire threads again soon.
Old 11-06-14, 11:36 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Primacy are your run of the mill tires, nothing special about them, and in my few experiences JUNK

They don't last, and of course, prematurely 'crack'.

I bought a 2012 CT200h, at the time it was a hair over a year old in 2013, with ~15k KMS [9.5k mi], and they have fine cracks between the treads and in the sidewall. Have a whole 23k kms on it now, they've always been a cheap tire that manufacturer's turn to to keep costs down while clients happy with a 'quiet ride'...

It can be hot where I'm at, but not as bad as FL, and they're still flawed. Also, stored in the winter!

My 0.02.
Old 03-24-23, 11:55 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Moving away from 18's

I have had enough of buying tires. My 05 UL has the factory 18" chrome wheels. It took a few months, found a good deal on 17's. Beat the guy down to 300 bucks for wheels only, the tires were 2015 and dry rotted. The wheels are great 17 X 7.5 X45 no curb rash and powder coated, Infiniti wheels, very light. Who knows about the TPMS system? Infiniti and Lexus both use 315 Mhz is it just a matter of introducing them to my car via the Lexus service software?
IMHO the 430 is a heavy car to have on 50 series, given the fine condition of our crumbling infrastructure. Thanks for the tip on Walmart, they beat tire rack substantially on the same tire. I'm thinkin Pirelli P7's with the current rebate they are 117.33 each shipped to my door. That's cheapo tire territory. Am a little concerned on wet traction given where I live any experience with the current P7 all season plus 3? The "2" version was downgraded for wet handling, otherwise really good. I have had enough of my local Les Schwab here, Last go round? They kept my wheel lock key!! I refuse to go back, I bought the special socket and got rid of the locks. Typically they are great, my local store is awful. No one steals tires and wheels anymore, they take the whole darn car. Not much "protection" with locking lug nuts, special sockets are 20 bucks and has them off like butter. Sorry bout the Les Schwab rant, one gets rather angry with a flat on the freeway after a very long day, to have my car towed home due to no way to install the spare.
Old 03-27-23, 09:45 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

i had a set of Michelins that cracked in about 5 years, despite having tons of tread left. They were great tires, smooth and quiet , but I won't ever buy them again because they just dont last long in hot sunny climates

Quick Reply: Primacys cracking with 15,000 miles