LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 02:40 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
OMG Bob. that sounds exactly like what I was told. passed on the Strada's because they were V rated and I wanted to stay with H rated tires.
Yeah, I call shenanigans. No way Pirelli is discontinuing the P7AS+ and only selling it's replacement at Discount Tire. I suspect that Strada is a lower quality, cheaper tire made for Discount Tire and they are trying to push it to make more margin. No proof of that, but I've seen that happen before with other products. I've always heard that the tire manufactures put on their cars oem are not as good as the same tire from the aftermarket. Something is fishy.
Old 10-22-16, 03:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by toddmorr
placed an order at sam's club a good three weeks ago for these Pirelli tires. Still on back order.
. Ordered Premier ltx for wife's SUV before the expiration of the $70 instant rebate at Costco on Thu, they are on the way to the store with FedEx tracking. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and use them next yr for the LS....
Old 10-24-16, 04:35 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Tried the P7AS+ V rated and didn't like them as much as the 20K mile Premier AS V rated that I took off. Definitely stiffer over road imperfections. Noise level was about the same. Swapped out and got the H rated, and their are much more complaint over road imperfections, with the difference being more noticeable the bigger the imperfection. All three are very close on noise, but I give the edge to the H rates P7AS+. The Premier AS didn't seem any louder after 20K than I remember them being new. Not sure about the H Rated Premier AS. I'd really like to try them now. But the P7AS+ is very quiet and does a great job with bumps and imperfections. The H rated P7AS+ is the worst handling of the three. Noticeably less crisp. Rolling resistance is very good with the P7AS+. Better than the Premier AS. I will also report back on the wet handling of the P7AS+ when I have some rain to play in.

I will leave the H rated P7AS+ on for 20K and then put the Premiers Vs back on to compare. Still not apples to apples with one being V rated and the other H rated, but I will report how the P7AS+ holds up. The Premier AS V rated were like the day I bought them after 20K. Hopefully these P7AS+ will behave the same. Upon initial impression, it seems to be a very good option. Still not crazy about the looks, but it performs well.

Last edited by Bob04; 10-24-16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 09:35 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
. Ordered Premier ltx for wife's SUV before the expiration of the $70 instant rebate at Costco on Thu, they are on the way to the store with FedEx tracking. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and use them next yr for the LS....
No LTX not a good idea for an LS. It's a truck/SUV tire and will ride/sound like it.
Old 10-24-16, 09:38 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I always go with the highest speed rating, figuring higher is better....even my Maxima (which is capable to 137 mph since it's unbridled and drag limited) has always had W rated tire, and they are not expensive (about $80 ea). imho there's no reason to bother with S,T,H....even though nobody in their right mind is going to take a LS430 to 130 mph....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ecsta+4X+II
LOL you might be surprised that a few people in here have done 130
Old 10-25-16, 12:54 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am curiouse how do 2 tires the same size look different where one is more appealing? Is it the lettering on the side out of the mold? Tread? thanks
Old 10-25-16, 04:33 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

=
Originally Posted by warminwisc
I am curiouse how do 2 tires the same size look different where one is more appealing? Is it the lettering on the side out of the mold? Tread? thanks
It is the lettering on the side out of the mold. The P7AS+ alternates between shiny gloss and line gradient section with lettering. The line gradient sections are rounded off. I can't figure out if it looks sporty or cheap, or both. Just looks odd to me on the LS. I think the Pirelli logo and font make it look sportier, but the mold design makes it look cheap. The Premier has a much more traditional, conservative style.

Purely subjective. Some may prefer the opposite.
Old 10-25-16, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
LOL you might be surprised that a few people in here have done 130
hehe you're making me feel wimpy.....I just told my dad, that I feel that when you're a teenager, you're not a good driver due to lack of experience, and then when elderly, from my observation, one's reflexes aren't as good, and he agreed....I then told him (he doesn't remember this story) I went 155 on the NYS Thruway and was caught by a Sunoco Special (back then). this is proof that when I was 19, at least from my perspective, I was invincible. I would surmise the LS is capable of 155 if it weren't limited....why did Toyota limit it like that??? Esp. if it was sold in Europe....
Old 10-25-16, 05:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
=

It is the lettering on the side out of the mold. The P7AS+ alternates between shiny gloss and line gradient section with lettering. The line gradient sections are rounded off. I can't figure out if it looks sporty or cheap, or both. Just looks odd to me on the LS. I think the Pirelli logo and font make it look sportier, but the mold design makes it look cheap. The Premier has a much more traditional, conservative style.

Purely subjective. Some may prefer the opposite.
I wanted to get Scorpions for my wife's SUV, because I thought the eight-legged creature on the sidewall was bad a**.......and I know some premium SUVs come with them from the factory. My buddy talked me out of them, said his were shot in 27k....so he tried the Premier LTX and they did over 70k.....(Lincoln Navigator). I wonder if Michelin's claim is true that the newer tires are good when new AND when worn....
Old 10-25-16, 06:40 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

On my touareg, a debadged detuned cayenne the scorpions are still 7/32 at 26k miles. I put the Michelins on my last touareg when the contis wore out at 22k miles. I felt the michelins did not handle as well at all as the scorpions or the contis. they may last longer but are also more $. Anyway this is on a touareg not a expedition but still 5200 lbs and AWD. Perelli P for Performance Michelin M for show me the Money lol..
Old 10-25-16, 06:44 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I look at treadwear and tire pressure when I look at my tires not really the stamping on the tires. Certainly brand recognition, the michelins are more attractive, but I could give a rip myself, just me. Michelins are the caddys of all tires I agree.
Old 10-26-16, 05:37 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I look at treadwear and tire pressure when I look at my tires not really the stamping on the tires. Certainly brand recognition, the michelins are more attractive, but I could give a rip myself, just me. Michelins are the caddys of all tires I agree.
Yeah, I certainly wasn't a deciding factor in the purchase, obviously, since I did purchase them. Comes way down the list, with many things being much more important things to consider. It was just an observation. Not sure how many people pay that much attention anyway.
Old 10-26-16, 06:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

remember treadwear cannot be used to cross-shop makes, it can only be applied to tires of the same mfg. My Bridgestone RE050A's had a UTQG of 140 A A, yet went well over 40k. This number is only relevant when comparing to Bridgestones. Others on my forum replaced the same tires in < 12k. Driving style also has an impact.
Old 12-14-16, 09:55 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok here is some data on my P7 Plus'
Purchased in May 2015
Total miles to date= 24,630
Current Thread depths: 2 tires are between 7-8/32 and 2 are between 6-7/32
Old 12-14-16, 01:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

I don't need tires yet and currently have the famous Primacys MXV4 with about 12,000 miles on them. These tires replaced another set of Primacys after only 15,000 miles due to the side walls getting small cracking and dry rot. The tires were prorated and cost me very little for the new set. However, I still notice that the outside edges of the Primacys inside and out on all 4 tires wear faster than the rest of the tire. I understand I am driving an aircraft carrier and the weight doesn't help on turns. I cannot see owning these tires much longer than 20,000 miles. I do 95% city driving and the tires pressures are always around 35lbs. If I still own my car next year and need tires it will most likely be the Premiers but will consider the P7s. Only downfall with the Premiers is starting out with 8/32nds of tread depth rather than 11/32nds that most tires have.

Quick Reply: Decided to go with Pirelli P7 for my LS430