LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Alternator replacement 2005 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 01:17 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I noticed on the Amazon link it did mention this under description......"This product is in a Denso package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent Denso supplier". Could this mean that this alternator might not be remanufactered by Denso but by another outside source?
Old 11-06-15, 01:48 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Translation: The internal replacement parts are genuine Denso; the labor to re-manufacture the alternator may be performed by an independent shop. The attached pic of a # 210-0508 alternator purchased from Amazon shows the same Denso reman. sticker as my replacement 0508 authentic Denso reman. alternator purchased from a foreign auto parts store. This is as close to original Denso as you're going to get with a re-manufactured alternator unless you buy new. (Note: there is a difference between "re-manufactured" and "re-built.")
Attached Thumbnails Alternator replacement 2005 LS 430-denso-alternator-210-0508.jpg  

Last edited by Tom57; 11-06-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 05:53 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Daniel Stern, the lighting guru, wrote an interesting 2009 essay on reman alternators:
http://ednixon.com/pix/Alternators.html

"..............I've seen what goes into the "remanufactured" parts, and it's pure junk, through and through. Low-bid, low-spec Chinese consumables that don't even come close to meeting the OEM spec. And yes, that's even on the "lifetime" units........................Many or most of them have been through the quick 'n' abusive, low-price-at-all-costs "remanufacturing" process several times. Critical casting dimensions have been blasted into oblivion...multiple times. Low-quality parts have replaced low-quality parts...multiple times. Stators and rotors have been mismatched...multiple times. .........................The latest gimmick is the "100% new" scam. Yeah, you can walk into a parts store and buy a "100% new!" alternator or starter or whatever for your 20-year-old car. Sure...but they're brand-new, very low quality Chinese copycats. ...................Alternator problems like low output at idle, flickery or spiky output, etc. are often greaty aggravated by the installation of a "remanufactured" alternator. These contain mismatched components from multiple different original alternators, which are physically interchangeable but electrically don't work properly together. There are many problems that can affect any alternator and reduce its output, make it flickery, etc..........................."Lifetime warranty" means you get to spend your lifetime replacing failed parts under warranty. Sure, they'll usually give you another alternator (starter, carburetor, brake cylinder, distributor, whatever) but the overall effect is to make the car unreliable, which means the lifetime warranty is nothing but a sales tool....."
Old 03-23-16, 05:15 AM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna say thank you for this thread, i followed this guide to purchase my denso replacement and the steps of removing and replacing my old alternator. you guys are awesome
Old 03-23-16, 04:38 PM
mrboca
Rookie

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Daniel Stern, the lighting guru, wrote an interesting 2009 essay on reman alternators:
http://ednixon.com/pix/Alternators.html

"..............I've seen what goes into the "remanufactured" parts, and it's pure junk, through and through. Low-bid, low-spec Chinese consumables that don't even come close to meeting the OEM spec. And yes, that's even on the "lifetime" units........................Many or most of them have been through the quick 'n' abusive, low-price-at-all-costs "remanufacturing" process several times. Critical casting dimensions have been blasted into oblivion...multiple times. Low-quality parts have replaced low-quality parts...multiple times. Stators and rotors have been mismatched...multiple times. .........................The latest gimmick is the "100% new" scam. Yeah, you can walk into a parts store and buy a "100% new!" alternator or starter or whatever for your 20-year-old car. Sure...but they're brand-new, very low quality Chinese copycats. ...................Alternator problems like low output at idle, flickery or spiky output, etc. are often greaty aggravated by the installation of a "remanufactured" alternator. These contain mismatched components from multiple different original alternators, which are physically interchangeable but electrically don't work properly together. There are many problems that can affect any alternator and reduce its output, make it flickery, etc..........................."Lifetime warranty" means you get to spend your lifetime replacing failed parts under warranty. Sure, they'll usually give you another alternator (starter, carburetor, brake cylinder, distributor, whatever) but the overall effect is to make the car unreliable, which means the lifetime warranty is nothing but a sales tool....."
Hmm, not to be cynical, however I've read this individual's article about cheap Chinese parts. He recommended WAI/Transpo. And in the hopes that I would find an American manufacturing company, I investigated this Ft-Lauderdale headquartered company, (an office in an office building). Apparently, they manufacture the voltage regulator parts along with everything else in Shanghai China, not Shanghai PA .
Old 06-07-16, 04:41 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, how can you tell if your '04 has a 3 pin or 4 pin connector on it? The alternator isn't very visible from the top. I just hate the thought of jacking up the car and pulling the belly pan just to check the connector before ordering a replacement unit.
My LS is showing 13.5 volts at idle with lights and A/C on which is OK in a miserable way and shows an aging unit. The car generally works but I've had the battery drop and needing recharging occasionally. I'm guessing I'm on the edge.
I just hate to order a new unit that might fit -or might not. Can we tell from VIN or date of manufacture?
Old 06-07-16, 07:01 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

