LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

choosing between ls430s.

Old 04-26-14, 10:02 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing between ls430s.

Got 3 available here. One has 188k miles. A bit too high for me to be comfortable. The other two are both at 152 k miles. One has the navigation package and the other is the ultra luxury package.

Question is the ultra package a good or bad bet at that mileage. Is the air suspension due to fail soon? I've found the threads on replacing the suspension. If you had to pick what would you take?
Old 04-27-14, 04:36 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Given your rustbelt location and the mileage you're looking at, pick a car with:

- Sunbelt ownership history (at that mileage, you're going to be replacing lots of corroded stuff underneath a rustbelt car). I made the mistake of buying an older LX that lived in the north and it had a laundry list of corroded stuff to replace.

- Avoid the UL package with the expensive-to-fix air suspension.

- Buy the LS with the least electronics to go wrong, the premium package w/o nav.

- As usual, look for a good service history and everything working to start with.

Good luck in your search.
Old 04-27-14, 06:19 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put the vin numbers in the lexus owners site and see what looks best for service history. With those miles I'd stay away from air suspension unless you want to convert over to standard coils or pay thousands for new oem air parts.

Check for exhaust leaks, rust etc etc. Verify timing belts and such have been changed.

Search the forum. These threads are everywhere and full of good info
Old 04-27-14, 08:46 AM
fusionrx
Rookie

Originally Posted by caddyowner
- Buy the LS with the least electronics to go wrong, the premium package w/o nav.
Thats the one at 188 k miles
Old 04-27-14, 10:04 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The air suspension is expensive to fix with new OEM parts. If the car is in great condition and you have the money to convert it to a normal suspension when needed it's about $350.00 more then a standard suspension. Coil springs and a few mounts. Shocks are about $400 for KYB's. By 130,000 shocks are pretty worn in any car I have ever owned. If you can use your weight to bounce the corner of the car up and down you need new shocks. Also, only non UL owners are always telling people to avoid them. Anyway, it needs to have a good suspension whatever you choose. Look for rust and and service history,. The more the merrier, usually. Timing belt / water pump and tune up? Have they been done. Also control arm work. These repairs are fairly costly over time.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-27-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 12:19 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get the UL and convert the air suspension if broken. just cuz its a expensive fix doesnt mean there isnt cheaper alternatives (coilovers, shocks+springs combo) i would go the $750 for Megan EZ coilovers or $1000 for BC or Stance coilovers route.
Old 04-27-14, 12:48 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

depends on the price, service history, and the "condition" esp. rust on the car. by those miles. LCA bushings and suspension work will most likely need to be done regardless of air or standard steel springs. i would note that the UL and CL versions have upgraded leather interior which should hold up a little better with age.

ensuring the TB/WP work was done at a decent mileage should indicate prior ownership and care for the car. transmission fluid service would be a good sign as well. have an independent mechanic specializing in toyota/lexus check it out.
Old 04-27-14, 12:58 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

None of the above ... find a vehicle in a southern state or non-rust belt state, buy it, and drive it back to Wi - especially if you plan to keep the car for 5 years.
Old 04-27-14, 01:34 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
None of the above ... find a vehicle in a southern state or non-rust belt state, buy it, and drive it back to Wi - especially if you plan to keep the car for 5 years.
Haha. I can't argue with that one. Unless it was a garage queen. Southern cars are among the best.
Old 04-27-14, 02:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree a sunbelt car is optimal and I got a Texas beauty last April from a small lot in Waupaca ML with Eurosport.

However I imagine with yur budget, What is it?, driving or flying to get a car will cost ya. There is an 01 in Hartland$ with 80k which looks very clean at 11,600 been on craigslist for a while and some of these are snowbirds where they are driven sparingly all winter if at all.

Think of it 80k in 13 years and many folks are scared of these expensive cars with a few years on them. Plus less sun damage. PM me if ya need me help.
Old 04-27-14, 08:38 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

used LS430s are not that expensive to buy now, but are very expensive to service, so I would pay more for a low mileage, well taken car of car. I think in the long run this route would be less costly.

The exception would be if it has high miles and all service is completely up to date ( not a likely scenario ) or if you can get the car cheap enough and do the needed servicing yourself.

A high mileage LS that requires a lot of trips to a Lexus dealer for service would be a very expensive proposition. I'd rather buy a newer Camry than a high mileage LS
Old 04-27-14, 09:37 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

The cars are at the $8000 mark. Getting more history. Anyone want to run a couple car faxes for me? I do want to keep 5 years or more.
Old 04-28-14, 09:38 AM
430THUNDER
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.harborcityautosales.com/n...x?ClearAll=1&~
This is where I bought mine. Went and looked at this one. Ready for 5 years
Old 04-28-14, 05:50 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my UL and all the goodies that come with the package...

The OEM air is great for now, and when it starts to die, I am sure I will convert to aftermarket air and still have all my goodies.

Chances are, a non UL with that many miles could use a suspension freshen up anyways...just not quite as necessary versus possible leaking airbags
Old 04-28-14, 11:33 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

The three cars at this particular location seem to be all suffering from at least 1 accident. Some have 2. So regardless of mileage, I think I am steering clear of this guy as all 3 were called 'clean'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: choosing between ls430s.