LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bought wife GS430 - would like to replicate handling somewhat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 11:06 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bought wife GS430 - would like to replicate handling somewhat.

I bought an '02 GS430 for my wife, and the way it handles reminds me quite a bit of my '02 M5. It has a good weight to the steering, and feels more solid on the road than the floaty LS. I can push it into a turn and the roll is very minimal, yet the car is still very very smooth and supple. Really, the best of both worlds.

The downside is that I'm 6' 6" and all torso, so I don't fit in the GS, and I like so much of the quality and features of the LS. Ideally, I'd like to transfer over the handling characteristics of the GS to the LS.

I realize the LS430 is about 300lb more than the GS430, and taller, so it'll never quite be the same. That said, what would be the best approach to achieving the handling of the GS in the LS, without a rougher ride than the stock GS?

I'm aware of the sports suspension, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical that the difference would be nearly that significant. I'm sure sway bars play a fairly significant role, but I don't see that there are any options other than the OEM sport sway, which may be good value, but also too small of a difference for these goals.

I have no need to lower or slam the car, unless slightly lowering it is necessary for the above handling goals. I actually have 20's on the car now that came with it that I'm replacing with factory 18's, as their harshness makes the ride even less pleasant than the GS.

Thanks, all!
Old 04-01-14, 05:43 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put some antiroll bars like Ultra Racing or sport package sway bars.

I have put Ultra Racing antiroll bars on my LS and the handling is more sporty. I'm going to get the others bars from Ultra Racing.

Denis.
Old 04-01-14, 08:23 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by denIS200
Put some antiroll bars like Ultra Racing or sport package sway bars.

I have put Ultra Racing antiroll bars on my LS and the handling is more sporty. I'm going to get the others bars from Ultra Racing.

Denis.
Did you have the stock suspension before you added the UR sway bars? Link to the product you added?
Old 04-01-14, 08:34 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Did you have the stock suspension before you added the UR sway bars? Link to the product you added?
Yep Stock air suspension. I'm running in 2001 LS430 UL.

Front : http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING-28MM-FRONT-ANTI-BODY-ROLL-SWAY-BAR-STABILIZER-00-07-LEXUS-LS430-/181026840512?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS430&hash=item2a260a5fc0&vxp=mtr
Rear : http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING-19MM-REAR-ANTI-BODY-ROLL-SWAY-BAR-STABILIZER-00-07-LEXUS-LS430-XF30-/200849033768?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS430&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ec3890a28

Denis.
Old 04-01-14, 08:36 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Thank you kindly, sir! Could you describe for me a bit the pro's and con's? What characteristics of the car did it change? Any extra harshness during highway cruising? Any extra noise or vibration or squeeking?
Old 04-01-14, 08:41 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Thank you kindly, sir! Could you describe for me a bit the pro's and con's? What characteristics of the car did it change? Any extra harshness during highway cruising? Any extra noise or vibration or squeeking?
Nothing (no extra vibration, no extra noise, no extra squeaking). The car is more safe and the bars are greatly reduce body roll and high stability in cornering.

It's really a big difference before and after.

I have done the same thing with TRD antiroll bars on my 2001 GS300.

Denis.
Old 04-01-14, 08:58 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by denIS200
Nothing (no extra vibration, no extra noise, no extra squeaking). The car is more safe and the bars are greatly reduce body roll and high stability in cornering.

It's really a big difference before and after.

I have done the same thing with TRD antiroll bars on my 2001 GS300.

Denis.
Nice, I may have to do this. Do you have a gauge for what sort of offer they would accept with the "Best Offer" feature?

Thanks,
Old 04-01-14, 09:12 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Nice, I may have to do this. Do you have a gauge for what sort of offer they would accept with the "Best Offer" feature?

Thanks,
Sorry but I really don't know. I have bought the parts in Netherlands.

Denis.
Old 05-06-14, 12:15 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

What do people think about springs/shocks for more of a 5-series handling? I'm okay with it being slightly lowered, but I do drive long trips quite frequently with 4 adults, and I want to make sure it maintains a nice ride. It's just way too floaty at the moment.

