LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Most Aggressive Offset/Width WITHOUT fender mods. Also, wheel recommendations please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 09:21 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most Aggressive Offset/Width WITHOUT fender mods. Also, wheel recommendations please.

Greetings Car Peoples,

1st post here and I have a few Qs..

To start off, I’ve been into cars since the early 90s and I am fine/comfortable with working on cars and DIYs (I’ve done many engine/tranny/diff swaps, head swaps, all suspension parts, brakes, gear cluster swaps(already assembled), cam swaps, valve adjustments, and electrical (both auto and pro music/recording studio gear). The only thing I haven’t done is advanced stuff like rebuilding blocks, rebuilding transmissions//diffs, etc.) I guess I’m just saying I’m not completely incompetent with cars lol.

Anyways, I’ve never owned a sedan/4dr (yet); only coupes, sportscars and trucks. The reason I am on here is because I would like to research a bit on my dad’s car, a Lexus ’04 LS 430. Specifically, for now, the wheel fitments.

This car will NOT be modified like crazy (or at all lol). So, absolutely no coilovers, no bags, no lowering springs, no modified control arms spindles links nor other suspension pieces, no upgraded BBKs, no crazy negative camber... and also absolutely no fender rolls, no fender pulls, no fender shaving. Basically a bone stock car. Just wheels and tires.

So…My question, the simplest I can put it:
What is the most aggressive width and offset that I can fit with a nice flush (no poke, and minimal sink) with No fender mods/pulling/shaving/rolling/etc. and no crazy negative camber???

Biggest desire/concern: I want a nice deep lip and flushness.

So far, from reading/searching a couple threads and pics, I am really interested in F:9” et25 and R:10” et25.
Will this work well for my intentions and stock car/setup? Is this considered too aggressive without any fender mods/rolls/pulls/shaves if it was lowered and does this poke too much?? ...or is this considered a medium aggressive or mild setup?

This car will be stock height..my dad is absolutely not into modifying the car and is the ultra conservative type that wants to keep it as oem/factory as possible when it comes to modifying ..but Is really wanting/interested in wheels …I just want to steer him in the right direction with my better knowledge/experience in proper, classy, quality, nice wheel selections (instead of him picking up a set of shtty overpriced low quality chrome wheels at the local tire rack or the lexus dealership like every joe schmo in america, lol)

Also, I want to get some wheel recommendations that are similar to what attracts me - Work Gnosis HS203 and most of the Gnosis series lineup (but the 5 spoke I like the best). I have narrowed my decision to those because I like jdm quality and appearance, the nice polished lip, the minimal clean classy design, etc. The reason I am asking for recommendations, even though I have said I have made my decision, is because those Gnosis wheels are around $3.6k brand new. Idk if he is willing to spend that much; but just in case he isn’t willing to spend that high, I would love to hear some other recommendations and options of similar wheels to the HS203 or the Gnosis series - minimal, classy, clean, maybe 5 spoke (or maybe an old school design..even mesh perhaps), a nice fat polished lip, very quality made and quality metal and finishing; but just a little cheaper, maybe in the $2-3k range for a set? Best bang for the buck type stuff without sacrificing too much quality. Jdm or German quality the better; but my ears are open to domestic quality wheels. Also, me being a sports coupe kinda person; I am not that knowledgable/aware of the many nice polished sedan kinda wheels that are out there; so I need to be steered in the right direction.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thx

Last edited by fooddude; 05-19-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 05:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

I actually have a set of 20x9 and 20x10.5 +23 all around Work Gnosis HS203's on my 06 LS430. The rear is pretty aggressive and I needed to run stretched tires in the rear. My LS is lowered but not by much. The front sits flush but rubs occasionally.

Work Wheels are expensive though and they can take around three months to come in from Japan if you custom order them like I did. You may want to look into purchasing a used set of Works, SSR's, BBS', Leon Hardritts, or Weds wheels. Sometimes you can find a nice set of wheels in the classifieds section here on Club Lexus or you can check out Vrwheels.com for some excellent prices on rare JDM wheels. They always get new wheels in so you may want to check their site daily.

