LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need advice on Y-pipe replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 01:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need advice on Y-pipe replacement.

About to bite the bullet and replace my beat up y-pipe that's been giving me some emissions related issues for some time now. I wanted to check in with the CL fam to see whos had success and where did you get quality parts outside of the dealer. I ran across these pipes(link below) on eBay and wanted to know what you guys thought about them. Also if anyone knows of better, similarly priced parts available?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-Lexus-LS430-4-3L-Front-Y-Pipe-with-Catalytic-OBDII-/281370791321?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4183018d99&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-06-LS430-Rear-Y-Pipe-With-Main-Catalytic-Converter-Davico-18390-W-Gasket-/190987141281?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005%7CModel%3ALS430&hash=item2c77b880a1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 08-13-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 01:56 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also interested in this as I plan on doing exhaust soon. Keep us posted. I am going to try to get a y pipe done in stainless along with ppe headers and magnaflow cats
Old 08-13-14, 08:30 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one of those ebay/exhaust distribution pipes and it's fine, but the gaskets that come with it are junk, you need to get the factory gaskets.
Old 08-13-14, 10:05 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I have one of those ebay/exhaust distribution pipes and it's fine, but the gaskets that come with it are junk, you need to get the factory gaskets.
Which one of those did you actually get if you dont mind? Other than gaskets, any other drawbacks you notice?
Old 08-14-14, 02:07 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

here's mine:

http://www.exhaustdistribution.net/s...30-4.3L/Detail

No other drawbacks really. When you install it you'll need bolt up the front end to the headers first, then have a buddy push the entire resonator assembly towards the front as you tighten the clamp on the front end of the resonator. If you don't you'll possibly end up with a leak at the tail end of the y-pipe where it goes into the resonator.
Old 08-14-14, 02:53 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
here's mine:

http://www.exhaustdistribution.net/s...30-4.3L/Detail

No other drawbacks really. When you install it you'll need bolt up the front end to the headers first, then have a buddy push the entire resonator assembly towards the front as you tighten the clamp on the front end of the resonator. If you don't you'll possibly end up with a leak at the tail end of the y-pipe where it goes into the resonator.
Thanks! Although it says 01-03, i do wonder will it fit my 05?
Old 08-14-14, 04:44 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Definitely go aftermarket, the dealer prices on something like that are absurd.

At Rock Auto, you can get this Davico Y-Pipe for $180, it says it's for a 2005. It's cheaper than the one listed on Ebay

You just don't buy catalytic converters or exhaust parts at a dealership, worse case if you can't find something that fits in the aftermarket, a quality exhaust shop can easily fabricate something that will work.

OEM catalytic converters just have all sorts of federal regulations and warranties that make them pricey, you're just looking for an option that keeps your car emissions compliant.

I've never had an issue with an aftermarket catalytic converter.
Old 08-15-14, 12:36 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
Definitely go aftermarket, the dealer prices on something like that are absurd.

At Rock Auto, you can get this Davico Y-Pipe for $180, it says it's for a 2005. It's cheaper than the one listed on Ebay

You just don't buy catalytic converters or exhaust parts at a dealership, worse case if you can't find something that fits in the aftermarket, a quality exhaust shop can easily fabricate something that will work.

OEM catalytic converters just have all sorts of federal regulations and warranties that make them pricey, you're just looking for an option that keeps your car emissions compliant.

I've never had an issue with an aftermarket catalytic converter.
That an hell of an deal!! Thanks for that info.
Old 08-15-14, 07:05 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer even told me to go aftermarket on the cats.
Old 08-22-14, 05:25 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Just ordered the Davico y-pipe from Rock auto. Thanks BradTank!! Should be here by next week Tues. Will give you guys an update on how it goes. The only problem i have is the rusted pipes and not the converter and the only way to really ensure proper, air tight operation is getting a new pipe with converter attached. I'm pretty sure the converter is not faulty and it pains me to buy a new whole new one just to have leak-free pipes but whats to be done with the extra used converter once removed from my car? Can it be sold?
Old 08-23-14, 11:28 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Just ordered the Davico y-pipe from Rock auto. Thanks BradTank!! Should be here by next week Tues. Will give you guys an update on how it goes. The only problem i have is the rusted pipes and not the converter and the only way to really ensure proper, air tight operation is getting a new pipe with converter attached. I'm pretty sure the converter is not faulty and it pains me to buy a new whole new one just to have leak-free pipes but whats to be done with the extra used converter once removed from my car? Can it be sold?
Hope it works out, are you installing it or is a shop? I'm a DIY'er, but I would farm it out to an exhaust shop, I don't own an acetylene torch and sometimes those bolts can really be seized on there.

You can definitely get money for used catalytic converters, you can call some scrap yards or car salvage yards. There's a really large range as to what it's worth, it could be as little as $30 or over $100. Even when they go bad, they have precious metals like platinum and palladium that can be reused, the OEM factory converters tend to be worth more.

It may even be worthwhile to throw it up on Ebay.
Old 08-26-14, 12:15 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
Hope it works out, are you installing it or is a shop? I'm a DIY'er, but I would farm it out to an exhaust shop, I don't own an acetylene torch and sometimes those bolts can really be seized on there.

You can definitely get money for used catalytic converters, you can call some scrap yards or car salvage yards. There's a really large range as to what it's worth, it could be as little as $30 or over $100. Even when they go bad, they have precious metals like platinum and palladium that can be reused, the OEM factory converters tend to be worth more.

It may even be worthwhile to throw it up on Ebay.
I will be taking it to my mech. I dont have torches either or a lift and extra parts and tools maybe need if fitment is a problem also i'll feel better knowing someone even more capable than me is fixing it. . I'll try to give ebay a shot. I'm really in the market to make much profit but just wanna see what i can get.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 10-09-15 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 11:34 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so got the pipe installed today but all didnt work out as planned. The new part is ok for the most part but the end that fits at the resonator end is not a direct fit. Mech did some welding but may have to come up with another solution as does have some leakage there. The ends towards the front cats fit fine although the gaskets are larger than OEM. They seem to work ok tho. On another note, came to find out i have an leak at or near the drivers side manifold. Everything else is fine but I just cant win with the exhaust on this car. . Now i may have to research that part if it is cracked. smh
Old 04-21-15, 05:52 PM
rodmc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question as well

Hey guys, I am going through the same issue with my 2001 have looked at after market units from Davico to Benchmark to Magnaflow - is there one that may match up better when installed - granted using the Lexus gaskets? I have a shop that will install whatever I provide them. Or am I better off having the local Midas build it in his shop? Feed back is appreciated!
Old 04-22-15, 12:48 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rodmc09
Hey guys, I am going through the same issue with my 2001 have looked at after market units from Davico to Benchmark to Magnaflow - is there one that may match up better when installed - granted using the Lexus gaskets? I have a shop that will install whatever I provide them. Or am I better off having the local Midas build it in his shop? Feed back is appreciated!
The Davico pipe seems to be working well. No leakage issues so far.They did come with new gaskets if needed. If the price is right and if you feel the work is solid, then go with Midas as they are local and the work warranted. Good luck and give us feedback.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Y-pipe replacement.