LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 06:33 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Gave the car it's first oil change under my ownership. Now I can feel like the car is truly mine. Normally I would have done it after picking up the car but the business that I purchased it from had just changed it so I waited the typical 5000 miles. While I was underneath there I looked around for anything that might be amiss and I did find a plastic cover/guard that runs on either side of the driveshaft was broken right in the area where one of the flange nuts secures it to the body. This left the front portion of the cover loose and might have been the source for some occasional noise while driving. Repaired it by pulling off the nut and sticking in an over-sized washer to hold it down.

Other than that, the car is in very nice shape underneath considering it has spent its whole life in the rust belt area. Other than some surface cracks in the main lower control arm bushings, the suspension is solid. Didn't find any leaks by the output shaft seal. Figured I might do some drain and refills of the transmission later this summer but I wasn't able to easily see where the fill plug is located. I'll have to dig up some of the threads around here to see where it is. (BTW, its an 04)...
Old 02-14-17, 06:54 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drove her to N. Orleans

Owned "Serenity" for about a month now.
Left SPI for New Orleans loaded for Bear. The bride does not travel light.

Man... What a machine. Typically abhorant behavior on the freeways thru Planet Houston and beyond.

So many nice surprises.

1. Brakes. She stops and does so without being squeamish.

2. 75 to light speed. I've driven a few quick cars. While not the crazy snapiest... Amazing with a full pedal mash. Probably dropped into third.... Instant by anything in the way. Dang quick for a sedan, even faster than a few cvpi's I've been around.

3. Everything the bride wanted in for the ride fit.

4. Unreal perfect audio system. Measured with cal mic and at anything approaching a normal listening dB level... Spot on. All speakers are reformed where I found any little flaw. FYI.
​​​​​​​
Just a great frigging car.....
Love the dang thing.... Cept for the nav.... Rot gut there. Really bogus. Phone is the only way to go.... Looking into the vais treatment.

​​​​​​​Doug k

Last edited by ltd76gold; 02-14-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 12:03 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Hit a raccoon outside College Park. Fat f--ker cracked the right side of my front bumper. But it gets worse, the next night while just driving on I-95 to vent my anger, the cracked part of the bumper comes flying off and becomes lost in the highway void. (FYI for anyone who see's a chunk of gold on the side of I-95N from College Park to Baltimore, that's the missing piece). Foglight backing and wiring is now all exposed.
So now I have to go to a body shop, get an estimate, and then save up to have the bumper replaced and painted. A friend of mine is recommending me to a place he went to, up in Columbia, when he got his Chevy t-boned. The guy did 5 layers to match it, so I'm excited to see how this goes...

...and for that raccoon, I hope it's f--king dead!!

! ! ! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE ! ! !
While driving to my friends house to hang, I slammed a curb and burst my front right tire (The front right of my car has had a rough life) and had to replace it, thank god Lexus gives us full size spares or else I'd be outta luck. However, if I bust another tire (I'm betting its the back right) then I'm screwed.

On the good side, I washed my LS430, vacuumed the interior, and cleaned out the gloveboxes and organized them. So uh... Things are.... "alright" I guess?
Old 02-22-17, 08:53 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I got the new wheels and summer tires mounted/balanced for my 2001, so when the "winter" weather we're experiencing is done, I can mount them and get the snows off the car.
Old 02-22-17, 09:59 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Here's my complete summary for the idler and tensioner pulleys (and bearings):

Idler Pulley & Bearing:

The current Lexus catalog idler pulley replacement is a Dayco brand (#89154). Apparently, the same idler pulley is used in 2nd Gen ('95 - '97) LS - (shared Lexus part #16604-0F010 with 2nd & 3rd Gen LS). (Gates pulley #36026 same). The Dayco pulley is available online for the low $40's. The idler pulley lists for $63 + tax/shipping at Lexus.

The original idler pulley bearing in the '01 is NSK #BD20-15DUL. Bearing size: 37 mm O.D. x 12 mm I.D. x 15 mm width. This bearing size is not generally available (anymore). In fact, the Dayco (#89154) replacement pulley has a different bearing than the original > #6203RS, and a different size, 17 mm I.D. x 12 mm width. The newer replacement pulley bearing also has flange bushings installed on each side of the 6203 RS bearing to bring the final dimensions of the bearing with bushings to 12 mm I.D. x 15 mm width (equal to OE sizes). Problem: the original pulley bearing may not have the flange bushings that you'd need to re-use if you were going to replace just the bearing. Check the idler pulley bearing to see if it has flange bushings. If it does, you could order a replacement bearing and install it with the bushings.

