LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Window Tint and heat rejection

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 10:24 AM
eggtart
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$599 is very high. Shops around my area charge $350-400 for a sedan using Blue80
Old 05-22-14, 12:00 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I' definitely skeptical of the really high dollar tint jobs and the difference between more conventional tint.

I would love to see a non-biased study of say a mid grade tint vs a top of the line and see how much cooler it really makes the car, I have a feeling you're talking about 1 degree. I definitely believe tint in general though makes a big difference in comfort and it also protects your interior from the sun.

I had a good friend that I worked with who started his own tint business and made really good money with all sorts of large contracts. His take on the expensive tint with the ceramics was that it was mainly smoke and mirrors, but there was a tiny grain of truth. He didn't use it himself, he used a mid grade conventional tint.

Here in AZ, I go just a bit darker than legal. I've never been hassled by cops, it's when you go "limo" that you get in trouble, which is a look I'm not into anyway.

I also have my front windshield with a really light tint, (also illegal, I'm a hardened criminal) it's around "80" which is hard to tell it's even on there It did knock the heat down, especially with a big black dashboard and there's no issues with visibility at night, but I'm not sure I would do it again. At certain angles of the sun, it's just not as crystal clear as I would like.
Old 05-23-14, 09:28 AM
LexusinTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Got a quote for $599 for Llumar Blue80. Not doing that.
Keep looking Bob, my LS430 was done in Blue 80 for $300 even. I am in Dallas btw, so it's not a small town discount etc.
Old 05-23-14, 02:50 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I' definitely skeptical of the really high dollar tint jobs and the difference between more conventional tint.

I would love to see a non-biased study of say a mid grade tint vs a top of the line and see how much cooler it really makes the car, I have a feeling you're talking about 1 degree. I definitely believe tint in general though makes a big difference in comfort and it also protects your interior from the sun.

I had a good friend that I worked with who started his own tint business and made really good money with all sorts of large contracts. His take on the expensive tint with the ceramics was that it was mainly smoke and mirrors, but there was a tiny grain of truth. He didn't use it himself, he used a mid grade conventional tint.

Here in AZ, I go just a bit darker than legal. I've never been hassled by cops, it's when you go "limo" that you get in trouble, which is a look I'm not into anyway.

I also have my front windshield with a really light tint, (also illegal, I'm a hardened criminal) it's around "80" which is hard to tell it's even on there It did knock the heat down, especially with a big black dashboard and there's no issues with visibility at night, but I'm not sure I would do it again. At certain angles of the sun, it's just not as crystal clear as I would like.
I couldn't agree more. The difference between conventional and expensive tint is most likely insignificant.
Old 05-23-14, 03:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Automotive window tinting film was first introduced in 1966. As you might expect, it has been improved and is now made in several different materials of which ceramic is only one, and has been repurposed to some extent from making you look cool to actually being cool. Light and heat enter your car from three different segments of the radiation spectrum: infrared, visual and ultraviolet. Films that block infrared and visual light keep the interior of your car cool on sunny days. Blocking some of the visual light provides privacy, while blocking UV light protects your skin from the adverse effects of solar exposure.

Materials

Ceramic window film is made from nonmetallic nano-particles so fine you cannot see them with your naked eye and are even hard to distinguish under a light microscope. One high-end crystalline film is made up of 200 layers of optical material that is thinner than a sheet of copy paper. Then there are dyed polyester films, metallic films and two-layer films combining dyed and metallic films. Each of these other films are different from ceramic film and each have a place in the market.

Blocking Percentages

The different film materials can be manufactured with different percentages of transmission in the three light spectrums. When it comes to visual light, the law in your state determines how dark your car's windows can be tinted. You can go online to the International Window Film Association to find out how dark you can go in your state. A reputable dealer or installer should be able to keep you out of trouble with the law by providing you the legal requirements of window tinting in your state (see Resources).

Light Transmission

You can purchase ceramic films that allow 30 percent -- or the minimum your state allows -- up to 50 percent of the outside light into your car. Crystalline films, which are nearly clear, allow up to 90 percent light transmission. The dyed polyester and polyester or metallic films allow from 5 to 55 percent of the light through your car's windows. Fully metallic films shut light transmission down to 10 to 40 percent providing glare relief.

Heat Blocking

What will keep you thermally cool while you ride around in the sun is the amount of infrared and heat blocking your car's window tinting provides. The polyester and composite films will block from 45 to 57 percent of the heat. The ceramic film stops 59 percent of the heat coming through your windows while blocking up to 80 percent of the infrared light. Metallic film will block about 72 percent of the outside heat. The top heat and infrared stopper is the crystalline film. It will reject 60 percent of the heat and a whopping 97 percent of the infrared light.

