LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS 430 Overheated - Perspective

Old 06-06-14, 09:19 PM
maverick99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the car without question. Fact is if you buy a used car you will probably end up needing to spend on repairs some money, and possibly tires - it's always something. Secondly, hard to find a used car with a clean title and no accidents.
Old 06-06-14, 10:49 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would repair it, keep it for myself, then buy a rust bucket 92 accord with no oil or coolant for her to drive.....lol jk I love my wife.
Old 06-07-14, 07:51 AM
AndreasMet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
That's a tough situation. I want to drive our current 400 as long as possible, at this stage cost relative to value is hard to overlook. Just about any small issue can "total" it. Inside and outside are in excellent condition so I share in having a car with known history. Will be looking forward to your motor swap.
In my prior car workings once I did a number of hours of work to get at a problem, I always replaced any parts that were still 'in working condition' with new parts. The theory being that I don't want to have to do the same work again all for some $20 part.

While the problem may 'only' be a blown head gasket, do I want to do the work of replacing the head gasket only to find that there is a deeper problem that still requires the motor to be pulled?

On the other hand I can pull the motor, rebuild the motor, and have a 'brand new motor' to drive the car another 200K miles (assume the rebuild is done well). Since I will be inspecting all parts attached to the motor I may end up 'fixing' some problems before they happen (e.g. timing belt) and saving some time for the future. And I will be familiar with how to do all the work in the future.

I'm good at justifying to talk myself into the motor pull option.

This will be my last post in this chain. The next post will be the start of the project. Need to get the car towed back home today and then begin.
Old 06-07-14, 12:50 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasMet
In my prior car workings once I did a number of hours of work to get at a problem, I always replaced any parts that were still 'in working condition' with new parts. The theory being that I don't want to have to do the same work again all for some $20 part.

While the problem may 'only' be a blown head gasket, do I want to do the work of replacing the head gasket only to find that there is a deeper problem that still requires the motor to be pulled?

On the other hand I can pull the motor, rebuild the motor, and have a 'brand new motor' to drive the car another 200K miles (assume the rebuild is done well). Since I will be inspecting all parts attached to the motor I may end up 'fixing' some problems before they happen (e.g. timing belt) and saving some time for the future. And I will be familiar with how to do all the work in the future.

I'm good at justifying to talk myself into the motor pull option.

This will be my last post in this chain. The next post will be the start of the project. Need to get the car towed back home today and then begin.
These engines just aren't cost effective to do a rebuild as preventative maintenance.

If you were talking about a 350 chevy on an older car, I would agree that as long as you're doing the headgaskets, it would probably make sense to just do a rebuild. But I just don't think that logic works in this case.

Getting the cylinder bored out at a machine shop; new pistons, piston rings, bearings, camshafts, lifters , gaskets, oil pump, crankshafts. All need to be replaced or reconditioned if you're truly talking about rebuilding the engine.

And I would trust a lower mileage "used" factory Lexus engine over something that came from a local rebuilder/machine shop.

But keep us posted, if you love the car and want the project, why not.
Old 06-10-14, 10:15 AM
AndreasMet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
These engines just aren't cost effective to do a rebuild as preventative maintenance.

If you were talking about a 350 chevy on an older car, I would agree that as long as you're doing the headgaskets, it would probably make sense to just do a rebuild. But I just don't think that logic works in this case.

Getting the cylinder bored out at a machine shop; new pistons, piston rings, bearings, camshafts, lifters , gaskets, oil pump, crankshafts. All need to be replaced or reconditioned if you're truly talking about rebuilding the engine.

And I would trust a lower mileage "used" factory Lexus engine over something that came from a local rebuilder/machine shop.

But keep us posted, if you love the car and want the project, why not.
Thanks for posting this. I am going to take this post to heart as it makes sense.

Just got the car towed back. Going to drain the oil today and see what it looks like. Will start posting as soon as I get some pictures.