LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

BMW refugee looking at 01-04 LS430s. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 10:10 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Thumbs up

Read my username!

It looks like you are handy with the cars so what I tell you should perfectly fit with the answer you are looking for.

Bought the car at 47K and now has 79K after 5 years
  • Did regular DIY oil, & oil filter, air filter changes with Synthetic oil - I am not going to count the cost as this is a regular maintenance
  • 60K service with a Mix of DIY and reputable Indy shop for $250 - Again regular maintenance
  • DIY serpentine belt for $28 - Again regular maintenance
  • DIY brakes and resurface rotors at a shop $150 - Again regular maintenance
  • Spent total of $1200 on wheel/hub/ issues (created by me) with one of my wheels - You should ignore this as this is not a problem with the car itself
  • Pirelli Tires worn off prematurely - Going with Michelin now. Nothing to do with the car but should account for the expenses.
  • Mirror adjustment failed - Used $5 electronics cleaner to fix it
  • Folding mirrors stopped working - DIY opened mirror and disconnected a wire to stop folding operation - $0 for me but mirror replacement will cost you $1K or so for each mirror
  • Sub-woofer blew up shortly after owning the car - $3 fix with silicon glue and then just recently DIY replaced with a $90 sub
  • Driver door actuator failed - $5 DC motor fix and 2 hours of time. Dealer will cost $1K+
  • Telescopic steering wheel started giving grinding noise. I don't know what it take to fix it but I had my Indy shop disable telescopic function for free
  • If you buy one with Air Suspension then that is something to account for if it fails. I don't have one but others reported $1300 or so for going back to stock or 900 per strut if replaced with original air

I loved the 00 740iL but even after after spending $3K, emission problems were still there and mechanic just gave up. I would have kept it but emissions certification is a must here. I was even looking to replace it with 745Li but I am glad I didn't.

All in all I am very happy with the switch from BMW to Lexus!!
Old 03-22-14, 10:20 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by L8RSk8R
Just went thru all my receipts.

Purchased new 2006 Ultra, currently w/ 330,000 miles.
46 oil changes.
$25K in maintenance. Not counting labor I've performed myself (2 X Airstruts & Brake work)
$3100/year.

Also went thru receipts for my 2011 Town Car. Current has 227,000 miles. $4,600 in maintenance, since Nov 2011.
So what I am reading is that LS430 cost you 7.5 cents/mile and Town Car cost you 2 cents/mile for maintenance. That is impressive for a Lincoln. I once rented a Town Car and I still remember how plush the seats were.
I wonder on what items you spent $25K for LS
Old 03-22-14, 12:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Your definitely wrong on this one. The 460's, while still an excellent car, have suffered more problems than the 430. Not to mention that parts are much more expensive vs the 430. Also, the 430s have proven themselves with many high mileage vehicles still going strong. There is a reason why ls400 and 430s are the Lexus mechanics choice majority of the time.
I wasn't wrong about anything. I was only passing along information. My friend Ben has been in the Lexus repair business either as a service writer or with his own Lexus specializing repair shop since near the beginning and I pay attention to what he says. Maybe he would have been kinder to LS430 if an LS430 owner was involved in our impromptu discussion which included only LS400 and LS460 owners.
Old 03-22-14, 12:31 PM
L8RSk8R
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

3 Air struts at dealership $3,600 I also installed 2 used shocks $500 (free labor)
2 windshields $470
1 radiator $622
3 timing belts $3200
Tires/balance/alignments/rotations $ 5900
Brakes $2900
Oils/fluids/trans/diff service $4000 +/-
Miscellaneous stuff - wheel bearings, tie rods, bulbs, plugs, cabin/seat filters, oil pan, belts & hoses $4,000 +/-
Old 03-22-14, 01:20 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
The owner of the independent Lexus repair shop that has maintained our Lexus vehicles since 1997 and who I have known since the early 1990's when he was a service writer for the local Lexus dealer told me a few weeks ago that, at similar mileages and ages from new, the LS460 has been substantially more reliable than the LS430.

Don't dump on me - I'm just passing on what he said.
I had no idea about the 460 issues until I started hearing things here on club lexus,,I decided to spend some time in the 460 section and you can tell right away they are not enjoying the same trouble free bulletproof reliability.

Aside from the normal break downs and maintenenace they have had serious engine and tranny issues , even had factory recalls on engines and other things.