Tensioner Pulley & Bearing:

Tensioner pulley replacement in 3rd Gen LS is Lexus #16603-0W030 (Dayco #89006). Websites incorrectly show Dayco #89026 as the replacement tensioner pulley - the #89026 pulley is not correct - doesn't fit.

The correct Dayco #89006 pulley with high-quality bearing is available online for as low as +/- $15. This is far better than buying a whole new Lexus tensioner pulley ($67), or worse, the tensioner pulley and bracket assembly at Lexus for list price of $70 + tax/shipping.

You only need a new bearing in the original tensioner pulley. (You don't need a new bracket, nor do you need the new steel portion of the pulley.) Bearing in the original tensioner pulley is NTN brand #6203LU. Bearing size: 40 mm O.D. x 17 mm I.D. x 12 mm width. This is a very common bearing used in many auto engine applications. It is widely available, but you get what you pay for. Find brand name, Japanese-made bearings like NTN, Naichi, etc. - all are high quality, OE equivalent. Expect to pay around $10 online for a high-quality replacement bearing for this pulley. Install the new bearing in the OE pulley.

NOTE: Be sure that the tensioner assembly spring is operating correctly before you repair/replace only the tensioner pulley. The tensioner must operate correctly so as to not put undue torque on the alternator and/or A/C pulley bearings and/or timing belt.
Sorry about my slow response. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-23-17, 08:55 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I had my front brake pads and rotors replaced today. We also cleaned the throttle body and installed a new MAF sensor. At first it idled high but then it settled down after an hour or so. Amazing power and throttle response now! My car has 163k miles and I don't think the TB was ever cleaned. We did the MAF just because it was so easy and thought better off to go for a new part vs cleaning it. Very happy with the results. It doesn't feel so sluggish at all anymore. Here I was doing all these fuel injector cleaners and they did nothing. This was the fix to restore power!
Old 02-24-17, 05:39 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Order new Subwoofer after trying to fix with silicone sealant, also ordered new front door speakers. (Seether has a new single and a new album on the way...must prepare!). Also ordered 'white' fog light bulbs, trunk struts and a full set of drilled and slotted rotors with matching pads. I had window tint installed last week.

3 weeks into owning this car, and I am amazed at the engineering and assembly quality.

Wishlist includes a set of wheels and tires and tanabe springs. Then I'll be done. Just want to personalize, but not try to make a luxury sedan into a sports cars. I like stealth mode...

I have found this forum to be very helpful and any questions I need answers to, can be found with a search. Glad to be here and don't miss my Mercedes at all! Thanks for allowing me into your community.

Best,

Rick
Old 02-24-17, 05:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Good deal, Rick! I've been buying CDs again because of the 6 CD changer. I know this is an old way to do things, but I think to myself hey, CD is better quality than mp3 anyway. I'm even planning on getting some new releases of Jerry Garcia Band and the Dead coming up in March...

I have wondered if my car thinks that strange tunes are being played, never heard before by its Mark Levinson?

Grateful Dead, Neil Young, The Band, Bob Weir, NPR, Clapton, and on and on. I wonder what the m.o. was of the original owner back in October 2005? He did get the sat radio....I guarantee he did not listen to the tunes I listen to
Old 02-24-17, 06:05 AM
enigma25
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder that, too!! Since mine was owned by an older lady, I'm sure this is new vibrations in the cabin. I love some Dead, and Gov't Mule! My musical tastes are very eccentric and there isn't much I don't like. Forgot to add, I purchased an FM transmitter for a temporary solution to being able to listen to my music library on the iPhone. I am glad I saved CD's and I am rediscovering some old classics I forgot about!

Are you going to attempt an auxiliary input in the future? I have been looking into it and there seems to be several ways to approach it. I just want it hidden and reversible.

Last thing; I had to remove a cell phone antennae from my car when I bought it!! It still had the wire under the headliner and all!! Haven't seen one of those in a long time!!

Be well - time to work!

Rick
Old 02-24-17, 06:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma25
I wonder that, too!! Since mine was owned by an older lady, I'm sure this is new vibrations in the cabin. I love some Dead, and Gov't Mule! My musical tastes are very eccentric and there isn't much I don't like. Forgot to add, I purchased an FM transmitter for a temporary solution to being able to listen to my music library on the iPhone. I am glad I saved CD's and I am rediscovering some old classics I forgot about!