I know a lot of people get coilovers, but I don't need to slam it. In fact, if it appeared to be stock I'd be a happy camper. I just want to improve the driving dynamics, having come from a 2002 BMW M5. I realize I'll never get to that level of handling, but the two cars weigh essentially the same, are both RWD V8s.

Last edited by Ahheck01; 05-06-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 03:28 PM
honasbone
Driver

Consider tire choice when you go back to the factory wheels. I just bought some Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires. A very comfortable and quiet tire. A cushy grand touring tire well suited for the LS 430's cabin comfort. Probably not the right tire for what you're looking for. You may wish to step up to a "high performance" or "ultra high performance" summer tire (not max or extreme summer tires mind you - those make too many comfort and tread life sacrifices). These tire categories will still have decent wet traction characteristics. And they don't completely sacrifice comfort for performance. You'll lose a bit in the comfort and road noise departments. But you'll gain more grip and a better turn in response to help in trying to mimic that GS feel.

While "floatiness" may be impacted in part by tires, it's not much. At least not in comparison to shocks. A more aggressive shock will more quickly dampen the springs back to their natural resting state after being jostled by a bump, lane change, drive way, etc. But you'll lose some cabin comfort in exchange.

I'd then go with sway bars. Lots of folks on here seem to dig the euro rear sway bar. Sounds like denIS200 has some options as well. Don't miss this one though. Relatively cheap mod for what you'll get out of it from what I understand.

I imagine if you got a slightly more aggressively tuned set of shocks (perhaps the euro suspension), the euro rear swap bar and a more aggressive set of tires you'll get closer to the GS in handling. You can also start doing bushings, but the sacrifices in comfort will likely be too great. An LS should never go *whack!* over bumps.
Old 05-06-14, 05:03 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the Euro Sport and you unlikely to ever make the LS handle even close to an M5 which I have never driven but have driven a 535 sport and the 3 series. i think you will spend alot of money to be disappointed.Your goals are too lofty.
Old 05-06-14, 05:40 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Get a Euro Sport though and leave it alone, it is decent, the best of both world certainly colored by the fact over and over again it is rated the most reliable car in it's class and on to the 460. You can have the best of both worlds but usually not best at everything. I would ld prefer to have an A8, but the unexpected costs for a nice car get old get old as you do. This week my DD did 24.mpg, sport shifting on the LS is bulletprooof and have some fun with it for what it is.

The car drives by itself, purrs like a kitty and I am still smitten after 200k miles on my second i log 35 k a year.

Or pay for a german car and enjoy every minute of it.
Old 05-06-14, 06:09 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I have the Euro Sport and you unlikely to ever make the LS handle even close to an M5 which I have never driven but have driven a 535 sport and the 3 series. i think you will spend alot of money to be disappointed.Your goals are too lofty.
What I don't entirely understand is why the LS is incapable of handling somewhat like a 2002 M5?

The LS has a wheelbase only 3.1% longer
The BMW is actually 33lb lighter
Both RWD
M5 Weight Distribution: 52 front, 48 rear
LS Weight Distribution: 53 front, 47 rear

So if you put similarly specced shocks and springs, with similar anti-roll bar strength, and they should be remarkably similar, should they not?
Old 05-06-14, 06:29 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Check out the M37 the M45 and M35 where a good first foray for infiniti more like german and reliable bur not as solid at all like the 430. I never felt I could never drive a M35 or 45 long term like the LS, never driven the new body style in the M37(has anyone?). M37, 28ish first year?
Old 05-07-14, 04:39 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Not sure either, but I have been on this forum for 5 plus years and even with the Euro Sport never heard anyone rave about the handling what ever they did to it. I think the Euro should be the base suspension but either way still a quiet, predictable, HWY cruiser that drives itself, practically.

I am sure if you dump a bunch of dough into an LS we will be all ears as to the outcome.

Quick Reply: Bought wife GS430 - would like to replicate handling somewhat.