LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What should I pay for the 90k service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 01:25 PM
5spd97
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rub with supplying your own parts is that if something goes wrong after your service the installer can blame the parts that you supplied. It would be up to you to prove that his labor was at fault, and that would turn out to be time consuming, aggravating and stressful, and possibly expensive.
Old 03-13-15, 01:32 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got mine done at a Toyota dealership - $725.00 out the door for timing belt, water pump (plus coolant), and serpentine belt. Was $499 just for timing belt work; asked about water-pump and they said it would be an extra $300 +$30 for coolant and $60 for serpentine belt.
He took off $100 for the water pump and I had a 10%coupon that got it done for about $725 out the door. I'm at 218k miles and hope to be good until 300k when I might upgrade to an LS460 by which time I hope it should be in my price range
Old 03-14-15, 01:00 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

if you have an '04- '06 with the lifetime transmission fluid and have not already done something you might consider it at this point. if you wait until 100,000 miles like my owners manual suggests it will almost always need some attention. drain and fill or full fluid replacement I am unsure, but begin to consider your long term options.
Old 03-14-15, 10:21 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wise2k
I just got mine done at a Toyota dealership - $725.00 out the door for timing belt, water pump (plus coolant), and serpentine belt. Was $499 just for timing belt work; asked about water-pump and they said it would be an extra $300 +$30 for coolant and $60 for serpentine belt.
He took off $100 for the water pump and I had a 10%coupon that got it done for about $725 out the door. I'm at 218k miles and hope to be good until 300k when I might upgrade to an LS460 by which time I hope it should be in my price range
Did they try to recommend replacing the idler, tensioner and thermostat as well?
My Toyota dealership parts dept said they didn't have the parts for a LS430 (3UZ-FE), and so I bought the parts from Amazon. The parts are similar to a Toyota Tundra (2UZ-FE), I think.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 03-14-15, 10:40 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The main problem with service pricing is location. It seems in the south east areas things are just cheaper. So if a dealer sets a price nation wide, they goof themselves up in those states, as they are then not competitive.
I'm a DIY person, but still I think the best value is the Lexus dealer, in my area some time back I compared TB replacement prices, and all the independents where higher priced than the Lexus dealer, and did not include a loaner car. And that made the Lexus dealer shine.
Old 03-16-15, 09:24 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
Did they try to recommend replacing the idler, tensioner and thermostat as well?
My Toyota dealership parts dept said they didn't have the parts for a LS430 (3UZ-FE), and so I bought the parts from Amazon. The parts are similar to a Toyota Tundra (2UZ-FE), I think.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
No, actually when I asked the service rep writing me up he said they never have to replace the tensioner. I took his word for it.
Old 03-16-15, 03:36 PM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $918 at my local Toyota dealer. Can't remember all specifics, but believe it included belt (obviously), water pump, crank & cam seals, thermostat, idler, labor, and an oil change. Not as cheap as some others on here, but not as much as Lexus wanted either...
Old 10-13-19, 09:29 AM
freelover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Says they are obligated to perform repairs and maintenance and again it is their call. Sounds like they are not obligated. You should sell the car and get another one.
Old 10-16-19, 09:14 PM
Hipatchy
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Paid $1,900 CAD today for this at the lexus dealer.
They used lexus brand parts.
Old 10-17-19, 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is an old thread, but assuming the newest LS430 is over 13 years old, but most are over 14 (some were made in June 2006 but most by November 2005), imho it is not a good idea to have a Lexus dealer perform a major service any longer.

I think their is a mystique associated with having a car serviced at only a dealership, but I will stake my reputation on it. Indies do better work, they have to. One upset customer or one single case of wrongdoing they could be out of business. Not so with a dealership.

Take a brake fluid flush--dealer is not going around to all 4 corners and pushing new fluid out. At least not the one I went to. Would you do 1/4 of a job on your own car? No, you would not. And neither would an indie if he wants to stay in business. But a dealer tech is compensated by the job, and this is an extreme case of time is money. There's zero money to be made marking up a pint of brake fluid. There is on a brake job and/or a major service.
Old 10-17-19, 06:56 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Ill throw this out — If anyone else needs a TB job done and you’re in the northeast, I will do it for $600 including parts. I’ve done so many of these by now it’s easy
Old 10-17-19, 07:59 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you are looking to minimize maint cost but still take good care of the car avoid paying for the "services packs" that dealers push on customers (15k, 30k, 60k,90k, etc) For the most part these packaged services are a costly rip off. Instead perform service per the maintenance manual schedule in a la carte fashion. And do as much of small easy stuff (oil change, air filters, brakes, differential fluid change, etc) yourself and only use shop for more difficult or complex work (like TB/WP replacement). And even then buy the OEM Lexus parts yourself on line at a discount and then shop by phone for lowest labor only quote at respected shops/dealer that work on Lexus.
Originally Posted by notwealthy
Good luck finding a reputable shop that will work with customer supplied parts
Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Actually luck is not required. Many but not all shops have no issue quoting labor rates to instal customer supplied parts. Very few want to work with unknown brand X parts. The key it is to explain up front that you have Toyota/Lexus OEM parts ready to be installed. I have rarely had a problem getting labor rates quoted over the phone when I explained I had brand new OEM parts that needed to be installed.

This can save serious cash because OEM parts can almost always be ordered on line at a significant discount.

Obviously a dealer or shop would prefer to charge customer full retail for the parts that they obtain wholesale in addition to profit on labor rate. Parts margin is gravy for them. But they will generally agree to work for labor rates which still provide them with a reasonable profit. I prefer that dealers and independent shops make the really big profits on someone else besides me.
Just adding my experience.... Reputable indies guarantee parts they buy. You buy the parts, NO guarantee. Reputable indies charge a higher labor rates, if will do work at all, when customer provides parts, as a deterrent, because they do not want to do such work and wish to avoid the trouble should a part fail. If the indie will do the work, and a customer provided part fails, going back to the indie will require customer paying for part the second time and paying higher labor rate the second time.
Old 10-17-19, 08:22 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Ill throw this out — If anyone else needs a TB job done and you’re in the northeast, I will do it for $600 including parts. I’ve done so many of these by now it’s easy
Wow! That is a great offer! Very nice of you!
Old 10-17-19, 09:12 AM
heartygrn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Peacebay
I'll take you up on this in a while. I'm in MA. I'm at 195K, TB last done at 92K 6 years ago. Was thinking of doing it myself but the guidance of someone with experience would be huge.
Old 10-17-19, 09:17 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by heartygrn
I'll take you up on this in a while. I'm in MA. I'm at 195K, TB last done at 92K 6 years ago. Was thinking of doing it myself but the guidance of someone with experience would be huge.
For sure. Let me know

Quick Reply: What should I pay for the 90k service?