Sun Block

The ceramic film differs from the other films in that it stops about 99 percent of the ultraviolet part of the spectrum coming through your glass. This is a Sun Protection Factor, commonly known as SPF, of about 1000. It offers far more protection than you can get from sunscreen, not only good for you, but it helps your car's interior as it sits out in the sun.

Electronic Signals

If you use a cell phone or smartphone in your car or have a GPS system or satellite radio, you can avoid almost certain interference problems by not selecting metallic film and avoid possible problems by not using composite film. The other films do not interfere with the reception of electronic signals.

Durability

The higher quality films, such as the ceramic, crystalline, top-of-the line polyester and fully metallic film will probably come with a limited lifetime warranty -- lifetime meaning as long as you own your vehicle. You will be warranted against degradation of the solar properties, physical properties, loss of adhesion -- as indicated by bubbles or blisters -- and change in appearance, especially the fading to purple of dyed films or corrosion around the edges of metallic films. Lower-end films may provide only a three-year warranty. The ceramic film, lacking dyes or metal, claims to provide good service for many years.
http://autoresource.internetautoguid...tint-2423.html
Old 05-23-14, 05:30 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I chose 35% all the way around - Suntek Ceramic. It's not the best but the whole car was $250 with lifetime warranty.
Old 05-23-14, 06:17 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

3M Crystalline for lightest tint with most TSER and IR rejection. 90/70/60/50/40. Pretty expensive though. Quoted from 500 to 750 for 4 door sedan.

Alternative was Formula 1 Pinnacle; ceramic. Needs to be 15 to equal the 40 Crystalline effect. 300 for 4 door sedan.

Thinking about 70 windshield and 40 all around - crystalline myself.
Old 05-24-14, 08:33 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I chose 35% all the way around - Suntek Ceramic. It's not the best but the whole car was $250 with lifetime warranty.
I'm considering a Suntek product also. Did you get the Carbon or Carbon XP?
Old 05-24-14, 09:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I'm considering a Suntek product also. Did you get the Carbon or Carbon XP?
XP. I used Yelp to find the highest rated shops my area and then kind of pitted them against each other for the best deal. The best stuff was about $600 but that is kind of crazy. I'm happy with the performance. I wish glare was a little better but nothing beats good polarized sunglasses and the SPF is great. I'm also in the South and prices are generally cheaper here. Negotiate if you can.
Old 05-24-14, 11:48 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Did $250 include the front and rear glass too? They want $450 to do XP on all six windows for me.
Old 05-24-14, 12:18 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Warning: Gonna sound bad, but I've gotta vent a little.

Why do these places all have women answering the phones? Out of the 7 places I've called, 6 of them had women answering the phone, and not one of them knew anything about the actual product except the generic details. So, we spend 10 minutes with her going back and forth with the "guy in the back" trying to figure out what they have and what they don't have and how much it cost. About all they know is the price for the cheapest tint and the VLT associated with that tint. Most can also give you the "unlimited warranty", even when it clearly states on their website a 3 year warranty on the cheaper product. Most try to answer the question with a guess or "I think so" comment, and I have to say "Can you find out for sure?" Hell, I can guess.

Most shops only carry a handful of products. If you are gonna put anybody on a phone answering questions, how damn hard is it to learn them inside out.

Anyway, not hating on women, because I work with some very capable, extremely intelligent women. My wife is brilliant and a very successful vice president and an even better wife and mother. But for some reason, these shops seem to be fine with these ladies answering the phones that don't really know their business. Very frustrating.
Old 05-25-14, 01:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Did $250 include the front and rear glass too? They want $450 to do XP on all six windows for me.
I think the windshield was $50 extra.
Old 05-25-14, 06:28 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I think the windshield was $50 extra.
Still, you got a great deal. They are quoting my $500 for all windows including windshield around here.
Old 05-25-14, 06:53 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the better tint shops here in central VA told me $250 for Carbon XP and $200 for the Carbon. I had the carbon on my GS400 and was very happy with it. Might go with the XP since it's only 50 more bux. My black interior is like an oven when I get in my car lately
Old 05-25-14, 07:17 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
One of the better tint shops here in central VA told me $250 for Carbon XP and $200 for the Carbon. I had the carbon on my GS400 and was very happy with it. Might go with the XP since it's only 50 more bux. My black interior is like an oven when I get in my car lately
What do you have as tint in your LS430 now?

Quick Reply: Window Tint and heat rejection