LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My new-to-me '05 Sport. A love affair begins...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 06:47 PM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
.... and will make you want to spend MORE time with her, especially inside of her. .
Naughty naughty, LOL
Old 08-31-16, 12:17 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Sports suspension tire noise

So everyone loves the sports suspension. Agree an LS430 handles a LOT better. Yes, def feel the bumps but that's ok. The real downside is noise. I'm considering an 04 ML w/ SS. On smooth road, it's quiet and slightly firmer. However on concrete or any rough surface, tire noise is really nasty. About the same as my Honda Pilot which has full mud and snows. Have an 01 with 17's and regular suspension. Am used to the 99% quiet ride. I've read several comments that say the 18" wheels are a factor. Would downsizing to 17's help? Has pretty worn Michelin Primacy's. Maybe different tire? Have the 17" Michelin Pilot A/S on the '01 and they're great. Suggests appreciated! Nice car but the noise just too much.
Old 08-31-16, 03:39 PM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! I just got mine a couple of months ago, and I'm right there with you on how amazing it is to drive. I probably would have held out for that white color combo but I found that very low mileage and the Ultra Luxury package weren't negotiable, while the color was. Great looking car, congrats!
Old 08-31-16, 03:52 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

nice car!
the Ls430 is limited to 135... tried it got there but it didn't want to budge past it. still felt like I was in complete control and was still hovering over the pavement like butter on hot glass even at that speed, and felt like it still had a little more room to go.

the only LS that can really do 160 is the 400, its electronically limited to 155 but I think over the decades of age the limiter isn't quite doing its job. ive had the needle in my 95 absolutely buried, and just to see if it was really doing what it said I had GPS speed blinking between 159 and 160. but driving a 20+ year old car approaching 200 mph is a frightening event to say the least.

the 430 still rockets up to speed quickly and still pulls HARD on the highway at 90 mph, and the sport suspension is a really nice touch. its just what the doctor ordered for a full size heavy car to be thrown around like a rag doll and loving every minute of it!
Old 08-31-16, 04:10 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club. Fine looking specimen and I would have jumped on that clean example.
Just enjoy the ride and be happy with your choice and let the miles roll up.
Old 09-02-16, 06:48 PM
wander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the newb question but how do you determine if your LS has the sport suspension ? I just picked up an 05 as well , I am also very impressed . Sure, there are a few details that need attention but those are few and after all it is an 11 year old car. One aspect that I've enjoyed is that it is so smooth and so quiet , I swear my stress level has dropped from my daily Atlanta traffic interactions.
Old 09-03-16, 01:08 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wander
Sorry for the newb question but how do you determine if your LS has the sport suspension ? I just picked up an 05 as well , I am also very impressed . Sure, there are a few details that need attention but those are few and after all it is an 11 year old car. One aspect that I've enjoyed is that it is so smooth and so quiet , I swear my stress level has dropped from my daily Atlanta traffic interactions.
18" wheels
Old 09-03-16, 01:30 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Sport Suspension is quite rare in my opinion. hard to tell from outside, but the 18 inch wheels are a requirement. also has badges on the quarter panels, but I have heard of them falling off and I have seen the badges for sale on ebay so...
the sway bar will be a 1/4 inch bigger but that will not be easy to see. most reviews from the time preferred the sport suspension but not very many people got it. different shocks also I believe. I would like to experience it, but do not think I will ever come across a good working example of one as by now the shocks or sway bar bushings could have been replaced by Gomer Pyle or his less qualified brother Goober.
Old 09-03-16, 05:02 PM
wander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 18"'s and pronounced ( for a Lexus) road feel so now I'm inspired to to do some looking back around underneath!
Old 09-04-16, 08:41 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
18" wheels
The '04 - '06 do have 18's but my '02 has 17's. I take my '05 when I go to an Autocross with the lower profile tires.
Old 09-04-16, 06:55 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I wish sway bars where a 1/4 inch bigger think its a mil or 2. All 05's are 18 inch wheels I have seen. On the 04 thay came with 18's did the Ultra's come with 18's dont think so
Old 09-07-16, 07:18 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I wish sway bars where a 1/4 inch bigger think its a mil or 2. All 05's are 18 inch wheels I have seen. On the 04 thay came with 18's did the Ultra's come with 18's dont think so
You're correct, rear sway bars are not 1/4" larger, they are 1 mm larger diameter.
Old 09-07-16, 08:58 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
You're correct, rear sway bars are not 1/4" larger, they are 1 mm larger diameter.
I think I have the sports suspension but I need to measure the sway bar.
Old 09-11-16, 03:51 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Just picked up an 04 w/ Sports Suspension. The SS wasn't on my list of "must haves" but the car was too good to pass up. If it's an 04-06 SS, it's got 18's and small SS badges on the front fenders. Difference is firmer shocks and struts, plastic (not rubber bushings) and a thicker rear sway bar. The package is a great addition! I also have an '01. Not much difference in freeway noise but the '04 feels a lot sharper in corners. There'a lot less body roll on freeway ramps. The car feels much more precise at higher freeway speeds (75+). Running 17's now (w/ new Michelin Premiers) until I can figure out the best tires to use for the 18's. Any suggests? Goal is quiet on freeway but a little stiffer for handling. Also if the speedo is calibrated for 18's, is there any way to adjust for 17's?
Old 09-11-16, 07:12 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Pretty sure by going to the 18's with the lower profile the the speedo will be the same. I dought too many of the Sports both right and left badges will fall off. If both did, dought it, there would be some glue or something to notice I bet. I myself have driven 04 sport with 18's and 04 premium with 17's I would not call the difference dramatic some might not even notice it, IMO. V rated P7 A/s I have now on the sport, I think it is a reall good handling all season tire. In california you could run a summer tire with a sport and the handling will be pretty darn good. As others have said it is still an LS not a 7 series BMW or Audi A8 but I bet neither of those 2 have owners who rave about reliability. Enjoy either one tires make all the difference if ya want flatter handling.

Quick Reply: My new-to-me '05 Sport. A love affair begins...