LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Aux input in LS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 05:10 AM
greg s
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aux input in LS430

It has come time to get some sort of aux input in my car. It seems the two most popular choices are Grom or Vais.

I like the sound of the Grom for android plus bluetooth but seems they are kinda buggy?

What do you have and what's your experience with it?
Old 06-23-14, 07:37 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Vais MML has clear digital sound. USB connection for use with any type phone or device. Very reliable. Vais is a CL sponsor too. Eugene at Vais provides great tech support if you need. Vais occasionally offers discount to CL members. If you need bluetooth, ask Vais/Eugene if you can interface a bluetooth device to the USB port. I just leave an iPod connected to the USB port in the arm rest glove box.
The following users liked this post:
Z7USUDRV (04-21-23)
Old 06-23-14, 07:38 AM
greg s
Driver

does all the text info show up properly?
Old 06-23-14, 08:39 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Yes, if you have Nav. I don't know what text appears in non-Nav LS. http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php
The following users liked this post:
Z7USUDRV (04-21-23)
Old 06-23-14, 08:42 AM
greg s
Driver

Anyone have input on the Grom units?
Old 06-23-14, 09:17 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg s
Anyone have input on the Grom units?
I have the GROM unit. It's fried two of my USB drives and they have no idea why. I find it a hassle to keep taking it out and sending it to them for testing.

The aux cable works great, though.
Old 06-23-14, 11:41 AM
greg s
Driver

I ended up ordering the grom for android plus the Bluetooth add on.
Old 06-23-14, 06:50 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may be worth your while to review the very extensive thread(s) on the LS400 forum on this topic, especially the posts by Kansas.
Old 07-01-14, 05:27 AM
greg s
Driver

Update:
Got the Grom android usb with bluetooth installed and I'm not too happy. The USB part is very clunky and having to use the aalinq app is awful. The bluetooth part however works pretty well, sound quality is good but artist names and track titles don't show as advertised. Grom says they are working on a firmware update to fix.

Long story short, I ordered the bluetooth vaistech unit. Grom will be going back.

Side note - removing the heated seat trim is a pain, i pried too hard and chipped the clear finish on the trim.
Old 07-01-14, 07:18 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you manage to install the grom unit? I tried and both harnesses (small and big) did not fit the back of the cd changer. Had to send harness and bluetooth dongle back for a refund.
Emailed tech support, was told grom is not compatible with US ML cars.
Here on forum I was told LEX harness will fit, forwarded this message to grom. They said it will physically fit in the cd changer but will not work.
Am I missing something here?
Old 07-01-14, 07:21 AM
greg s
Driver

Maybe the 04-06 have a different actual head unit? I believe it was the TOY connector and not the LEX. All i know though is that the small connector plugged into the back of the unit and the cd plugged into the grom cable.
Old 07-01-14, 11:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg s
Update:
Got the Grom android usb with bluetooth installed and I'm not too happy. The USB part is very clunky and having to use the aalinq app is awful. The bluetooth part however works pretty well, sound quality is good but artist names and track titles don't show as advertised. Grom says they are working on a firmware update to fix.

Long story short, I ordered the bluetooth vaistech unit. Grom will be going back.

Side note - removing the heated seat trim is a pain, i pried too hard and chipped the clear finish on the trim.
I'm not surprised ... wish you heeded advice above. The VaisTech is a superior product. You will be happy once you install. Be sure to tape screwdriver or use plastic wedge tool to remove any dash parts. Tha VaisTech unit will fit perfectly under the cross bar just below the radio.
Old 07-01-14, 12:10 PM
greg s
Driver

It was the pressure not the sharp edges that chipped the finish. Luckily it butts up to another trim piece and you have to know its there to spot it.

I wanted true android compatibility which grom seemed to offer.
Old 07-01-14, 02:10 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the audiovox Mediabridge. Seems to compete well with the Grom unit as it does bluetooth, USB, Aux. Unfortunately, it looks as though the wiring harness won't fit my 01 with ML. Such a bummer. Sounds like Grom won't fit either. Now looking for something other than the MML as I don't want to pay $250 for what the others do (and then some) for $130.

Any ideas on what other products I should be looking at?
Old 07-01-14, 02:21 PM
greg s
Driver

After my experience with the grom unit I have decided to go bluetooth only with the Vaistech unit. The bluetooth sound quality is 85-90% of cd quality which is good enough to have the convenience of no wires and ability to listen to anything through from my phone.

Quick Reply: Aux input in LS430