LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?

Old 02-05-09, 02:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?

For everyone who had an air strut failed in their UL, is the passenger side rear strut go bad 1st?

Mine is, along with another person I know with his UL.

That is the corner that sit lower from the factory on most UL.

I wonder if the factory setting that makes the car sit lower on that corner make that strut wears out faster.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-05-09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 02:39 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My passenger side rear is the wheel that is sagging

Inconsistent, but it has been a problem for a good while. When it sags, it is very noticeable.

My UL only has 53,000 miles, and being a Lexus, I find this totally unacceptable.
Old 02-05-09, 02:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

mafpolo, like I said before, most UL sags in that corner from the factory.

Do a search on "air suspension" in the LS430 section, you can see that is the most common complain.

I just wonder the way the car sit makes that strut wears out faster.

And if my theory is true, now that all of my height sensors are adjusted to make the car sit all even, that would decrease the stress on that particular strut.
Old 02-05-09, 03:05 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SORRY to say thank GOD i dont have air bags but i do have a navi and most of the things a LS 430UL has, in my 2001 LS 430 so im good ..but on the other hand i had a 1998 MPV use to kill me with airbag problems one day/up one day down and the front always sat 3 feet in the air while the back was 2 inches to the ground and they wanted 600 dallors each airbag and i couldn't find it anywhere aftermarket hated the car i gave it away! now i hate anything with airbags (i look away) ....SORRY "i was told that aftermarket airbags rides like **** compared to lowering spring on wheels"

Last edited by Swagga82; 02-05-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 03:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Swagga82,

For the record, I don't have any problem with the air bag itself, it still function perfectly.

The issue that developed on my car was a worn out shock absorber that don't dampen anymore.

I still believe the Lexus air suspension has excellent performance. I don't have any complain about it. I am asking question simply because it is an expensive component and I want to know everything there is to know about them.

If I can do it over again, I would still buy an UL with the air suspension. The rear seat package is too cool to not have.
Old 02-05-09, 04:21 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

BNR34, thats why i said aftermarket never said nothing about stock and plus i still wont do airbags dont get it twisted i do love the LS 430UL.... thats like me not liking my brother that would be wrong!!!..."but to each its own"
Old 02-05-09, 04:24 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default BNR34...should it be lower by an inch at times?

It's all over the board...sometimes up to an inch which makes the car look like it has a low tire.

Sometimes, it sits square....all wheels pretty much level (fronts equal to each other, and rears equal to each other).

Confusing
Old 02-05-09, 04:26 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default p.s. I would never have another ultra

Too much stuff to go wrong. The toys are fun, but - how often do I ride in the back seat, how often do I change suspension settings, and how often do I use the nav, which I don't really trust anyway.

I should have bought a plain jane - no nav, no ultra. Well, I really should have bought a modern luxury.

May get rid of my UL anyway. Got a decent offer today.
Old 02-05-09, 08:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swagga82
BNR34, thats why i said aftermarket never said nothing about stock and plus i still wont do airbags dont get it twisted i do love the LS 430UL.... thats like me not liking my brother that would be wrong!!!..."but to each its own"
I don't think we understand each other here.
Old 02-05-09, 08:18 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

My front driver's side bag leaked first and it was replaced at Lexus dealer with CPO warranty.
Old 02-05-09, 11:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JP2SEA
My front driver's side bag leaked first and it was replaced at Lexus dealer with CPO warranty.
Thank you for your input

I am trying to do a simple survey
Old 02-05-09, 11:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mafpolo
It's all over the board...sometimes up to an inch which makes the car look like it has a low tire.

Sometimes, it sits square....all wheels pretty much level (fronts equal to each other, and rears equal to each other).

Confusing
It is confusing to you because you don't understand how it works and don't want to listen to other people's truthful opinion.
Old 02-05-09, 11:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Too much stuff to go wrong. The toys are fun, but - how often do I ride in the back seat, how often do I change suspension settings, and how often do I use the nav, which I don't really trust anyway.
This is why Lexus make different versions of the car with different option packages. Everyone have different needs and wants.

You answered your own question, the ultra is not for you.

I should have bought a plain jane - no nav, no ultra. Well, I really should have bought a modern luxury.
Modern Luxury comes with Nav. You want the base, bare bone car. There is nothing wrong with that. That is my parent's preference too, both their Lexus have zero gadgets, they want simple hassle free operation.

May get rid of my UL anyway. Got a decent offer today.
Honestly with no disrespect, I do believe your UL is working properly, it does act funny at times, and sounds like it is driving you crazy, you already got a bad taste in you mouth, I don't think you will ever be totally happy with it, it is only going to get worse as it gets older. If you got a decent offer that you are happy with, selling it might not be a bad idea for you. All new and used luxury cars are dirt cheap out there right now, my friend just got a brand new M3 for $8k under MSRP last week. I am sure you can get into something else easily for a great deal that you might be more happy with.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-06-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 11:45 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Hey BNR34. Not sure if I told you what my milage was when mine failed (I assume the reference you made, about someone you know who also had a failure at that corner, was me ), but my right rear failed at approx 35K miles.

Fortunately for me, still under warranty.

Hopefully you get the data you want from folks.
Old 02-05-09, 11:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jman-LS430
Hey BNR34. Not sure if I told you what my milage was when mine failed (I assume the reference you made, about someone you know who also had a failure at that corner, was me ), but my right rear failed at approx 35K miles.
That was you. Thank you for the mileage info

Fortunately for me, still under warranty.
I got Lexus to agreed to pay for 50% of my bill, so it is not THAT bad. But 50% is still ~$800

Hopefully you get the data you want from folks.
Thanks. I am hoping if my theory is right, then after I get this new strut, with my car now sitting level, the new strut won't get the same accelerated wear like the last strut, so it will last longer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To all who had failed air strut in their UL, is the pass side rear the 1st to go bad?