LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Body Roll Is Annoying

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 09:58 AM
PabloMEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
They fit my rear sway bar perfectly and the old original bushings and these were identical in shape and size... Amazon is not always accurate when it comes to what fits your vehicle. I had a long drive yesterday and I love how my car rides and handles.
Got a direct link?

I emailed that ebay store, but haven't heard back. It has been several days. It's cool if they do not have them, but they should tell me straight up.
Old 04-14-16, 07:47 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered both sets from Amazon.
Old 07-09-16, 06:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I ordered both sets from Amazon.
Took your advice and ordered the same ACDelco/Prothane bushings you installed. I'm looking forward to see how the effect the ride.
Old 07-09-16, 07:17 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishDude
does the rear sports bar work on a UL?
My question exactly. Apologies if I somehow missed the response. That said, have not noticed the body roll being too bad and I live within 45 minutes of Tail of the Dragon so there are certainly curves where I live.
Old 07-09-16, 09:51 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

People, it IS a large car and not a race car.
Old 07-09-16, 10:00 AM
2KHarrier

People, it IS a large car and not a race car.
You are very correct, however with 125,000 miles on suspension pieces, and my own inspection of the bushings, they need replacement. So, I simply stated that I was replacing them with the same bushings that you used. You noticed a difference, I'm hoping to notice said difference.

The LS is not, nor ever will be a "performance" auto.
Old 07-09-16, 05:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think with sport tires, sway bushings and especially euro suspension it is not a performance auto but will improve and you can have fun within the confines of the speed limit at least in my area. You wanna rip around corners with little regard for posted limits that is fine in my book be careful but indeed you will need a different auto.

Euro Sport 2004
Pilot 3 A/S
Old 07-11-16, 07:24 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
You are very correct, however with 125,000 miles on suspension pieces, and my own inspection of the bushings, they need replacement. So, I simply stated that I was replacing them with the same bushings that you used. You noticed a difference, I'm hoping to notice said difference.

The LS is not, nor ever will be a "performance" auto.
I mentioned that the LS was not a race car because other people think this car should ride on rails. LOL. I did not mean that towards you. I really think you will feel a little bit of difference once you install the firmer bushings. I really like how they have slightly firmed up the car while switching lanes and turning and it will still ride great. Hopefully your other components are still in good shape... Enjoy.
Old 08-01-16, 07:45 AM
white430s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have the sport suspension and had a regular suspension on my first LS. The sport suspension I prefer in every facet to regular suspension. Tires are as important for crisper handling and steering. Ultra high performance all seasons I run with no regrets over touring all seasons. Pilot A/s3 plus is a sweet tire in this category with a 45 k warrantee. There are others in this class. I run snows in winter XIce 3 H rated are sweet many sipes. Get v rated tires if possible or the Michelins even come Z rated W rated. Others prefer the touring tires for smooth quiet ride. Great for them I just this LS is now fun to drive with no compromise IMO, just MO. Not wanting to start a firestorm others feel the LS will never handle well I say come drive my LS. Hope this helps. I think with the sport shocks and rear sway others have said there is no front sway option you have a Euro if you have 18 inch tires.
I love my big, reliable 2006 LS430 Sport. I had the Micheline Pilot Sport A/S 3 installed a year ago and it became a whole new new car. The next day, after installation, I had to brake for a vehicle that pulled into my path while traveling at 50 mph on wet FL blacktop; the tires in conjunction with the car's ABS and sport suspention brought it to a stop just shy of the "miscalcultor"'s bumper. The tires felt like actuated magnets.
Acceleration is instant and drama-less; no torque wasted on slip. Cornering is unbelievable in this big boat even on wet roads. There may be a road noise drawback but nothing I notice in a car that is already vault quiet and smooth by virtue of it's build quality. I have put 24k ridiculously hard miles on these tires. I think they have 5k - to 10k miles left on them. The car has 130k total. I should be driving a BMW but I like this solid car to much to part with it.
Old 08-02-16, 05:47 AM
Yohimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Junglequac
My question exactly. Apologies if I somehow missed the response. That said, have not noticed the body roll being too bad and I live within 45 minutes of Tail of the Dragon so there are certainly curves where I live.
I would really hope someone could chime in on this...I have a UL and wonder if the sport rear sway would make a difference as opposed to my "sport" suspension setting.
Old 08-02-16, 07:06 AM
2KHarrier

I installed these bushings yesterday and found that my LS430 rides smoother and handles much better then before and I am really surprised on the difference that they made. The Prothane 19-1182-BL Black 26 mm's went on the front and ACDelco 45G0952 Professional rear suspension stabilizer bushings went on the rear. Both fit well and I installed them within 2 hours on my back. LOL. I did have to use new larger washers on the Prothane brackets... The original Lexus bushings were still in really good condition and I will update this week when I get more driving time on the freeway...
Tried to install these on my '01 yesterday. They were too big (?) My rear stabilizer bar is much smaller than the ACDelco bushing opening. The Prothane bushings were loose on the front as well. I have to assume the stabilizer bars on my car are smaller than what you have XJS... Mine is not an ML or UL. Did those cars have larger sway bars?
In any case, I'm sending these back to Amazon and ordering again...
Old 08-02-16, 04:54 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

It's possible the 01-03 are 25mm, and the 04+ are 26mm, but I have no absolute confirmation of which year it changed, or if it differs by trim level. It'd be best to measure it with a caliper before you order. Turns out my '02 ML has a 25mm front sway bar. I did an exchange on Amazon for the 19-1181 bushings, and they seem to fit alright. You will need bigger washers as XJSFan had stated. I'm running the Ultra Racing rear sway bar, so I cannot confirm what rear bushings would fit the early model. I'll be back with my opinion on the changes in a couple weeks or so, if I can get some good long driving in.
Old 08-03-16, 05:27 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by doyo
It's possible the 01-03 are 25mm, and the 04+ are 26mm, but I have no absolute confirmation of which year it changed, or if it differs by trim level. It'd be best to measure it with a caliper before you order. Turns out my '02 ML has a 25mm front sway bar. I did an exchange on Amazon for the 19-1181 bushings, and they seem to fit alright. You will need bigger washers as XJSFan had stated. I'm running the Ultra Racing rear sway bar, so I cannot confirm what rear bushings would fit the early model. I'll be back with my opinion on the changes in a couple weeks or so, if I can get some good long driving in.
Thanks for the info Doyo. I'll use my dial calipers and measure the bars.
Old 08-03-16, 08:40 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

the 04-06's must be slightly larger because the bushings I ordered fit perfect. Sorry about that and I hope you get it worked out...
Old 08-03-16, 01:59 PM
2KHarrier

the 04-06's must be slightly larger because the bushings I ordered fit perfect. Sorry about that and I hope you get it worked out...
No big deal XJ, Amazon already issued the refund and I'll just make sure of the stabilizer bar diameter before I buy again..

Quick Reply: LS430 Body Roll Is Annoying