Are you going to attempt an auxiliary input in the future? I have been looking into it and there seems to be several ways to approach it. I just want it hidden and reversible.

Last thing; I had to remove a cell phone antennae from my car when I bought it!! It still had the wire under the headliner and all!! Haven't seen one of those in a long time!!

Be well - time to work!

Rick
Actually no on the input...but what I would like to do eventually is front and rear dash cams. I pass through Philly daily and I'm starting to realize, at a certain price point, it's worth it to avoid he said/she said. Especially rolling stops the way people do around here, or cars blowing lights, if one of those cars ever clipped someone else, they're gone.

So for the rear cam, it would need a hard wire, maybe front too......not yet but someday......hey have a good day at work at least it's Fri.! (though I have toddler duties while the wife goes out with her friends tonight)

https://www.costco.com/DR650S-2CH-Tw...100135079.html
The following users liked this post:
enigma25 (02-24-17)
Old 03-23-17, 08:44 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Looked at the 10 day forecast and saw that there is no snow predicted which puts me into the first week of April. So I went out and replaced the snow tires with the summer tires again. Will need to address a slow leak in one of the tires and I'm beginning to wonder if one of the front tires has a slight separated tread as it pulls slightly to the right. Snow tires did not do that...
Old 03-24-17, 04:13 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Looked at the 10 day forecast and saw that there is no snow predicted which puts me into the first week of April. So I went out and replaced the snow tires with the summer tires again.
Yeah, it's about that time again isn't it. Along with the tires, I've got my LCA rear bushings, Centric rotors/pads and engine mounts to change. Also got my VAIS unit in the mail yesterday and will install ASAP. Can't wait to have Bluetooth in the car... It'll be like a new car when I'm done!
Old 03-24-17, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Looked at the 10 day forecast and saw that there is no snow predicted which puts me into the first week of April. So I went out and replaced the snow tires with the summer tires again. Will need to address a slow leak in one of the tires and I'm beginning to wonder if one of the front tires has a slight separated tread as it pulls slightly to the right. Snow tires did not do that...
This is my situation, I got about 1 legitimate use of the brand new Xice 3's this past season--such a waste and I want to get them off the car asap. At the same time, they're designed for 40k.

My cousin just gave us VIP 14th row center tix to Paw Patrol and meet and greet with hors d'oeuvres (can you believe it, not a misprint, Paw Patrol--these are reserved for his high net worth clients so we'll have to act rich when we get there, usually ask my wife to pretend she is a nanny so I look richer), this makes it impossible for me to change the oil, so it will go another week with the red triangle. I'm not sure if I can get the tires done early AM tomorrow or not, but I'll try....Rydanz Roaster 02's baby!
Old 03-24-17, 06:30 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My cousin just gave us VIP 14th row center tix to Paw Patrol and meet and greet with hors d'oeuvres (can you believe it, not a misprint, Paw Patrol
Isn't that a kids show on Disney or something?

Same here with the tires. The General Altimax Arctics I have on the '01 are good for 40F but it's been reaching the 50's the last few days. Not really the best on the rubber when you're doing 140 miles/day...

Why don't you just reset the oil change reminder for another 1200 miles, and reset the warning? If you don't know how to reset it, there are tutorials on here AND in the owners manual. It's got to be better than driving around with that warning glaring you in the face.
Old 03-24-17, 06:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Isn't that a kids show on Disney or something?

Same here with the tires. The General Altimax Arctics I have on the '01 are good for 40F but it's been reaching the 50's the last few days. Not really the best on the rubber when you're doing 140 miles/day...
My buddy who has teens said, "I have to be honest, I don't know what Paw Patrol is." I just think it's funny how times have changed....I would have never guessed that rich people would be interested in such a thing for their kids, I mean it's at Madison Square Garden....and for real, my wife has been mistaken for a nanny before when bringing our son to one of those pay to play places in town...she was offended, I laughed....

With a 40k warranty (I don't know how that can be verified seeing as snow tires don't spend 100% of the time on the car), it implies they last longer than the old days....this is shameful but I'll put it out there, I think my BMW went about 15 miles or so on the snow tires this season. How smart is it to have to lift the car on all 4 corners, and take the wheels on and off? I just didn't plan it well, but I plan on taking that car out more often. One problem is our driveway and a single car garage, very inconvenient with 4 cars....

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?