LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06 ls430 auto leveling headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 08:44 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ls430 auto leveling headlight issues

I noticed last night my Ls headlight was aiming very low ...no warning light ..no haedlight moving up or down in start up....the only thing I did was change wheels from my factory to 20 inch wheels. The wheels has larger profile then the recommended size, 245/45/20 which made my car a little taller. Can this be the culprit of the problem ? Im supposing if I had a malfunction on the system it should warn me on the dash right?
Old 10-14-14, 03:22 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Please check a fuse labeled "AM1" in the driver-side kick panel J/B, and a fuse labeled "H-LP LVL" in the passenger-side kick panel J/B.

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-14-14 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 09:32 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default fuse

I check the passenger fuse 28 which is a 7.5 amp and its good...but I will check the driver tommorrow. I also read miny manual and it stated that if the self leveling system malfunction it will trigger a afs light regardless if its leveling or the actual afs . Im not getting any warning light but I dont understand why my light wont self test on initial start up like usual . It still moved up and down the first few weeks but I just noticed it didnt do it anymore. I also remove the rear arm on the sensor and try to move the sensor in and out but the headlight doesnt move up or down ....is there a fuse for the headlight motor?

Last edited by lexusls4; 10-15-14 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add detail
Old 10-15-14, 02:59 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The height sensor for the system may have been damaged or be out of whack from the installation.
Old 10-15-14, 10:43 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default sensor

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The height sensor for the system may have been damaged or be out of whack from the installation.
the leveling system was working weeks after the wheels was put on but,just stop suddenly . I dont understand why I dont get any warning light ...im a decent mechanic ...I am aware most warning message will only detect electrical failure not mechanical . In this case its mechanical because my headlight motor is not doing the self test,but it should throw a code if the actuator is dead. The manual stated that any malfunction will trigger the afs light . When I unplug the rear hieght sensor I get the blinking afs light so my sensor is working . My afs is working because my headlight still swivel on making right or left turns, so Im thinking the actuator is still working . What can it be im confused ..I understand the whole leveling system and how it works but this puzzled me .
Old 10-16-14, 04:11 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

I share your frustration, Lexusls4... Electronic issues are often difficult to troubleshoot.
Your latest post tells me that the AFS ECU is receiving power because headlights can swivel and the AFS OFF warning light still illuminates.
Refer to the diagram in Post #5, each headlight has separate level actuators to aim the headlights up-and-down (driver-side: H26, passenger-side: H27) and swivel motors to aim the headlights side-to-side (driver-side: H28, passenger-side: H29).
Have you checked to see if you have any error codes? Here are the possible codes:
B2416 - Height control sensor malfunction
B2417 - Headlight beam level control motor LH malfunction
B2418 - Headlight beam level control motor RH malfunction
It's very unlikely that both LH and RH level control motors go bad at the same time, so I would start troubleshooting at the height control sensor. Please let me know if you need help to proceed.
Old 10-16-14, 08:06 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rkw77080
I share your frustration, Lexusls4... Electronic issues are often difficult to troubleshoot.
Your latest post tells me that the AFS ECU is receiving power because headlights can swivel and the AFS OFF warning light still illuminates.
Refer to the diagram in Post #5, each headlight has separate level actuators to aim the headlights up-and-down (driver-side: H26, passenger-side: H27) and swivel motors to aim the headlights side-to-side (driver-side: H28, passenger-side: H29).
Have you checked to see if you have any error codes? Here are the possible codes:
B2416 - Height control sensor malfunction
B2417 - Headlight beam level control motor LH malfunction
B2418 - Headlight beam level control motor RH malfunction
It's very unlikely that both LH and RH level control motors go bad at the same time, so I would start troubleshooting at the height control sensor. Please let me know if you need help to proceed.
The system is working partial and no warning light . When I start up the light will move side to side but no up or down . Only thing left is changing my wheel back to factory , if this fixed it which I highly doubt it. I unplug the height control sensor and the afs was flashing so its working ....beside the sensor wont cause the light not to calibrate at start up
Old 10-16-14, 11:48 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default leveling issue

Yes I will update this as soon as its resolve in case someone has the same delima. Thanks for your imput .
Old 10-16-14, 08:59 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default code

How do I get these code..and is these code only present while having a afs light?
Old 10-17-14, 03:42 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

You can read (and clear if you want) these codes with a OBD II code reader. OBD-II is the second generation On-board diagnostics handheld reader that you connect to the LS430 via a port under the steering column. Here's a link to some of these readers
http://actron.com/product_category.php?id=249
The DTC, which stands for Diagnostic Trouble Code, is a 4-digit, preceded by a letter: P for powertrain, B for body, C for chassis, or U for network. If you don't have a OBD II reader, you may ask your AutoZone (free of charge) or dealership (for a fee, but possibly free) to read them for you.

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-17-14 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-17-14, 08:59 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default sensor

Ok I took the sensor off and the design of the leeveling doesnt make sense. On the arm itself that rotates theres a hole . Theres a piece of plastic pin inside the hole,that suppose to be a part of a small bracket that can be adjust held by a phillip head screw. I know its broken because it line up with the hole on the bracket . How is it supposed to adjust the headlight when that pin holds the arm from moving
Old 10-17-14, 09:52 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default update

I have looked into the leveling system and this is what I found out..if the headlight ever fall into a default mode, the headlight will be all the way down causing it to bind ....because on start up its supposed to move up first then down and it levels out. The headlight supposed to rest in the middle aiming to the appropriate level . If its on default , its resting at the down position which will cause a binding sound and you will have to tap on both headlight to get it going when its doing the calibration . Once its moving up and down it will come to rest and stay in the middle ...I figure it out but I dont understand why theres a hole on the arm. It has a stopper on a bracket that keeps the arm from sweeping ...
Old 05-17-21, 07:05 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls4
I have looked into the leveling system and this is what I found out..if the headlight ever fall into a default mode, the headlight will be all the way down causing it to bind ....because on start up its supposed to move up first then down and it levels out. The headlight supposed to rest in the middle aiming to the appropriate level . If its on default , its resting at the down position which will cause a binding sound and you will have to tap on both headlight to get it going when its doing the calibration . Once its moving up and down it will come to rest and stay in the middle ...I figure it out but I dont understand why theres a hole on the arm. It has a stopper on a bracket that keeps the arm from sweeping ...
I know I'm digging up a very old thread but I'm having the same issue and finding any kind of suggestions on how to fix. I'm hoping the OP would be able give a little better description of what it to took to fix. From this post it sounds like he just tapped maybe on the sensor on the back of the headlight as it was doing it's calibration?