As far as offsets and sizes go since you won't be lowering the car I would recommend 20x9 +25 and 20x10.5 +30 to 35 range so you don't have to worry about stretching tires or rubbing at stock height. My setup pokes quite a bit in the rear but the front sits flush.

Here are a few pics of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails Most Aggressive Offset/Width WITHOUT fender mods. Also, wheel recommendations please.-img_3586copy_zps1eeb8935.jpg   Most Aggressive Offset/Width WITHOUT fender mods. Also, wheel recommendations please.-20140508_082714.jpg   Most Aggressive Offset/Width WITHOUT fender mods. Also, wheel recommendations please.-20140508_082720_hdr.jpg  
Old 05-20-14, 10:41 AM
fooddude
Rookie

@Kira X:
Thanks for the info and advice ..exactly what I was looking for.

I'd prolly just go +30 or +35 all around then, which sounds the best/safest for my plans/application -- not too low of an offset and not too crazy aggressive.. and not too mild and high of an offset which gives way too little lip... +30 to +35 sounds like a nice middle ground and will still give me a good amount of lip.

When running a tad higher offsets (ie: +30 to +35) on relatively wide 9"-10" wide wheels, with a tad more "sink," are there any issues with rubbing in any internal wheel wells and/or upper control arms/struts/spring perches? (since running wider wheels with higher/sunk offsets, usually and might have more issues with "inner" parts rubbing, generally speaking for any car/make/model)

So for the front, you don't have any outer/fender nor inner rubbing issues at all? 9"et23 sounds pretty aggressive. Edit: n/m, I just re-read you rub occasionally...so I think I'll be safer with et30 or et35. Where does it rub? .. outer fenders I assume?

If I ran a +30 or +35 all around (F9" and R10"), will the front be too "sunk". Or, will a 9"et30-et35 still look pretty good and mildly aggressive?

As for the rear, does 10.5" over 10" really make that big/drastic a difference in lip size and appearance? I am more attracted with a skinnier 10" for tire costs. Not really into super stretched tires.

Super classy and clean car btw..love it!

What's it lowered on and how much is it lowered? Is that normal or stepped lip?

I think I'll just stick with Gnosis lineup...they're the only ones that attract me that are <$800 per

Last edited by fooddude; 05-20-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 12:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

ive got 11's in the rear , im not sure if u consider a roll to be a fender mod or not, I could of avoided it if I ran a smaller tire.

Ill try to get you offsets later, right now I really don't know what they are , but I have a 285/25 in the rear.
Old 05-20-14, 12:40 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

20x9 in front and 20x10in rear, if you keep a 30 or higher offset you will be good, depending on the tires you run.
Old 05-20-14, 01:36 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
20x9 in front and 20x10in rear, if you keep a 30 or higher offset you will be good, depending on the tires you run.
Cool...I'll most likely do just that! Thanks.

Btw: you guys think 19" would look too small? Kinda gravitating towards 19"
Old 05-20-14, 06:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by fooddude
@Kira X:
Thanks for the info and advice ..exactly what I was looking for.

I'd prolly just go +30 or +35 all around then, which sounds the best/safest for my plans/application -- not too low of an offset and not too crazy aggressive.. and not too mild and high of an offset which gives way too little lip... +30 to +35 sounds like a nice middle ground and will still give me a good amount of lip.

When running a tad higher offsets (ie: +30 to +35) on relatively wide 9"-10" wide wheels, with a tad more "sink," are there any issues with rubbing in any internal wheel wells and/or upper control arms/struts/spring perches? (since running wider wheels with higher/sunk offsets, usually and might have more issues with "inner" parts rubbing, generally speaking for any car/make/model)

So for the front, you don't have any outer/fender nor inner rubbing issues at all? 9"et23 sounds pretty aggressive. Edit: n/m, I just re-read you rub occasionally...so I think I'll be safer with et30 or et35. Where does it rub? .. outer fenders I assume?

If I ran a +30 or +35 all around (F9" and R10"), will the front be too "sunk". Or, will a 9"et30-et35 still look pretty good and mildly aggressive?

