LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Other than scheduled maintenance, what preventative maintenance do you perform?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 05:45 PM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other than scheduled maintenance, what preventative maintenance do you perform?

Hello all, brand new to CL. I tried searching but only found info regarding scheduled maintenance.

Besides the scheduled maintenance does anyone do any preventative maintenance on their 430's? I recently purchased an 02 with 87k on her. Dealer serviced every 5k, and 90k service done prior to purchase. Trying to keep this one running like new for well over 200k. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-14, 06:39 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Follow scheduled maintenance.
Do drain and refill transmission (Avoid flush if it was never done before).
Check for under-body rust and based on condition do some POR-15 treatment.
Protect paint and keep interior in good condition by detailing the car regularly.
Drive gently

That's all I can think of.
Old 04-14-14, 07:10 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Clean MAF Sensor
Clean Throttle Body Assembly
Replace Thermostat with Gasket - some dealers don't include this with the 90k service
Replace Power Steering Fluid
Replace Brake Fluid
Replace Drive Belt
Replace Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter/Front seat air filters
Drain and fill Rear Differential
Check Lower Control Arm Bushings to see if cracked - usually need to be replaced around this time.
Drain and Fill ATF - "super easy" for your '02
Check Hood Struts
Check trunk struts
Check to see if coolant was flushed out or completely drained vs. just replaced what was lost with 90k water pump service.
Check alignment
Check tires for wear etc. - makes a huge difference if they're not "good"
Check windshield for cracks etc.
Check Door /Weather Stripping
Replace Wipers

Make sure you have a wheel lock key if equipped.
Always good to have more than 1 key.

BTW, I recently purchased an 05 UL with 123k and did all these things + some.

Last edited by writes123; 04-14-14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-14-14, 07:16 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't follow maintenance programs. It it's worn or broken I fix it. Oil changes every 8K to 10K miles. Just one transmission fluid ex-change. Now 336,300 miles, runs& rides as new.
Old 04-14-14, 10:26 PM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

Bmw why do you say avoid tranny flush if not done so already?

As for everything else, I believe it has been very well maintained. Interior and exterior are in immaculate condition besides a few paint chip near front grill (rocks getting kicked up likely). Tranny fluid is fresh (not sure if it was a flush or a drain/refill--whats the difference?) Everything seems in tip top shape. Impressive for being 12 years old. My 95 LS400 that I traded in was pretty beat up on the interior but engine ran smooth. Transmission was strong but needed a while to warm up (in cold weather would not even shift into drive from a cold start)
Old 04-14-14, 11:36 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 02, and yours, just pull the transmission drain plug and get 3 quarts out.. just like an oil change(tranny pan located immediately behind the oil pan). Then refill through the tranny dip stick exactly what you took out. Use the Toyota type IV fluid.. about $6/quart. I'm doing that 4 times, once every 500 miles (first time done was 150K) then doing a single drain/fill of 3 quarts every 15K.

Flushing the tranny is like blasting liquid through it.. it's much safer to drain and refill. Lexus mechanic's have said that a tranny filter doesn't really get that dirty even at 200K, but someone else can clarify how true that is.. With your mileage, if you do regular drain/fills then your filter shouldn't get too used up.

I'd get into the routine of doing the drain/fill now and you should be good to go way past 200K miles. I"m hoping for 400K with some suspension work thrown in there.

