LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A reason I can't get rid of this car..mpg's ROCK!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 05:46 PM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default A reason I can't get rid of this car..mpg's ROCK!!

So just took a. Trip to Raleigh nc from Charlotte nc and managed 31.2 there and total round trip of 29.5 (off the highway city driving lowered the average).

2001 ls430 @ 171,000 miles. Tires at 38-40psi. Two passengers windows up ac on at 70mph average.

All my friends are jealous lol. Bravo Lexus.

Old 05-11-14, 06:22 PM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good stuff
Old 05-11-14, 07:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

your car looks super clean ,,,,im struggling with mileage on mine ,,im averaging 400 to 500 kms per tank , which costs $100.00

if its all city driving it gets much less , as low as 250 or 300kms
Old 05-12-14, 05:58 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, that is a very clean looking LS... you're taking excellent care of it.
Shows great pride of ownership.
Old 05-12-14, 06:02 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Your high tire pressures really help for long hwy trips... These tanks just slide on down the road. LOL.
Old 05-12-14, 08:47 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wildly impressive mileage, but aren't your tires wearing out in the center of the tread?
Would really hesitate using cold tire 40psi then rolling down the roads for a few hours of 75mph on a hot summer day.
Recipe for a blowout.
Old 05-12-14, 11:15 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riick
Wildly impressive mileage, but aren't your tires wearing out in the center of the tread?
Would really hesitate using cold tire 40psi then rolling down the roads for a few hours of 75mph on a hot summer day.
Recipe for a blowout.

fyi max tire pressure is at 52psi... well thats what im reading on the tires of my car, my two brothers, and my moms car

i doubt on a hot summers day 40psi filled when cold could expand that much
Old 05-13-14, 05:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Interesting note about tire pressure from Tire Rack...

Summary: Tire pressure changes about 1 psi per 10 degrees of temperature.
and... from starting pressure driving for 30 minutes could increase tire pressure 5 psi...

You may have set your pressure at 40 psi when you started, but after a few minutes of driving your PSI will be much more.
from Tirerack.com:
The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

In most parts of North America, the difference between average summer and winter temperatures is about -50° Fahrenheit...which results in a potential loss of about 5 psi as winter's temperatures set in. And a 5 psi loss is enough to sacrifice handling, traction, and durability!

Additionally, the difference between cold nighttime temperatures and hot daytime temperatures in most parts of the country is about 20° Fahrenheit. This means that after setting tire pressures first thing in the morning, the vehicle's tire pressures will be almost 2 psi higher when measured in the afternoon (if the vehicle was parked in the shade). While that is expected, the problem is when you set your vehicle's tire pressures in the heat of the day, their cold pressures will probably be 2 psi low the following morning.

And finally, if the vehicle is parked in the sun, the sun's radiant heat will artificially and temporarily increase tire pressures.

We put some of these theories to the test at the Tire Rack. First, we mounted two tires on wheels. We let them sit overnight to equalize and stabilize their temperatures and pressures. The following morning we set them both to 35 psi. One tire and wheel was placed in the shade while the other was placed directly in the sun. We then monitored the ambient temperatures, tire temperatures and tire pressures through the day. As the day's temperatures went from 67° to 85° Fahrenheit, the tire that was kept in the shade went from our starting pressure of 35 psi to a high of 36.5 psi. The tire that was placed in the sun and subject to the increase in ambient temperature plus the sun's radiant heat went from our starting pressure of 35 psi to a high of 40 psi. In both cases, if we had set our tire pressures in the afternoon under the conditions of our evaluation, they would have been between 2 and 5 psi low the following morning.

Next we evaluated the effects of heat generated by the tire's flexing during use. We tried to eliminate the variable conditions we might encounter on the road by conducting this test using our "competition tire heat cycling service" that rolls the tires under load against the machine's rollers to simulate real world driving. We monitored the changes in tire pressure in 5-minute intervals. The test tires were inflated to 15 psi, 20 psi, 25 psi and 30 psi. Running them all under the same load, the air pressure in all of the tires went up about 1 psi during every 5 minutes of use for the first 20 minutes of operation. Then the air pressures stabilized, typically gaining no more than 1 psi of additional pressure during the next 20 minutes. This means that even a short drive to inflate your tires will result in tires that will probably be under-inflated by a few psi the following morning.
Old 05-13-14, 06:10 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Interesting note about tire pressure from Tire Rack...

Summary: Tire pressure changes about 1 psi per 10 degrees of temperature.
and... from starting pressure driving for 30 minutes could increase tire pressure 5 psi...