As for the rear, does 10.5" over 10" really make that big/drastic a difference in lip size and appearance? I am more attracted with a skinnier 10" for tire costs. Not really into super stretched tires.

Super classy and clean car btw..love it!

What's it lowered on and how much is it lowered? Is that normal or stepped lip?

I think I'll just stick with Gnosis lineup...they're the only ones that attract me that are <$800 per

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

I would recommend a +30 to +35 offset to be safe. I forgot to mention that my fenders are shaved in the rear. With a higher offset you should be alright. You also have the option of going with a 20x10 offset with a +25 to +30 offset.

As far as the rubbing goes I rub on the outer fender a little bit. It's not too bad but it is annoying. The rear rubs like crazy so I've had to raise it up a lot but it still gives me problems. It's more of a problem with my coilovers being too bouncy.

I think a +30 all around with a 20x9 and 20x10 setup will look fine. It should still be close to flush, especially at stock height.

Thank you for the compliments! I'm on Megan EZ coilovers. It's hard to say how much it's lowered. I was originally slammed on the stock 18 inch wheels and had to raise the front almost two inches and the rear about an inch from where it used to be. I went with the step lip but I'm starting to like the reverse lip look better since it makes the wheels seem bigger.

Another set of wheels I would highly recommend are the new SSR Professor SP4's. They just came out this month and look amazing. I'm considering buying a set for my SC300 to replace my old school SP1's. I think you would really like them, especially in a 20 inch step lip setup. Check them out on Google. They shouldn't cost much more than the Gnosis.
Old 05-20-14, 06:12 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Cool...I'll most likely do just that! Thanks.

Btw: you guys think 19" would look too small? Kinda gravitating towards 19"
19"s do look too small unless you plan on slamming the car. One thing to keep in mind on step lip wheels is that it gives the appearance of having smaller wheels.

My 20 inch step lip Gnosis HS203's basically have a 19 inch face with a 20 inch lip. They don't look as big as a set of 20"s with a reverse lip.

If you like the step lip look the 20 inch Work Gnosis line, Leon Hardritt Ordens, and SSR Professor SP1/SP4's look great. If you wanted the Gnosis wheels in 19 inches instead they only come in reverse lips.
Old 05-20-14, 06:58 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Yes, I coincidentlly just saw the SP4's yesterday while browsing Evasive website. Never seen them before..but, I've always been a fan of the original SP1's for sport and compact cars. A very nice timeless design.
Old 05-20-14, 07:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Yes, I coincidentlly just saw the SP4's yesterday while browsing Evasive website. Never seen them before..but, I've always been a fan of the original SP1's for sport and compact cars. A very nice timeless design.
They actually look amazing on LS430. One of the moderators here has a set of 20 inch brushed silver SP1's on his LS430 and it looks amazing. I almost bought a set of SP1's for my LS but I thought they would look funny at first.

Looking back now I wish I had bought those SP1's.

Here is a link to that LS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html
Old 05-20-14, 08:01 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

I'll post pics of mine when I do my "build thread," but I have 20x10.5 rears with about a 25 offset and I poke.
Old 05-20-14, 08:02 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

there's a nice set of LH Waffe's in the for sale section....
Old 05-20-14, 09:44 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kira X
They actually look amazing on LS430.

Here is a link to that LS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html
You're right! They doo look nice on a sedan in 20"! Looks much different than the 17s/18s you typically see them in, with those longer and more slender looking spokes.
Old 05-20-14, 10:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

You're right! They doo look nice on a sedan in 20"! Looks much different than the 17s/18s you typically see them in, with those longer and more slender looking spokes.
Yeah, they do look a lot cooler as 19"s and 20"s. It gives the LS a sporty luxury look.

The SP4's would probably be even better.
Old 05-21-14, 01:31 AM
fooddude
Rookie

SP1/SP4 are surely nice...but I just noticed they're around $900-1000/wheel.

I think I would just go with the Gnosis as it's considerably cheaper at around $700-800, and still very nice, if not, as nice, as the SP1/4.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the estimated prices.

Quick Reply: Most Aggressive Offset/Width WITHOUT fender mods. Also, wheel recommendations please.