jbonez89
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you upgrade the maps??
Old 11-20-16, 10:24 PM
jbonez89
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the grom audio to play music from my phone and im having a charging problem so i bought the bluetooth adsptor so it doesnt cut in n out (connection)
Old 11-21-16, 02:31 AM
OsideTurbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbonez89
The maps on your factory navigation? You call your Lexus dealer service/parts dept. and ask for a current navigation DVD. They cost about $150 and you can do the labor yourself - you just need to pull back the panel on the inside of your trunk passenger side and put the new DVD in the nav DVD player that is hidden back there. You can find videos on youtube that walk you through it.

But, if you already use google maps on your phone - you'll probably be disappointed. The Lexus nav can't compete with real-time traffic and re-routing that google has - not to mention your lexus is using 10+ yr-old hardware that is getting dated. But if the car nav is fine for your purposes or if you want it as a back-up, the DVDs are easy to get.
Old 11-21-16, 04:05 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by jbonez89
Check out this link on how you change out the navigation disc. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html
Old 11-21-16, 05:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I used it to haul away a bench. The trunk easily swallowed it and the metal frame/legs.

Name:  trunk_zpspsnxlson.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  217.5 KB

Now I can see why Tony Soprano liked the LS. "$3000!" "HMO, you're covered!" That show cracked me up.....

Old 11-21-16, 11:58 AM
amusing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

150k on 2004 LS last week. The sound of the rad fans at idle alerted me to investigate under the hood: found the radiator had developed a crack below the neck puking out about a gallon of coolant. The tell tale spots of coolant nearby. Radiator and t-belt Aisin kit with iridium spark plugs and an air filter arrived quickly thanks to Rock Auto. Yesterday the project finished and included cleaning MAF sensor, PCV, throttle body intake air valve and idle valve components, installation of new iridium Denso plugs, wix air filter, accessory drive belt, idler and tensioner pulleys, and the timing belt. I added foam surrounding the condenser and new radiator. My preference is to service and maintain all of my autos to the best of my abilities which always includes a thorough engine bay degreasing ...DIY project success!! And so glad I caught this radiator issue before damage.
Old 11-29-16, 06:20 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Had to get the car (LS430) smog checked for the annual registration. What a racket that is.... Every other year in California but heard in Massachusetts they have to do something every year. And then there are those of you that do not have to do a thing!!!!
Old 11-29-16, 06:45 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duck05
Had to get the car (LS430) smog checked for the annual registration. What a racket that is.... Every other year in California but heard in Massachusetts they have to do something every year. And then there are those of you that do not have to do a thing!!!!
. PA is done by shops annually. $39.95 coupon ends up $55 at a muffler shop but they are snooping around. BMW dealer charges $68, provides loaner. Toyota $80 and a crowded waiting area. Hmmmm, racket lol.
Old 12-01-16, 01:56 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Finished up the maintenance duties last week after changing the spark plugs, air filter and A/C filter. I'm set for awhile now. Also replaced the foam surround on the front passenger door speaker. Pulled both rear door speakers expecting to have to replace the foam on those but they were in immaculate shape. Makes me wonder if they had different vendors making those speakers as the front and rear speakers do have different part numbers.

I also purchased a J2534 OBDII interface adapter from a Chinese supplier through eBay. Spent the better part of the day trying to load the firmware drivers for the device without much luck. After some investigation I discovered that the FT232RL chips inside the device were programmed to a product ID of 0000 when it should have been programmed to 6001. Found a nifty programming utility from the manufacturer of the chips and reprogrammed the device so it identified itself properly and now I appear to have a working Techstream computer.

I'm going to have to browse through all of the available programmable features of this car but the first thing I turned off was the extra swipe of the windshield wipers after using the washers. Too bad they don't give you the option of controlling how many swipes of the wiper occur after you release the washer button. I think 3 is too many and two would be just right...
Old 12-01-16, 02:41 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Got the 01' detailed at the dealership. Had a complimentary detail owed to me, so I took advantage of it before the snow comes. Car looks great!
Old 12-03-16, 10:52 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

First snowfall of the season is finally headed our way so I mounted my new Blizzak winter tires on the car. Also went and fished out a small broken piece of plastic from the front passenger door panel. It seems that someone went ape at some point in time when they pulled out the side pocket on that door and broke a little piece off. So every once in a while I would hear a small buzzing sound. I'm hoping that cures that problem...
Old 12-04-16, 04:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Put the Michelin x ice xi3's on. Was able to see the dealer put antiseize on the front rotors as I requested when they replaced them.....now that's integrity....

edit: rear rotors are rusted badly on the hats...imho it's a shame that shops use these cheap parts. Since they are fine, they may be on the car for years....

Name:  DSC_0603_zpsti5q5ozz.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  401.1 KB

Last edited by Johnhav430; 12-04-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 04:47 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
First snowfall of the season is finally headed our way so I mounted my new Blizzak winter tires on the car. ..
Yup.. Winter has finally reared it's ugly head.. I just ordered a set of Michelin X-ice Xi3 ties for the 2005 and a set of General Altimax Arctics for the 2001. The Generals are made by Continental... Apparently..
I'm getting them installed next week.
I drove home from Chicago yesterday during that snowstorm and I was white-knuckling it the whole time. Those Yokohamas on my 2001 are fine in the summer, but I ain't going through a winter with em again.
Old 12-06-16, 02:10 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Put the Michelin x ice xi3's on. Was able to see the dealer put antiseize on the front rotors as I requested when they replaced them.....now that's integrity....

edit: rear rotors are rusted badly on the hats...imho it's a shame that shops use these cheap parts. Since they are fine, they may be on the car for years....

When in doubt, use a bigger hammer. I needed a 4lb lump hammer and lots of swinging space to "persuade" a set of rear rotors off a Ford Falcon
Old 12-06-16, 03:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scootymad
When in doubt, use a bigger hammer. I needed a 4lb lump hammer and lots of swinging space to "persuade" a set of rear rotors off a Ford Falcon
. Gotcha....what I meant here is I dislike the appearance of the rusted hats, they totally show with the rims for the snows....and the pads are pretty new, so if I were to replace, with Oem, it'd be all for looks....though I admit we hit my wife's SUV really hard and they would not budge....

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS430 today?