LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Michelin Premier A/S replacing MXV4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 02:08 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have conti contacts on my 014 Touareg, got em with Cayenne rims off Craigs(basically same platform) Been great tire for the past 6 months and even at 6/32 pretty decent in snow. Good luck I think both Pirelli and Conti have become better tires. Now I don't feel bad about the future proration of my Pilot A/S 3 on my LS.

Do they give ya money back or towards Michelins? Thanks Tommy for the update.
Old 02-06-16, 05:13 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
tom,whats the tread depth on a new one?
Jim, Premier tread depth new is 8.5/32nds.
Old 02-06-16, 05:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have conti contacts on my 014 Touareg, got em with Cayenne rims off Craigs(basically same platform) Been great tire for the past 6 months and even at 6/32 pretty decent in snow. Good luck I think both Pirelli and Conti have become better tires. Now I don't feel bad about the future proration of my Pilot A/S 3 on my LS.

Do they give ya money back or towards Michelins? Thanks Tommy for the update.
The Conti Contacts are warranted for 90K miles. Tread depth new is 11/32nds.

Discount Tire gave a large credit on the Premiers toward the new Conti's. I'd be happy to get 60K miles on the Conti's. If the Premiers on my two LS's wear fast, I'll be probably be into Pirelli's. Thanks Warm.
Old 02-07-16, 05:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

What is the longest tires have lasted on the Sienna? It's AWD?
Old 02-08-16, 03:19 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

FWD, Lav. The Sienna tends to be harder on tires, so it's only one data point of comparison on the Michelin Premiers. Virtually all of the tire reviews on the tire websites are written shortly after the tires are installed; few analytical, careful reviews regarding tread wear after tens of thousands of miles. That’s why I asked for tread depth reports from CL - Premier tire owners who have some mileage on them.

The "longest other tires have lasted on the Sienna" is a question that really helps to emphasize my point regarding initial (i.e. when new) tire tread depth. For example, the Michelin "Harmony" (also now discontinued) had 11/32 initial tread depth and an 80K mile manufacturer's warranty. Similar to the now discontinued Primacy which had a 10/32 initial tread depth, the Michelin "Harmony" was replaced with the "Defender" which has a 10/32 initial tread depth. Next, the Premier was introduced with a 8.5/32 initial tread depth. Clearly, the trend with Michelin is reduced and shallow initial tread depth with its so-called "new and improved" Premier tire. Dropping from 11/32 to 10/32 then 8.5/32 initial tread depth is significant to the longevity (mileage) of the tire. Think the reduced initial tread depth is driven by material cost savings for Michelin - i.e. less rubber per tire? The profit motive does come first.

While initial tread depth is important, final tread depth is too - that is, what is the tread depth when you feel the need to replace the tires. Michelin's tread wear warranty is calculated based on the expectation that the tires will be driven down to the wear bars = 2/32nds. If you’re driving on tires all the way down to that tread depth, you’d be risking a whole lot even on dry pavement. Most of us don’t wait until 2/32nds is remaining on the tread depth to replace tires. (See http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/....jsp?techid=51)

With the Michelin Harmony and Defender tires on the Sienna, the initial tread depth was 11 and 10/32nds, respectively. I typically replaced them at a tread depth of no less than 4/32nds, and mileage was in the 40K+ miles range. On the Premiers with initial (reduced) tread depth at 8.5/32nds, I drove them to 3/32nds (with a mild winter) – beyond my typical final tread depth – with mileage of 22K miles. With the Premiers, that’s what you have to be prepared to do though (drive ‘til the tread depth is down to 2-3/32/nds), since if you replace the Premiers with 4/32nds tread depth remaining, you’re only using 4.5/32nds of tread depth (8.5 initial minus 4/32nds = 4.5/32nds) and the Michelin tread wear warranty won’t apply, or it will be significantly reduced. In addition to premature tread wear, safety is another reason why I’m now hesitant with the Premiers. The Premiers are marketed as “safe when new, safe when worn.” I don’t want to be the test case for determining whether the tire is “safe when worn” all the way down to 2/32nds tread depth.
Old 02-08-16, 03:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Your concern is understandable but Michelin hardly lies about its products. When consumer reports consistently rates them as the top tire manufacturer it's a good bet they will perform as advertised. It is kind of crazy the Sienna eats tires this quickly. I can't kill my MXV4's. I thought I would be replacing them over a year ago.
Old 02-08-16, 04:13 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Consumer Reports is fine for many products, even some tire characteristics. But to represent or imply that all Michelin tires are top notch devalues the integrity of CR. Has CR evaluated the Premier? CR dispelled myths about tire mileage claims - proving that tire manufacturers (including Michelin) do embellish tread wear / mileage, and the priciest tire isn't the best tire.

