LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Aftermarket rotors

Old 02-18-14, 06:47 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Aftermarket rotors

My 2001 Lexus LS430 has 113,000 miles on and has the intermittent steering wheel shutter upon braking. I had the brakes replaced with OEM and the rotors turned at 99,000 miles but the shutter has returned after 10,000 miles. It was suggested that I don't turn the rotors again as the shutter will most likely return. What after market rotors would you guys suggest? After looking at Rock Auto I see Centric,Wagner,Beck Arnley,Raybestos, etc. I'm not hard on the brakes and drive about 3--4,000 miles per year. I don't want to get taken over the coals for Lexus Rotors. What would you suggest? Thanks all.
Old 02-18-14, 07:37 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Did you replace with new rotors or you just resurfaced them? I would suggest oem rotors. Its a hit or miss with aftermarket rotors.
Old 02-18-14, 08:43 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doodoo
Did you replace with new rotors or you just resurfaced them? I would suggest oem rotors. Its a hit or miss with aftermarket rotors.
At 99,000 miles I replaced with new OEM brake pads and resurfaced the OEM rotors.
Old 02-18-14, 08:49 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a lesson for me, I went with aftermarket rotors for an Avalon and no matter how often they were resurfaced and replaced, I always had a shimmy. I ended up buying OEM after a few years and it's not pulsating anymore.
Old 02-18-14, 09:23 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexus OEM rotors are of very high quality. Many other auto OEM rotors are of inferior quality but Lexus has very good ones.
Old 02-18-14, 09:31 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced my fronts with Brembo OEM replacement rotors and stock pads.......good to go so far. They were slightly less than the OEM rotors from Sewell, but I got them the same day from my shop.
Old 02-18-14, 04:27 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I got Centric rotors from Tire Rack and they where excellent. The techs commented how nice they where compared to other non OEM. I drove that car prolly 50k miles not a shudder. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-18-14, 04:42 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure the rotor thickness before milling them. I think min thickness is 28mm and new is 30mm. Common cause of that shimmy is not always from warping, it comes from a bad bedding procedures, its very important the first 100 miles require extra care bedding the pads in. Its hard to bed the pads in without breaking the law as it requires incomplete stops the first few miles otherwise you leave a pad print/impression on the rotor surface where the pad had stopped. The bedding process is basically to spread the pad material evening across the rotor so both sides become a frictional material. What i usually end up doing the first on my past cars is dropping into neatral and the last few feet use the E brake to stop and leave foot off the brake pedal. The Hot spot caused by the stopped pad onto the fresh rotor surface leaves a print of the pad. And each time the pad makes a pass in the spot it has more friction material then the rest of the rotor causes inconsistencies.

This is a very good read for someone looking for good info on brake bedding:
http://www.centricparts.com/files/Ce...n%20Theory.pdf

Using this method carefully, i have never warped any rrotors on any of my cars in the past 9 years.

Last edited by username32; 02-18-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 04:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I had the Lexus dealer cur my rotors the first time and they pulsated. If they don't shake don't cut em. If they shake get new it is an quality car I want perfection.
Old 02-18-14, 08:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I got Centric rotors from Tire Rack and they where excellent. The techs commented how nice they where compared to other non OEM. I drove that car prolly 50k miles not a shudder. I highly recommend them.
Which Centrics did you get? There are many different stock numbers.
Old 02-18-14, 09:01 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Which Centrics did you get? There are many different stock numbers.
If you buy centric made rotors don't buy the low end ctek rotors, they have no corrosion protection, they will rust on the first day.
Old 02-19-14, 07:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I will call tomorrow and get the numbers. I remember they where the better of the 2 choices with some superior corrosion coating.
Old 02-19-14, 10:02 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I will call tomorrow and get the numbers. I remember they where the better of the 2 choices with some superior corrosion coating.
Thanks for your help.
Old 02-25-14, 03:59 PM
thehansens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought 2005 ls430 w/96,000 mi....according to the carfax the maintenance records are pretty good. Lexus say they will service and check over at my next oil change. 125$...60$ for just the oil change. Think this is a ripoff. Any suggestions.
Old 02-25-14, 04:53 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thehansens
Just bought 2005 ls430 w/96,000 mi....according to the carfax the maintenance records are pretty good. Lexus say they will service and check over at my next oil change. 125$...60$ for just the oil change. Think this is a ripoff. Any suggestions.
Congrats on the purchase. Not quite sure if you posted on the right thread though..... "aftermarket rotors"

In regards to your recent purchase, I'd say that 60 for an oil change from a lexus dealer is not outrageous and 125 for a "pre-purchase" or in your case a "post-purchase" inspection is within reason for a lexus dealer service charge.

I'd personally try to find via these forums or on yelp or via word of mouth a local independent lexus/toyota mechanic. I've mentioned in other posts that I'd do a fluid overall upon getting a new vehicle. brake, power steering, coolant, engine oil, differential, transmission. also, i'd replace the thermostat and gasket as well as clean the throttle bottle and MAF sensor.

the lexus mechanic i go to here in SoCal would do an oil change for $10-15 labor if i brought my own oil and filter. I usually change it myself but he also does a full inspection on his lift if requested. I'm not sure if this is the standard rate to be expected but i've been satisfied with the work and price.

also, each owner is a bit different when it comes to preventative maintenance. for instance, though not mentioned during my mechanic's inspection, i changed or requested him change a few things: transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, air filter, cabin air filter, coolant, drive belt, thermostat. these may not have been urgent but I did it to ensure in my mind what had been done and the quality of the materials used.

The mechanic should bring to your attention any urgent items but many preventative items would probably have to be done proactively on your part or specifically requested.

the next "major" item would be @ 120k - spark plugs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket rotors