LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stainless steel brake lines...anybody noticed a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 11:34 AM
sshu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless steel brake lines...anybody noticed a difference?

I have recently started driving a 02 LS430. I noticed that the brakes feel spongy. I don't know if this is typical of the LS or if something is wrong because it doesn't feel as good as our Q7.

From my searching on the forums it could be that I need to flush the lines which I intend to do. I was thinking if I should just do the stainless steel brake lines also. It seems like people have heard that it helps but i haven't found any threads on people who have actually done it on an LS that have noticed an improvement from the stock hoses. Also if I was to buy them, where should I get them from?
Old 04-10-14, 03:24 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I put them on my '02 UL. They are a "nice to" as opposed to a "need to" change. My brake fluid was turning black quickly and I suspected some contamination. I flushed the entire system throughly and replaced the brake lines. Pedal is firmer and the car stops with less pressure. In addition, it seems to come to a stop in less time. My fluid is still the color of light cooking oil and braking is improved. I am pleased.

I used Stop-Tech lines that cost about $50 a set and are available widely. I think I got mine from Autoanything.
Old 04-18-14, 09:01 PM
Coustic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgretchko
I put them on my '02 UL. They are a "nice to" as opposed to a "need to" change. My brake fluid was turning black quickly and I suspected some contamination. I flushed the entire system throughly and replaced the brake lines. Pedal is firmer and the car stops with less pressure. In addition, it seems to come to a stop in less time. My fluid is still the color of light cooking oil and braking is improved. I am pleased.

I used Stop-Tech lines that cost about $50 a set and are available widely. I think I got mine from Autoanything.
Do you mean $50 for all 4? If so i really want a link!
Old 04-19-14, 04:59 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes on my 2002 feel spongy as well. I have it checked over by my Toyota dealer and an independent shop. Neither could find anything wrong so I'm thinking that's just the way these brakes are. I posted a thread on this and the concensus was that spongy brakes are not "normal" However after having 2 differerent shops check it out I have decided to leave it alone. I have seen some posts that say that the steel lines do help.Keep us posted.
Old 04-19-14, 07:29 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

... again.... it's a sticky piston+deteriorated brake hoses... use cylinder repair kits and new hoses. discussed tons of times.
no need to get fancy stoptechs, which are 50usd per ONE (or two) only.
Old 04-20-14, 06:44 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I think Lynzoid is correct. While there was no need for stainless steel over regular hoses, I wanted to try them. For about $50 a set, $100 for all four, the price was reasonable. If I was going to the trouble of changing the hoses, it seemed worthwhile to try for a small upgrade in braking performance. While there is a difference, it is minor.

In addition, it is a process of elimination. If braking performance is good with light and lean fluid, their is no need to rebuild the cylinders. If the braking performance deteriorates and/or the fluid turns dark, the cylinders will be rebuilt.
Old 04-20-14, 08:08 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Usually "spongey" brakes mean there's air trapped in the lines, the air acts like a spring.

This a great tool to own for bleeding brakes:

I own one and the last car I did, I was amazed at the difference. It was night and day, brakes almost stopped too quickly. Haven't felt I needed it for my LS yet, but it makes bleeding your brakes an easy one man operation.

I'd probably start with that before upgrading the hoses. If you buy aftermarket stainless brake lines, just make sure they're quality ones and not Chinese junk from Ebay.