The Michelin MXV4s are the gold standard for mileage / longevity. I put 300K+ miles on 4 different sets. I had over 70K miles on 17" Primacys that I replaced over the summer. The Premiers will never come close to that - unless, perhaps, if you choose to drive them down to 2/32nds tread depth.

It'll be interesting to get data from others as their mileage on Premiers gets into the 30K mile range, and how much tread depth remains.
Old 02-08-16, 05:31 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Here is an article I just found:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ears/index.htm
Old 02-08-16, 05:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Here is another article. Kind of find it odd the P4's are recommended and not the P7's. Oops looks like the 2nd link is a bit old.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ires/index.htm

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-08-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-09-16, 09:58 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just let em go Lav......its ok. Michelin will eventually bounce back. You dont have to stay loyal and spend the bucks when there are better products out there. You can always come back to your beloved michelins...they will take u back with open arms.....go get ya some Toyo's
Old 02-09-16, 12:10 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

What are you talking about JPV? Michelins are at the top of Consumer Reports ratings year after year. If anything, I think you just need to come to terms with this...

Although, we will concede the P7's are well rated and Pirelli has improved. 4th place is not too shabby.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-09-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-09-16, 01:21 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

that's too old 2012. the 2016 rates Pirelli over Michelin, but no review on Primiers. compare to exaltos, whatever those are.... defenders are for accords and camreys
Old 02-09-16, 01:56 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Over 3 year-old publication ... Primacy (now discontinued) MXV4 tops the chart. Premier wasn't offered then.
Old 02-09-16, 05:27 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Lav.....my friend......I just want to tease you a bit. I am quite sure the Pirelli P7 H rated are on the consumer reports under performance all season tires are rated #2 and your brand is #3. I have shown you that chart before.....u must have misplaced it
Here is the current chart
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s-overview.htm

Not sure if that link will work or not.

Anyway....my only serious point is this....no matter how many negative posts and threads come out every day about Michelins....and even the Premiers.... I dont understand why it is impossible for you to say that any are possibly true.......Its like you have a block of some kind that simply wont allow it to be true. Tom has real world numbers on the tire......and the CL member that just came and drove my car with P7s said the Premiers were far louder then the P7s...and he said quote " I cant even hear the tires " and that he wouldnt even consider Premiers for his 2 LS430's again in the future. He said it wasnt even close! Crap....I am probably pushing your buttons.....I know you have said you want P7s for your sports car and that your not raggin' on the tire........I just someday want to hear you accept anything negative said about a Michelin tire. Assuming it is fact and true of course.
I hope I didnt just poke a sleeping bear.
Old 02-09-16, 06:21 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

After finding out the P7's in the size for my WRX have only a 240 tread rating these are no longer in the picture. With this tire life I will go with UHP tire. Honestly, they were probably being sold so cheaply for a reason.

Tom's litany about a Sienna, which eats tires every 20k miles, is hardly relevant. If anything, the consumer reports article on the benefits the Premiers stopping distance is fantastic.
Especially for wet traction. I'm definitely a fan of Michelins all around ability to provide the best tires in the world. They have consistently produced the best tires out there and I will stick with them as they have proven themselves time and time again. If they don't last as long as the mxv4's so be it. Their performance is clearly outstanding. I have no problem sacrificing a bit of tire noise for the added safety benefit of this new tire design.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-09-16 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Premier A/S replacing MXV4