LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can anyone explain the Mercury Metallic color phenomenon?

Old 08-29-14, 06:31 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If you guys have a good detailer in your area that does paint corrections, odds are, they have a tool called a "paint thickness gauge" PTG for short. If you can find someone that has this, they can easily tell if some panels were repainted.

On average, OEM paintjobs on regular production cars (excluding exotics) read between 4-7mils, with 7 being on the really THICK side. If it's a repaint, odds are that panel will read a much higher number like 11-12 or something completely abnormal like 15-30 if filler was used. Likewise, if the panel was completely replaced, it often ends up reading a lower number than factory paint from what I have seen.

You can buy a cheap, good PTG for about 200-300 dollars but it will only read metal surfaces so it would be useless for measusing those lower plastic panels on the LS. A PTG that reads plastic and metal and has the ability to break down the paint layers into separate readings can costs several thousand dollars.

Good call, I saw one one Craigslist for a buck and wondered why I'd want one.....now I have a reason!
Old 08-29-14, 06:59 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Originally Posted by gooshster
look at the carfax for the one in va, its been in an accident and the door was repainted.

Thanks Gooshter - I did see that a few months ago and that's why I've ignored this car (also, it's the most obvious case I've seen since I started searching), but one of the other two are "clean" (obviously not everything is reported).

I was really thinking that it was a camera angle/filter issue, but after all the feedback, I'm ready to accept these are probably resprays, new panels, etc. Sucks, but good to know...

Chock another one up to Club Lex.

Thanks everyone
Old 08-29-14, 07:13 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Two other ways this happens...

Many times the dealer selling the used car will do a quick and dirty paint job on the front part of the car to get rid of rock chips on the hood and bumper, etc.

Secondarily, it could be from accident damage, but fixed by replacing the entire door from another car painted the same color (from a salvage yard) which has weathered differently (parked inside vs out, etc). My wife's track car got hit in the rear door and we did exactly that. Same color OEM paint but same sort of color mismatch.

Might check if there is a VIN tag on that door to see if it matches the rest of the car.
Thanks Dave - I think I agree completely with that logic. I also once had a silver car and "tried" to patch and paint. Impossible to match was my experience, haha,
Old 08-29-14, 08:14 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its the same phenomenon as this year camry with this color. Every single one has the faded bumper. Manufacturer prob
Old 08-29-14, 06:50 PM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
Its most likely due to a repaint. Silver is a tough color to match and that is why good body shops blend the color in over a wide area with the edges feathered into the old paint. Then all the panels that were painted with the color are clear coated.

The situation you see is the door was the only panel painted. While you see this all the time, its not the correct way to repaint corrected panels. Sorry, but someone took a short cut and saved $$$...
I agree with this.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-03-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 07:14 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Talked to a passer-by (well, at a gas station) that had a Merc Metallic yesterday and he said he notices his "looks" like it does not match at some angles in the bright sun. He is the original owner and has had no work done. When I looked at his car, I swear I saw the slightest mismatch, but It could be me looking too hard.

Definitely appreciate everyone's reply on their take.

Thanks again

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-03-14 at 09:23 AM. Reason: let's leave out personal commentary please
Old 09-01-14, 07:53 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i also disagree with ma61, there ARE factory paint defects on certain cars that only show up years later.
Old 09-03-14, 09:16 AM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine looks exactly like that. The rear door on the passenger side does not match the rest of the car
Old 09-03-14, 10:28 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Originally Posted by chris81964
Mine looks exactly like that. The rear door on the passenger side does not match the rest of the car

Thank you Chris - and you can assume no body work, etc (to the best of your knowledge?)

What year is your ride?

**Nurr-mind: I see its a 2005
Old 09-03-14, 12:45 PM
BMWboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad painted cars years ago and this is what I was told. I had an '05 IS300 a few years ago and it was Millennium Silver Metallic with similar issues. "Any metallic paint job that was not completely painted on the same day, at the same temp and dust booth conditions, will have variations because the metal in the paint reacts to the temp and environmental changes surrounding it." We already know your bumpers will always be slightly different colors than the metal body parts of your car because the paint has to have additives to make it adhere differently to the polyurethane/fiberglass that they're made from. Just what I was told by a 20+year professional.
Old 09-03-14, 04:47 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

This mean that factory painted cars should not have any color variation. I am assuming that the Lexus factory is smart enough to maintain proper paint conditions and don't stop the line half way through painting a car. Consequently, I don't believe there is a factoy paint phenomenon.
Old 09-04-14, 01:35 PM
BMWboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
This mean that factory painted cars should not have any color variation. I am assuming that the Lexus factory is smart enough to maintain proper paint conditions and don't stop the line half way through painting a car. Consequently, I don't believe there is a factoy paint phenomenon.
To be clear, you do realize these cars are not painted in one piece. The bumpers/moldings are still pigmented elsewhere and then attached to the cars. The colors will be close but there's no way it will be a perfect match.
Old 09-04-14, 08:40 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Well excuse me for actually thinking that my bumpers really match the rest of the car!
Old 09-05-14, 06:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Well excuse me for actually thinking that my bumpers really match the rest of the car!
Considering yours is silver Jay, do you notice this at all on your car?
Old 09-05-14, 09:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Considering yours is silver Jay, do you notice this at all on your car?
Not at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can anyone explain the Mercury Metallic color phenomenon?