LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bluetooth Audio and Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 09:17 AM
enermotion
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Bluetooth Audio and Navigation

So I'm the new owner of a 2005 Lexus LS430 with the luxury VIP package. It's equipped with the Mark Levinson audio system, the backup camera, and the in-dash navigation system.

I've done a TON of reading in this forum and found several helpful threads, but I'm hoping I can confirm my understanding of a few things.

1. Everything on the car as it pertains to navigation, audio, and climate control is currently bone stock. There are no issues that I'm aware of.
Noting that, I'd really like to upgrade the audio system screen for the audio system. I don't have any desire to upgrade the speakers but I'd like to have some more modern functionality - at absolute minimum, bluetooth connection to play audio. It would be awesome if I could update the navigation as well. After investigating the possibility of upgrading the navigation, it seems to be either very costly or a huge headache (possibly both) that won't result in a seamless integration -- does that sound correct as far as you all know? (Edited for clarification)

2. The best option that I see is something similar to a GROM BT3 adapter or the adapter on SC430mods.com (h/t to TarXan in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11590173), which will permit me to use bluetooth to play audio from my phone, right?

3. Are there any solid options to upgrade the screen and navigation ability? I'd love to upgrade the navigation to something that looks mostly stock, but I haven't seen any way to do so. I called a local car audio place, and they gave me a quote of $1100 to upgrade the system. However after reading through the process, I'm somewhat dubious that they'd be able to upgrade it to something resembling a stock experience.

4. I'm reading that the Mark Levinson amp and the subwoofer may be prone to dying at some point. How can I avoid this - just keep the audio down and don't blast the speakers? Is it worth pre-emptively replacing the Mark Levinson amp, or should I leave it alone until it blows?

For context, I'm the third owner of the car (but it's my second LS430). The car has been immaculately maintained. And generally, while I'm not afraid to pull some panels, run some wires, and connect a few plugs -- generally I do not want to get my hands too dirty, especially in the event of having no clean solution and no instruction manual to follow to get there.

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks so much!

Last edited by enermotion; 10-06-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-06-23, 07:16 PM
TarXan
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Lexus had navigation CDs that you could use to update the maps on the stock nav system, but they're pretty hard to find now and I think the most recent update is still 6+ years old. The android tablet I mention below would probably be the best option to get more modern functionality.

2. I know that the GROM BT3 works well on my 04 LS430. There's also an option from VAIStech, but that one's about $300. The adapter from SC430mods.com is technically for an SC430, but another user had success installing it on their 02 LS430. I don't know if the plugs on the back of stereo are the same for all years of production, so I'd email the owner and ask if he'd be willing to send you the wire harness to test fit. A few months back, I asked him if the door courtesy lights he sells work for the LS430. He sent me one to test fit, then gave me a discount on the rest of the set once I confirmed fitment.

3. HERE's a pretty long thread discussing a 10" android tablet that replaces the whole nav screen. You can also just google "Lexus LS430 10" android tablet" to find a few results from different companies. I think most of the people in that thread found their tablet on AliExpress/Alibaba since it seems to be the cheapest option. This would probably be your best option for upgrading the screen/navigation ability. There are a bunch of different versions of the tablet depending on screen resolution, RAM, storage capacity, features, etc. I personally think it looks a bit too modern compared to the rest of the interior, but I don't think there's any other option to replace the screen. I don't have any first-hand experience with these tablets, so I'd recommend going through that thread I linked.

4. I don't think it's worth replacing the amp preemptively. I seriously doubt that you could get one new after this long, and they sell for >$200 used on ebay. I wouldn't spend the money on a used amp and take the risk of it failing prematurely. And I think you need some kind of adapter to be able to use an aftermarket amp, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Also, a lot of users here buy a speaker refoam kit to prolong the life of their ML speakers, since the speaker foam degrades over time and makes the speakers rattle a little bit.

Last edited by TarXan; 10-06-23 at 07:17 PM. Reason: formatting
The following users liked this post:
enermotion (10-11-23)
Old 10-07-23, 02:52 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

The amp dying thing is rubbish I have had multiple 430's over the years and never had any issues with the amp or any electronics whatsoever.
Old 10-08-23, 06:43 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the USA Spec BT45 TOY in my 05 LS430 (perfect fit) and 03 LX470 (requires adapter harness sold by Crutchfield).
The following users liked this post:
enermotion (10-11-23)