LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 07:31 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Changed my oil and filter on Sunday. I needed to do my other car and figured may as well get both done. After finishing with both cars I go inside to update the maintainence logs and find that I changed the oil/filter on the LS in late November and only had 1900 miles on it since then! Doh! I'm definitely getting old (like the LS) if I can't remember that kind of stuff! At least now they're both on the same schedule.
Old 01-31-17, 09:27 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Dumb question but how hard is the idler pulley replace? Cost? I've got an obnoxious whine which increases with engine rpm. It would be great if its the pulley (rather than alternator bearings). Not the PS. No change in while if I move the steering wheel. I'll replace the serpentine belt while I'm at it. Thanks.
It's one bolt for the idler pulley. The tensioner pulley is also one bolt (reverse thread). I have a thread with info about the pulleys and replacement part #s. If you're handy and up to it, only the bearing needs to be replaced. I'll find the thread and post for you.

Last edited by Tom57; 01-31-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 09:38 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Dumb question but how hard is the idler pulley replace? Cost? I've got an obnoxious whine which increases with engine rpm. It would be great if its the pulley (rather than alternator bearings). Not the PS. No change in while if I move the steering wheel. I'll replace the serpentine belt while I'm at it. Thanks.
Here's my complete summary for the idler and tensioner pulleys (and bearings):

Idler Pulley & Bearing:

The current Lexus catalog idler pulley replacement is a Dayco brand (#89154). Apparently, the same idler pulley is used in 2nd Gen ('95 - '97) LS - (shared Lexus part #16604-0F010 with 2nd & 3rd Gen LS). (Gates pulley #36026 same). The Dayco pulley is available online for the low $40's. The idler pulley lists for $63 + tax/shipping at Lexus.

The original idler pulley bearing in the '01 is NSK #BD20-15DUL. Bearing size: 37 mm O.D. x 12 mm I.D. x 15 mm width. This bearing size is not generally available (anymore). In fact, the Dayco (#89154) replacement pulley has a different bearing than the original > #6203RS, and a different size, 17 mm I.D. x 12 mm width. The newer replacement pulley bearing also has flange bushings installed on each side of the 6203 RS bearing to bring the final dimensions of the bearing with bushings to 12 mm I.D. x 15 mm width (equal to OE sizes). Problem: the original pulley bearing may not have the flange bushings that you'd need to re-use if you were going to replace just the bearing. Check the idler pulley bearing to see if it has flange bushings. If it does, you could order a replacement bearing and install it with the bushings.

Tensioner Pulley & Bearing:

Tensioner pulley replacement in 3rd Gen LS is Lexus #16603-0W030 (Dayco #89006). Websites incorrectly show Dayco #89026 as the replacement tensioner pulley - the #89026 pulley is not correct - doesn't fit.

The correct Dayco #89006 pulley with high-quality bearing is available online for as low as +/- $15. This is far better than buying a whole new Lexus tensioner pulley ($67), or worse, the tensioner pulley and bracket assembly at Lexus for list price of $70 + tax/shipping.

You only need a new bearing in the original tensioner pulley. (You don't need a new bracket, nor do you need the new steel portion of the pulley.) Bearing in the original tensioner pulley is NTN brand #6203LU. Bearing size: 40 mm O.D. x 17 mm I.D. x 12 mm width. This is a very common bearing used in many auto engine applications. It is widely available, but you get what you pay for. Find brand name, Japanese-made bearings like NTN, Naichi, etc. - all are high quality, OE equivalent. Expect to pay around $10 online for a high-quality replacement bearing for this pulley. Install the new bearing in the OE pulley.

NOTE: Be sure that the tensioner assembly spring is operating correctly before you repair/replace only the tensioner pulley. The tensioner must operate correctly so as to not put undue torque on the alternator and/or A/C pulley bearings and/or timing belt.
Old 01-31-17, 01:06 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Good information on the pulleys Tom, thanks. I figured that you had this posted on a previous thread somewhere and it turns out to be rather lengthy. Note: from the 1st and 2nd gen forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-numbers.html
Old 01-31-17, 01:17 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Yes, rather than post the link to the long thread, I simply posted the relevant portions of my summary from post #77 in that thread, the link you posted. (There's also another thread in the 3rd Gen forum where I posted same -- can't put my finger on it -- didn't want to provide the link to the 1st / 2nd Gen LS forum which could lead to confusion.)

Last edited by Tom57; 01-31-17 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 10:19 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I put these on this morning before heading to the office. Really like how flush they lay and less cabin noise or at least it seems so far.