You may have set your pressure at 40 psi when you started, but after a few minutes of driving your PSI will be much more.
from Tirerack.com:
The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

In most parts of North America, the difference between average summer and winter temperatures is about -50° Fahrenheit...which results in a potential loss of about 5 psi as winter's temperatures set in. And a 5 psi loss is enough to sacrifice handling, traction, and durability!

Additionally, the difference between cold nighttime temperatures and hot daytime temperatures in most parts of the country is about 20° Fahrenheit. This means that after setting tire pressures first thing in the morning, the vehicle's tire pressures will be almost 2 psi higher when measured in the afternoon (if the vehicle was parked in the shade). While that is expected, the problem is when you set your vehicle's tire pressures in the heat of the day, their cold pressures will probably be 2 psi low the following morning.

And finally, if the vehicle is parked in the sun, the sun's radiant heat will artificially and temporarily increase tire pressures.

We put some of these theories to the test at the Tire Rack. First, we mounted two tires on wheels. We let them sit overnight to equalize and stabilize their temperatures and pressures. The following morning we set them both to 35 psi. One tire and wheel was placed in the shade while the other was placed directly in the sun. We then monitored the ambient temperatures, tire temperatures and tire pressures through the day. As the day's temperatures went from 67° to 85° Fahrenheit, the tire that was kept in the shade went from our starting pressure of 35 psi to a high of 36.5 psi. The tire that was placed in the sun and subject to the increase in ambient temperature plus the sun's radiant heat went from our starting pressure of 35 psi to a high of 40 psi. In both cases, if we had set our tire pressures in the afternoon under the conditions of our evaluation, they would have been between 2 and 5 psi low the following morning.

Next we evaluated the effects of heat generated by the tire's flexing during use. We tried to eliminate the variable conditions we might encounter on the road by conducting this test using our "competition tire heat cycling service" that rolls the tires under load against the machine's rollers to simulate real world driving. We monitored the changes in tire pressure in 5-minute intervals. The test tires were inflated to 15 psi, 20 psi, 25 psi and 30 psi. Running them all under the same load, the air pressure in all of the tires went up about 1 psi during every 5 minutes of use for the first 20 minutes of operation. Then the air pressures stabilized, typically gaining no more than 1 psi of additional pressure during the next 20 minutes. This means that even a short drive to inflate your tires will result in tires that will probably be under-inflated by a few psi the following morning.
Interesting information that I have known for a long time... The manufacturers recommended PSI is cold pressure before driven... I always check my vehicles in the garage/shade in the AM before driving and not when the car is in the sunlight. I want to make sure all four tires are the same starting PSI when checked. Like the article, if one side is sitting in the sunlight, then it will have higher psi's.

40PSI will not burst his tire but they will ride rough compared to the manufacturer recommended 32-33 PSI depending on which LS model you have.
Old 05-13-14, 06:36 AM
Legender
Racer

So many have no idea... I posted as was helping a neighbor kid (he's in his 20s) and both front tires had 45 psi in them... because the max pressure on the tire said 51, so he thought 45 would be OK... I knew of the 1 psi per 10 degrees, but was not sure of the psi increase due to driving... that it could be as high as 5 psi... that part was new to me. I too like to check mine in the morning, in the garage.
Old 05-13-14, 07:06 AM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Th tires were consistent with around low. 40's. The tires are no where near being new so I'm not worried too much about the center wearing. By the time that happens, I would probably be overdue for a new set lol.

I hate that I'm considering selling it in order to fund a nice diesel truck and car trailer. Tis is life though.
Old 05-13-14, 07:33 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been averaging around 22.5 per tank and on the highway doing 75 mph I usually get between 27-28 mpg with the A/C on. Not bad for a 2001 Ultra luxury edition with 122k miles on it. My friend has a 2001 camry that gets about the same mpg's
Old 05-13-14, 08:40 AM
Legender
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
I been averaging around 22.5 per tank and on the highway doing 75 mph I usually get between 27-28 mpg with the A/C on. Not bad for a 2001 Ultra luxury edition with 122k miles on it. My friend has a 2001 camry that gets about the same mpg's
Exactly my point to many people... there is no need to sacrifice luxury to get decent mileage.... unless you're talking a civic or something that gets 35+mpg... but then who wants to go there...
Old 05-13-14, 09:03 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That's pretty good. I'm hoping I get good gas mileage like that when we go out of town for a car show next month.
Old 05-13-14, 09:22 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just drove my 01 from Annapolis Maryland to downtown Pittsburgh and back on a full tank of gas......and I drover the car alittle bit each day while up there for a week. 4.5 hr drive each way.

You cant beat that, i was thoroughly impressed.

Quick Reply: A reason I can't get rid of this car..mpg's ROCK!!