Hey, go get that $50 grill upgrade on ebay that looks awesome... black chrome.. I have it and love it because it makes the car look much newer.
Old 04-15-14, 02:26 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, terminology gets in the way of communication. There are three types if "refreshing" the ATF:
1. Drain & refill = drain fluid and replace with the same amount. This will refresh the fluid if repeated a few times.
2. Fluid exchange = uses a machine to suck out and simultaneously replace ALL the ATF. I believe that it uses the transmission cooler lines, but an not certain of that. Downside is that it costs maybe $200.
3. Power flush = just as it says. This is the NOT RECOMMENDED procedure.
Old 04-15-14, 08:40 AM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the info. All services have been performed at the same Lexus dealership so my guess is that the transmission has not been "flushed" but rather drained and refilled. I have put some thought into the black chrome grill + emblems but my car is the blue onyx pearl (dark blue) so Im unsure how well black would look. Currently the stock grill and stock (gold) emblems are in good condition. I contacted dealer and everything that was recommended for the 90k service was completed except the water pump. Trans fluid is brand new, oil is brand new (will be doing 5k oci's w/ m1 + 90915-20004 filter), and all recommended filters have been changed, along with all parts inspected/cleaned.
Old 04-15-14, 08:53 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by writes123
Clean MAF Sensor
Clean Throttle Body Assembly
Replace Thermostat with Gasket - some dealers don't include this with the 90k service
Replace Power Steering Fluid
Replace Brake Fluid
Replace Drive Belt
Replace Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter/Front seat air filters
Drain and fill Rear Differential
Check Lower Control Arm Bushings to see if cracked - usually need to be replaced around this time.
Drain and Fill ATF - "super easy" for your '02
Check Hood Struts
Check trunk struts
Check to see if coolant was flushed out or completely drained vs. just replaced what was lost with 90k water pump service.
Check alignment
Check tires for wear etc. - makes a huge difference if they're not "good"
Check windshield for cracks etc.
Check Door /Weather Stripping
Replace Wipers

Make sure you have a wheel lock key if equipped.
Always good to have more than 1 key.

BTW, I recently purchased an 05 UL with 123k and did all these things + some.
That is a very nice pretty comprehensive list right there. I would add check battery fluid level periodically and refill with distilled water as needed. My 06 LS is still running fine on its original OEM Panasonic battery.
Old 04-15-14, 11:27 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Lexo
Thanks for all the info. All services have been performed at the same Lexus dealership so my guess is that the transmission has not been "flushed" but rather drained and refilled. I have put some thought into the black chrome grill + emblems but my car is the blue onyx pearl (dark blue) so Im unsure how well black would look. Currently the stock grill and stock (gold) emblems are in good condition. I contacted dealer and everything that was recommended for the 90k service was completed except the water pump. Trans fluid is brand new, oil is brand new (will be doing 5k oci's w/ m1 + 90915-20004 filter), and all recommended filters have been changed, along with all parts inspected/cleaned.
Water pump is key for the 90k service. I would highly recommend getting that and the coolant changed soon.
Old 04-15-14, 07:05 PM
02Lexo
Driver School Candidate

I believe the coolant was changed with 90k service. Im going to hold off on the water pump until it starts leaking or becomes problematic. 90k is a little low for a water pump to go out, I think closer to 120k is when it should be changed. I didnt pay for the 90k service so if im lucky my pump will make it to 180k at which time I can have the pump replaced with the second TB replacement and only pay labor once. Iv heard of many LS' s going over 200k on the original WP. My LS400 that I traded in had 165k on the clock with original pump and being a 95 was just shy of 20 years old.
Old 04-16-14, 06:20 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

I believe that the water pump should be changed out when the timing belt is replaced, since the parts cost is small compared with the labor cost (or your time, if you DIY). Or you could change it out every other TB since it is pretty reliable. Just be aware that it does occasionally happen that the water pump can seize and take out the TB, which will destroy our (interference) engines.

Also, there are other preventative measures that you could consider, like lubricating the steering wheel tilt & telescope gears.
The above list is very good; almost everything else is OK to be left until it breaks.

Last edited by Gene01; 04-16-14 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 02:43 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

How do you lubricate the steering wheel tilt and telescope gears? What kind of lube? Thanks.
Old 04-17-14, 04:07 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know offhand, but I am pretty sure that there is a thread giving the procedure for lubing the tilt/telescope mechanism, and if I am not mistaken it even had pictures.
I have not had great success with the standard search, but the advanced search works quite well.
Old 04-17-14, 08:03 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Other than scheduled maintenance, what preventative maintenance do you perform?