From LS430 repair manuals...

Note that some early 2004 LS430 were equipped with the 3-pin 90980-11349 connector. I understand that the Lexus dealer can look up this information based on your VIN.

Last edited by rkw77080; 06-07-16 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 07:17 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fensterlip
OK, how can you tell if your '04 has a 3 pin or 4 pin connector on it? The alternator isn't very visible from the top. I just hate the thought of jacking up the car and pulling the belly pan just to check the connector before ordering a replacement unit.
My LS is showing 13.5 volts at idle with lights and A/C on which is OK in a miserable way and shows an aging unit. The car generally works but I've had the battery drop and needing recharging occasionally. I'm guessing I'm on the edge.
I just hate to order a new unit that might fit -or might not. Can we tell from VIN or date of manufacture?
2004 manufactured before 7/2003 uses 3 pin alternator. 2004 manufactured after 7/2003 uses 4 pin alternator. Refer to my post #60 above for part #s.
Old 06-08-16, 04:55 AM
lumpy85
Driver School Candidate

Bought an Oreilly rebuilt alternator, keeping my factory one to have an auto electrical shop rebuild, 120 bucks,

Works great, alternator didn't die slowly, it just stopped. Lexus wanted 495 for a rebuilt one
Old 06-08-16, 07:15 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

6 Speed transmission = 4 pin

Originally Posted by rkw77080
From LS430 repair manuals...

Note that some early 2004 LS430 were equipped with the 3-pin 90980-11349 connector. I understand that the Lexus dealer can look up this information based on your VIN.
Old 06-19-16, 05:18 PM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread, thanks guys! I bought one from RockAuto and replaced it today. My alternator died a few weeks after buying a new battery. Coincidence or is there a correlation?
Old 10-30-16, 06:05 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Battery R&R Because It's Easier

Originally Posted by fensterlip
Well, since the battery was at least 4 years old - it's been in the car since we got it in the Spring of '13 and it didn't look like a spring chicken then - I decided to replace it. Well, the battery was consistently reading 12.3 volts at rest and to me that's a battery with less than 1/2 charge. The "maintenance" display was reading 13.5 volts with the car running which clearly shows an alternator working but poorly. After replacing the battery it seems to consistently read 13.9 volts at idle and 13.8 volts with the A/C and headlights on. It sounds like, for the moment at least, replacing the battery has brought everything up to snuff. If it starts to sag again then the alternator is my next stop. Increasing the RPM to 1800 - 2000 doesn't seem to appreciably change the voltage which from my memory is what an alternator should be doing. I'm old enough to remember the old generator days....
Old 09-18-19, 10:48 AM
dangafl
Driver School Candidate

What a great guy to post something so incredibly helpful. I swapped out my original alternator in about 3 hours. I had to use a floor jack and jack stands but all in all it was a simple job. Many thanks to you for your detailed help. Saved me a bunch of money.
Old 12-30-21, 07:50 PM
Racerbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help

I replaced the alternator on my 06 Lexus ls430 and pulled the 3 wires out of the pigtail plug and can’t figure out what spot the wires go in and it has 1 2 4 and the color of the wires are red. Blue/red. Pink/blue