LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

During Motor Mount Installation, Discovered Leaking Control Arm Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 11:23 AM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default During Motor Mount Installation, Discovered Leaking Control Arm Bushing

So during my Motor Mount Installation, I discovered fluid leaking from the Driver Side, Lower Control Arm Bushing #2.

After searching on Sewell, I discovered the bushing is sold by itself, w/out the bracket that holds it.

Question:

Is a press require for removal and re-installation of the bushing, any particulars about re-installation, and will it require alignment afterwards.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails During Motor Mount Installation, Discovered Leaking Control Arm Bushing-dsc_0194.jpg   During Motor Mount Installation, Discovered Leaking Control Arm Bushing-481190.jpg  
Old 06-08-14, 01:23 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't know those bushings had fluid in them. Maybe there's some fluid being leaked onto the bushing that's giving the impression that's its leaking?
Old 06-08-14, 02:01 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ikhanbbb
So during my Motor Mount Installation, I discovered fluid leaking from the Driver Side, Lower Control Arm Bushing #2.

After searching on Sewell, I discovered the bushing is sold by itself, w/out the bracket that holds it.

Question:

Is a press require for removal and re-installation of the bushing, any particulars about re-installation, and will it require alignment afterwards.

Thanks
yes, yes, yes. you'll have to cut out the metal housing around the pressed out bushing since it usually gets stuck. press out old, cut out old metal ring, press in new. bolt back onto car. alignment is needed.

these are oil-filled bushings. wear out around 80-100k due to rubber wearing down with age and use.

i just had mine done less than 5k ago.
Old 06-08-14, 04:27 PM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I didn't know those bushings had fluid in them. Maybe there's some fluid being leaked onto the bushing that's giving the impression that's its leaking?
At first that was my thought, but ill take a this leaking bushing over anything else..lol

Originally Posted by writes123
yes, yes, yes. you'll have to cut out the metal housing around the pressed out bushing since it usually gets stuck. press out old, cut out old metal ring, press in new. bolt back onto car. alignment is needed.

these are oil-filled bushings. wear out around 80-100k due to rubber wearing down with age and use.

i just had mine done less than 5k ago.
Okay, i see what you're saying regarding the metal ring. Perhaps soaking the bushing in PB Blaster prior to pressing may allow it come out as a whole.

What were your symptoms if any? Did you notice a change in ride after doing this? Did you do the replacement or paid someone? If so what were the labor cost?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-14, 04:49 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i had my front air struts replaced at the same time. my steering wheel and car who rattle and shake/vibrate over any rough road surfaces. unbearable.

i had an independent lexus mechanic near me do the work. i'm not too comfortable doing that type of work myself. it was pretty straightforward. my mechanic charged 60-70 per LCA bushing for labor. i brought my own OEM bushings. I believe that the price was fair and from what I read a little bit on the lower side. plus a 60 alignment from another shop.
Old 06-09-14, 10:02 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no cutting required to get these bushings out, just use the correct size cylinder when pressing them out of the bracket.
Old 06-10-14, 06:16 AM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Default ROCA LCA BUSHINGS QUALITY vs OEM

Having gone OEM with my motor mounts, as i saw no other suitable or worthy alternatives, i stumbled upon these last night in my search for bushings.

Having heard good things about Roca,

Do you think ill be safe with these?

I can get TWO bushings for the price of one OEM, and they recommend changing these in pairs.
Attached Thumbnails During Motor Mount Installation, Discovered Leaking Control Arm Bushing-rocals430.jpg  
Old 06-10-14, 07:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It's not worth it, imo. Not when OEM goes for 10 years and 120K miles if not more.
Old 06-12-14, 11:53 PM
maverick99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did u pay for that work?
Old 07-26-14, 04:07 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

No cutting, just press out and new ones press back in. This is a very easy DIY as long as you can bring the 48652 part to a shop who will press it out and in for you. I got my replacements from Sewell with the CL discount. Call around to mechanics or machine shops in your area.
Old 07-27-14, 08:11 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bushings

The bushing has a ridge on the rubber part that has to be oriented in a certain direction.

I don't have it with me, but the repair manual clearly shows this.

I believe the ridge is 90 degrees from the part that bolts to the car, but not sure.

Alan
Old 07-27-14, 09:30 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink I Have done this

I replaced the almost new Lower Control arm Bushings on my IS F. It was very easy providing you have the correct arbor. Took about an hour. You must use a press.

The bushings on the IS F are hard rubber, but because of the OEM specified tow in, cause undo wear on the inside edges of the front tires. Factory tires may wear out in less than 10,000 miles.

The fix is a very hard Thermo Plastic Resin like bushing (TPR) that once installed increases the life of the tires substantially. It also increases ride and handling. I noticed no ill effects.

If the OEM bushings are indeed oil filled, I would not use them. The aftermarket bushings pictured are probably more than adequate and better.

My question is: I used a 3 inch arbor (3 inch piece of steel tubing does the trick) to press the IS F bushings out, what size is needed for the LS 430? I would like to use my old IS F busing (I can get them for almost free) to replace the ones in the LS 430. Can someone measure the OD of the new bushings for the LS 430?

Old 07-28-14, 07:14 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The harder aftermarket bushings are not recommended for the LS430.. Yes the little square bump is supposed to go in perpendicular plus or minus 5 degrees.