LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you do to your LS430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 06:20 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

We've been away for the holidays, and noticed my son left the rear vanity down. Toddlers!

well, she started up fine so drove around 10 min (not that it was enough to charge the battery)...
Old 01-03-17, 01:33 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been on the road since the 31st, just got home and the Yeti started first pop as usual. It is so much damn nicer to drive than the worn out old Mitsubishi Montero Sport I've been driving. That clunky old 2.8L diesel really wears you down after 600 hundred miles
Old 01-03-17, 04:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scootymad
I've been on the road since the 31st, just got home and the Yeti started first pop as usual. It is so much damn nicer to drive than the worn out old Mitsubishi Montero Sport I've been driving. That clunky old 2.8L diesel really wears you down after 600 hundred miles
haha me and my buddy have this thing for diesels, even though neither of us have ever owned one. Prolly goes back to his dad coming home with used MBs...a 300 SDL I think was our favorite. Problem is here in the states diesel was consistently on par with super, and sometimes more. My sis in law got a 2014 Passat TDI and not only was it involved with the scandal, it actually has required lots of warranty work, the last being that adblue thing. She's doing the buyback and getting a A4. I did hear Cruze or something has a diesel coming? The one that I did have on loan was a monster, 335d, over 400 lbs. ft. and was doing around 1800 rpm on the highway....
Old 01-03-17, 02:30 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha me and my buddy have this thing for diesels, even though neither of us have ever owned one. Prolly goes back to his dad coming home with used MBs...a 300 SDL I think was our favorite. Problem is here in the states diesel was consistently on par with super, and sometimes more. My sis in law got a 2014 Passat TDI and not only was it involved with the scandal, it actually has required lots of warranty work, the last being that adblue thing. She's doing the buyback and getting a A4. I did hear Cruze or something has a diesel coming? The one that I did have on loan was a monster, 335d, over 400 lbs. ft. and was doing around 1800 rpm on the highway....

The Cruze (Holden Cruze that is, still the same GM-made abomination of a car) already comes with a diesel option here, 2L turbo diesel, its actually faster than the 1.4 turbo and the 1.8. The old man has had Mazda B series utes (sorry, pickups) for at least 15 years, the latest one is a 3.2L 5 cylinder torque monster, but its already had a transmission replaced at 59,900 miles under warranty (60,000 mile warranty here). I too have a slight fetish for oil burners, was seriously considering a 1VD-FTV V8 diesel swap out of a Landcruiser into the LS. 479lb-ft is more than enough to cause major upsets
Old 01-03-17, 07:16 PM
PURDY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed the alignment of my vehicle, had it set at negative 7 degrees in the rear, changed it to negative 2. Because my tires were wearing out so fast!
Old 01-04-17, 09:45 PM
Genofish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my front hood struts, mine died in the cold of Colorado. I replaced them with factory struts and it took about 20 minutes. very easy job. The interesting thing was when I ordered O.E.M. replacements, the left and right side had different part numbers. The ones I took off had the same part number on both sides. All were made by the same manufacturer.
Old 01-05-17, 05:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Genofish
I replaced my front hood struts, mine died in the cold of Colorado. I replaced them with factory struts and it took about 20 minutes. very easy job. The interesting thing was when I ordered O.E.M. replacements, the left and right side had different part numbers. The ones I took off had the same part number on both sides. All were made by the same manufacturer.
It wasn't that easy for me, if you can believe that. From memory, the originals do not pop off the ball joints, and so, the ball joints have to be removed and replaced. Easier to remove, harder to line up and screw the new ball joints in while extending the struts (do not strip the threads, dunno what would remedy if that happened). The originals were made by Tokico and clearly much higher quality than the aftermarkets I installed. The trunks were easy. Not looking forward to doing this again, although, SNAP!! The new ones will pop off so no need to take the ball joints off the hood.
Old 01-05-17, 01:59 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
(do not strip the threads, dunno what would remedy if that happened).
Easy, Helicoils usually does the trick there
Old 01-06-17, 12:16 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Did a quick coolant change today. Checked it today after forgetting to check it a while back when it pissed a heap of coolant onto the burnout pad and whoops, there wasn't a whole lot in there. Dumped out what was left in the core and the block, chucked the garden hose through it and put some new green Nulon (Australian made) coolant with some Redline Water Wetter which supposedly brings overall running temps down, so should be helpful on the pad. Also decided to get some video of the exhaust note.

Old 01-07-17, 07:07 AM
svlexus
Driver

I had a p0430 code indicating a bad cat. Today I installed a right angle o2 sensor extender, passed emissions.
Old 01-07-17, 07:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by svlexus
I had a p0430 code indicating a bad cat. Today I installed a right angle o2 sensor extender, passed emissions.
Cool, what is that, and at what mileage did you get the code?

Me I took the LS to the gym and as the cliche goes, there wasn't even a single parking spot, and this is a huge facility. When I was backing out, a minivan guy left me almost no space to leave. He was trying to make sure nobody else took the space from him. Kind of an ugly scene, like a few days before xmas at a mall.

about to take the toddler out to the play place, and it's snowing...finally the Xices are being put to use!! And the car is encrusted in salt, too bad, I hope my front doors don't rust out. I'm contemplating buying a monthly pass to a car wash....but it would add 12 miles to my commute (DOH)
Old 01-09-17, 07:08 AM
FEBE3000
Driver School Candidate

Default Air bag setup

Finally got around to mocking up the air setup me and another member of the forum are doing for my 2006 ls430
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS430 today?-feb1.jpg  
Old 01-10-17, 01:05 PM
svlexus
Driver

ls is rust resistant, I got a ding down to the primer years ago and you cant tell it didnt just happen.
Old 01-10-17, 01:42 PM
FEBE3000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by svlexus
ls is rust resistant, I got a ding down to the primer years ago and you cant tell it didnt just happen.
yea its rust resistant its just raw in color
Old 01-22-17, 02:21 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Gave her a much needed wash to get some of the winter crud off of her. Don't know how long she will stay clean but at least I feel better...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?