LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 air suspension question...

Old 10-26-14, 05:54 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts
Default LS430 air suspension question...

Here is a quick question for air suspension and people who's had one shock fail on them. I know how air suspension works but, not sure on when they fail.

So if you have one corner fail in a car, does the air just go to the lowest point and drive hard, does the car sit funky or does it make the car un-drivable ?

I've always liked the thought of air(for ride comfort) but, afraid of the possible costs but, if it renders the car un-drivable or makes the car look funny because of the way it sits, it would be a no question to skip it.

This is figuring warranty is up and something I would have to live with for a little bit (maybe a month or so)

I've always wondered this and never saw anyone ask it...
Old 10-26-14, 08:26 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey David,
This is an on-going LS430 important question for sure.

I have owned both types of suspension. On my UL, I had air suspension of course. I really had no problem with it at all, during the 2 years I owned the vehicle. I drive responsibly, go easy on the bumps, stay away from holes and ponds etc. and I have never had the issue of the shock just dropping on it's own. My car had around 150k miles on it. Suspension is OEM and never has been changed.
- I only had one incident, in which it was my fault.
I was driving at night going around 45-50 mph, and I ran over a pot hole on the ground. I went over it just on my rear right suspension. Right away, I heard a big loud impact and the car dropped on that side.
Car ride change immediately, it was wobbly on that side, and the tire almost hits the fender.

Swapped it out with a new one, and that was it. Car returned the way it was.

On the other hand, I currently own a ML with normal suspension not air. Never had any issues with it as well.

In my opinion, the normal suspension drives waaay better than air. Car feels more stable and less wobbly at times.
Old 10-26-14, 08:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

It's rougher and can feel more unsettled when you hit potholes or road surface breaks or imperfections at highway speed especially. Mine was still perfectly drivable.
Old 10-26-14, 08:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The best way is to monitor your air compressor. How often it is turning on and off. Also inspecting for hydronic fluid leaking under the protective cover boot. The one covering the air bag itself.

As far as the ride, I love my UL. Very comfortable. Don't over inflate the tires as this will cause the ride to be less than ideal. I also upgraded my UL to the sport model rear sway bar and bushings. This also helps improve handling. The cornering is not great even in sport mode but it's a heavy luxury sedan and for its weight it is impressive.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-26-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 06:39 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It's rougher and can feel more unsettled when you hit potholes or road surface breaks or imperfections at highway speed especially. Mine was still perfectly drivable.
Thanks, now the question I really have, knowing that it will drive hard and not as comfortable, If you lost one on one side, does the car sit funny ?

Meaning will you or anyone else notice from looking at the car that a air shock has failed parking or driving it. Or will it look normal (all sides at the same level), just not being able to adjust height till it's fixed ?

I've always kind of wanted air in a LS (on my 2nd LS) just to experience it but, of course there is a few worries about this option due the failure rate (at least according to these threads). This is on a LS430 or possibly a LS460.

This is always of course if the car I look to buy is out of warranty, or the warranty is not a option for the car I buy.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 10-27-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 07:43 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Thanks, now the question I really have, knowing that it will drive hard and not as comfortable, If you lost one on one side, does the car sit funny ?

Meaning will you or anyone else notice from looking at the car that a air shock has failed parking or driving it. Or will it look normal (all sides at the same level), just not being able to adjust height till it's fixed ?
The left front blew on my 2001 ls430 ul and the drop was so much that the tire scrubbed on turns.
This was with factory suspension and 18 " 2005 wheels and tires.

My wife and children laughed at the way the car looked as they followed me.
Left front down, right rear up, so yeah, funny looking.

I did not feel comfortable letting anyone drive it, as it would dart and thump on the slightest
bump.

Also hit or scrubbed on all the curb stops at stores, etc.

I replaced all with mechanical shocks and am very satisfied with the ride.

Just my 2cents.

Alan
Old 10-27-14, 04:54 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by alanchad
The left front blew on my 2001 ls430 ul and the drop was so much that the tire scrubbed on turns.
This was with factory suspension and 18 " 2005 wheels and tires.

My wife and children laughed at the way the car looked as they followed me.
Left front down, right rear up, so yeah, funny looking.

I did not feel comfortable letting anyone drive it, as it would dart and thump on the slightest
bump.

Also hit or scrubbed on all the curb stops at stores, etc.

I replaced all with mechanical shocks and am very satisfied with the ride.

Just my 2cents.

Alan
Thanks, Exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds like in my next car, it might be a challenge to get everything I want (self park, with Active cruse and ML/NAV) with out air...

Looks like I will avoid air in my next car.. If it was something I could live with for a short time, ok but, if I take chance of damaging the car or making it stand out, not worth it in my eyes... Unless the car comes with a long term warranty on it to cover it.

Oh, well... Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and info here.
Old 10-29-14, 03:27 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Thanks, Exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds like in my next car, it might be a challenge to get everything I want (self park, with Active cruse and ML/NAV) with out air...

Looks like I will avoid air in my next car.. If it was something I could live with for a short time, ok but, if I take chance of damaging the car or making it stand out, not worth it in my eyes... Unless the car comes with a long term warranty on it to cover it.

Oh, well... Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and info here.
Just keep an eye out for a Custom Luxury 04-06 LS430.
Old 11-01-14, 03:15 AM
radohanno
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jsem majitel LS430 se vzduchovým podvozkem. U nás v ČESKÉ REPUBLICE jsou velmi špatné cesty. A můj vzduchový podvozek je na tyto cesty perfektní. Mám i jiné auta z klasickými pružinami a ty neumí tak vyhladit cestu jako Lexus.....Proti tomuto podvozku mluví pouze cena za nové vzduchové tlumiče.
Jízda s Lexusem je perfektní zážitek.

Moderator edit, please use English. Per google translate
I am the owner LS430 with air suspension. For us in CZECH REPUBLIC are very bad way. And my air chassis is perfect for these trips . I have other cars from the classic spring and you can not wipe out the path so as Lexus ..... against this chassis speaks only price for a new air dampers .
Driving the Lexus is the perfect experience.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-01-14 at 05:52 AM.