LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus LS - power rear sunshade - a sociological study of reactions

Old 03-30-14, 12:07 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
I leave mine up most of the time. Great feature. I always fear playing with it too much will wear the motor or arms out lol.
Every time the car is put in Reverse, it goes down automatically, then it goes back up when the car is on Drive after it hits a certain speed.
Lexus thought about all these little things..

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 04-03-14, 11:35 AM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some people are sensitive to being blown off. The driver behind you may feel you are telling him "I don't want to see you." Or, "I don't want to think of you in my space, you're aggravating." etc. "You are beneath me and an annoyance."
I agree it's a huge over-read but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like that.
Old 04-03-14, 02:28 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Way too funny.... thanks for sharing... never thought about trying this, but now almost have to.
Old 04-04-14, 02:36 AM
seve7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine up, but i've been known to roll it down to give the bird to someone.
Old 04-17-14, 08:19 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Warning: conducting the rear power sunshade experiment may be bad karma, that may lead to unexpected unemployment :^)

Old 04-17-14, 11:04 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
Warning: conducting the rear power sunshade experiment may be bad karma, that may lead to unexpected unemployment :^)

So does that mean that retirees have a free pass?
Old 04-17-14, 02:41 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Retirees are immune to many things. Lol!

Old 04-17-14, 03:12 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't get it .... why are you even watching the faces of drivers behind you ??
And why would you care what they think about putting up the rear sunshade ??
Old 04-17-14, 03:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
I don't get it .... why are you even watching the faces of drivers behind you ??
And why would you care what they think about putting up the rear sunshade ??
It's just another form of communication that is otherwise unavailable under the circumstances.
Old 04-17-14, 06:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I've got limo tint so people can't see the sunshade unless they sit inside the car.

My friends think it's the coolest thing ever. They always ask why don't I get curtains for the rear until I pull the side shades up and press the rear shade to go up.
Old 04-18-14, 06:39 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, didn't read the replies but only the OP.

I think the sociology experiment lies more within YOU. I question why such an experiment need to exist in the first place, in other words what type of person goes around looking for Benzs and BMWs and intentionally illicit a reaction from people other than satisfying an illogical curiosity? Plus, what does the other driver's reaction really mean? Maybe their expression is prompted by something else entirely.

I just don't get it.
Old 04-18-14, 06:47 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I always thought it was cool, though I'm a techie person when I seen it done. I thought pretty neat. I owned an LS that had the pwr-shade too and I never realized it offended so many people. I think those who are offended or put off or insulted have some kind of insecurities or self-esteem issues. Cuz, I've had it happened to me in taffic and thought "how cool" so it depends on the person. From this thread, I can see most people out there have "Issues" LOL
Old 04-18-14, 07:33 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Sometimes, people treat their car like a cocoon; nothing going on the outside makes a difference to what they do inside the cocoon.
As explained in my first post, I hardly use the rear-shades, but discovered a possibly negative reaction that one time, which led me to investigate if that was a more common reaction than we (who observe these things) think.

I suppose the reactions we get would vary greatly on our demographic locality too. Many BMW 3-series owners here where I am; not picking on them for some "BMW" reason

I do look in the rear-view mirror at the driver behind me when I stop at stop lights, regardless of my rear-sunshades. So, a change in their reaction during the daytime is quite obvious. Can't do that on the freeway at freeway speeds for obvious reasons. But I do move out of the fast lane on the freeway, even if I was doing 80mph there, if I sense the driver behind me wants to go much faster. Because, I don't treat my car as my cocoon.

Do you guys know Corvette drivers who do the "V" sign to other Corvette drivers (even those they don't know) as they drive past them? I work(ed) with many Corvette owners...

Old 04-18-14, 11:21 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I use my rear shade if i am about to, or have already executed a jerk maneuver on the freeway. E.g., the freeway is backed up and i use the exit lane to get way ahead of it then cut over at the last second and the driver I cut in front of can't see me with shade up (i have tint too).

I also used it today after some brainless female sprayed her windshield right in front of me on the freeway after I JUST had my black LS washed a few hours prior. This is a pet peeve of mine. It is against road etiquette to spray without looking to see if anyone is behind you. Anyway, I sped up, cut her off, and deployed my sprayers heavily, pulled away and raised my privacy shade. She stayed back and got the hint.
Old 04-19-14, 09:37 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Couple of observations/comments:

1. Why would you think that the driver behind you cares or even notices that the rear sunshade on your car has moved up or down? I guarantee you nobody cares and in general nobody is watching you and your car's sunshade under most ordinary day to day conditions.

2. If you are on the freeway and following so close that your car gets hit with significant windshield spay from car in front of you - you are too close - back off. I will blast my windshield washers (assuming my car hasn't just been washed) whenever some over-aggressive D-bag is tailgating me on the freeway.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-19-14 at 09:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LS - power rear sunshade - a sociological study of reactions