Old 02-01-17, 09:13 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
It's one bolt for the idler pulley. The tensioner pulley is also one bolt (reverse thread). I have a thread with info about the pulleys and replacement part #s. If you're handy and up to it, only the bearing needs to be replaced. I'll find the thread and post for you.
That would be great. Local garage said 165 to replace which is ridiculous.
Old 02-01-17, 09:36 AM
FEBE3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a chance to take a nice photo of Status
Old 02-01-17, 06:05 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I went back to the car wash and asked if they found my door handle caps....the guys were cool and said those are so small, they would likely go down the grates....but one of the dudes goes, "I'm really sorry about that, man." Funny, you only work here, no need to be sorry, it's the car's fault. Anyway they've got 'em trained for good customer service. I don't think their equipment is ruining cars, I've gone through 5X this winter now, so my car should be getting worse and worse and swirl o matic parish....if it were the case.
Old 02-02-17, 06:34 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Made an appointment for an oil change at a different dealership here in Milwaukee. Figured I'd try out Lexus of North Shore and see how they compare to the other dealership I go to, Lexus of Brookfield. My life is so exciting...
Old 02-02-17, 06:35 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I put these on this morning before heading to the office. Really like how flush they lay and less cabin noise or at least it seems so far.
Looks good. I like that they don't protrude very far from the car.
Old 02-02-17, 06:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Made an appointment for an oil change at a different dealership here in Milwaukee. Figured I'd try out Lexus of North Shore and see how they compare to the other dealership I go to, Lexus of Brookfield. My life is so exciting...
hahahahahahaha but I know where you're coming from. The oil I would do myself, but when my BMW had free maintenance, I would make it a point to try different dealerships. I must have been to over 10. For the most part, they're all bad. They don't have that "Lexus" treat you like a human mentality, but they do give you a car so you never have to stay long. The most interesting car I probably got (and there have been over 35 I bet) was a 335d. Must have also gotten about 5 brand new 0 mile cars, which I always treated like my own. If I were in charge of BMWs service organization, probably my number one mandate would be to make eye contact with customers. The second would probably be to say hello to customers when they arrive.
Old 02-02-17, 06:41 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I went back to the car wash and asked if they found my door handle caps....the guys were cool and said those are so small, they would likely go down the grates....but one of the dudes goes, "I'm really sorry about that, man." Funny, you only work here, no need to be sorry, it's the car's fault. Anyway they've got 'em trained for good customer service. I don't think their equipment is ruining cars, I've gone through 5X this winter now, so my car should be getting worse and worse and swirl o matic parish....if it were the case.
The door handle caps are very easy to replace. You can buy the new escutcheon to match your paint code, and carefully remove/pry the plastic cap. It has one small plastic protrusions that inserts into the door handle. Apply outdoor glue to the area around the small hole in the door handle and on the plastic protrusion of the new cap. Push on and let dry. It works. Saves time and hassle of having to remove inner door assembly and bolting the new cap onto the door handle.

Last edited by Tom57; 02-02-17 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnhav430 (02-02-17)
Old 02-02-17, 06:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
The door handle caps are very easy to replace. You can buy the new escutcheon to match your paint code, and carefully remove/pry the plastic cap. It has two small plastic protrusions that insert into the door handle. Apply outdoor glue to the area around the small holes in the door handle and on the plastic protrusions of the new cap. Push on and let dry. It works. Saves time and hassle of having to remove inner door assembly and bolting the new cap onto the door handle.
Thanks Tom, I have the p/n's for my paint code 072...I'm gonna bite the bullet and "pretend" it didn't cost over $50 (even at 31% off list)...but I'll likely wait until I stop going to the car wash, i.e. after winter.

Would the originals have used any glue? does it rely on tension from the pin going through the hole? oh....do you mean it actually bolts, so the plastic was broken from force?? This means that they could very well be tight, but a blunt force in the right direction breaks them off.....which is why nobody finds them to be loose...but there have been posts where they were gone, where one fella found one in his garage...
Old 02-02-17, 07:44 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Thanks Tom, I have the p/n's for my paint code 072...I'm gonna bite the bullet and "pretend" it didn't cost over $50 (even at 31% off list)...but I'll likely wait until I stop going to the car wash, i.e. after winter.

Would the originals have used any glue? does it rely on tension from the pin going through the hole? oh....do you mean it actually bolts, so the plastic was broken from force?? This means that they could very well be tight, but a blunt force in the right direction breaks them off.....which is why nobody finds them to be loose...but there have been posts where they were gone, where one fella found one in his garage...
The originals do not use glue. There is one extruded plastic pin on the back of the color-coded cap that inserts into the small hole of the chrome handle plug, and a small rectangular clip on the outer edge. It does rely on tension from the plastic pin being inserted into the chrome plug hole. Using outdoor glue assures that it's fastened. The complete handle plug assembly (plastic colored cap attached to the chrome handle cover) has one bolt (from the rear) holding it to the full door handle. (See attached p. 75-38 step #22 shows the handle cap bolt removal.) The plastic piece could get ripped off from car wash brushes getting caught between the plastic and the chrome handle plug. It wouldn't take much to pop it off. The plastic caps don't get loose; they're snapped on (and off).

Example: The part number for the driver's side rear "plug sub-assembly" (as Lexus calls it) is: 69208-50010. (Part cost less than $20 with my dealer discount).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 Rear Door.pdf (312.8 KB, 75 views)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?