Its a shame because now I don't really have any Lexus to look forward too buying, aside from maybe an 04-06 430.

Your mechanic was probably just giving you his experience.
Old 03-22-14, 02:02 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The owner of the independent Lexus repair shop that has maintained our Lexus vehicles since 1997 and who I have known since the early 1990's when he was a service writer for the local Lexus dealer told me a few weeks ago that, at similar mileages and ages from new, the LS460 has been substantially more reliable than the LS430.

Don't dump on me - I'm just passing on what he said.
Very interesting observation by your Lexus mechanic. If he says LS460 is more reliable based on his experience I wonder if his view is primarily based on direct anecdotal observation (what he works on) or he has access to hard numbers and stats on reliability comparisons. Either way its a good data point.

My experience is that somehow the LS460s has developed a rep of being less reliable than the LS430, this being what I have heard from multiple sources including several Lexus employees, However that is all purely anecdotal, I have never seen any objective cold hard data to prove or disprove.
Old 03-22-14, 02:04 PM
ARFNSX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am in the right spot seeing how I am in the same position as most. just sold my e39 which was absolutely gorgeous but I was on my second time replacing my coolant system in 4 years ($1800) and I was done. I put the car up for sale and someone purchased it from me 3 days later.

Anyway I just purchased an 03 LS430 with 70k on it. When I use to be a valet parker, the LS430 was my favorite and most smooth car on the market.

It is a great car to add to my garage. I still have 2 other BMWs but one is simple to work on (e36 m3) and my other one is under warranty.
Old 03-22-14, 02:25 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

01 with 93k miles. one of the side mirrors doesn't adjust. serpentine belt squealed. trunk strut went bad. And thats it in the 13 yrs of ownership. Maintained very carefully but not wastefully.
YOu sound like a DIYer..in which case you will find the LS amazingly easy to work on.
oh forgot, daughter blew a fuse on the cig lighter port charging her iphone.
thats it in all these years.
In truth, the LS is right up there with most of the premium Toyota/Lexus products assembled in Japan...the Land Cruiser is another example of outstanding engineering. Had one of those that I beat regularly in the deserts of Dubai and it never stumbled, 120k miles plus.
Old 03-22-14, 02:31 PM
SkipABeat
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bought my 2004 (no navi nor air susp) in 2008 with less than 10k miles and imported the car to Ontario. Car now has close to 45k miles.

I do all oil changes myself using Mobil1 and Toyota OEM filter every 5k miles. Did timing belt and water pump last year for peace of mind.

Only problem is the AFS system. The light came on about two years ago. I took the rear sensor out and cleaned the rod that connects to the axle. It was rusty and caked full of mud. I sprayed Corrosion X liberally on all pivoting points, and the problem has not come back. The rust will eventually win though. The rear driver side door had a rust spot that the Lexus dealer fixed using a brand new OE skin.

Other than regular maintenance and changing to snow tires every winter the car has been trouble free. I have no problems with the handling this snowy winter I may add. My only worry is when the day comes to replace it I hope I can find and afford the replacement. The car has spoiled me.
Old 03-22-14, 02:35 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I wasn't wrong about anything. I was only passing along information. My friend Ben has been in the Lexus repair business either as a service writer or with his own Lexus specializing repair shop since near the beginning and I pay attention to what he says. Maybe he would have been kinder to LS430 if an LS430 owner was involved in our impromptu discussion which included only LS400 and LS460 owners.
The service manager at my Lexus dealership told me a month ago, that the 04-06 LS430's are the most reliable vehicles that they service. Maybe he just said that because I own a 2006 LS 430. LOL.
Old 03-22-14, 03:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When I took my second 430 in to the dealer to roadforce balance the tires before I even bought the car, I told the seller I would pony up the dough myself as it was the only concern I had of the car, the lead tech told me "if you are happy with the 430 keep it" and elaborated saying the 460 was not as reliable and also harder to work on than the LS. Now JD and others still rate the 460 very reliable but the valve springs, wind noise I know have been issues to note. But these where early problems I believe.

They roadforced it and gave me a complete rundown on the car for free, including a pinpoint nick from what I assume was a stone on the windshield(I dought I could find it now). They test drove it to see how the vibration was and gave it a clean bill of health.
Old 03-22-14, 04:06 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

01 UL. Bought with 84k in September of 2008 now with 114k with almost 6 years of ownership.
Repairs:
Two top O2 sensors $400
Radiator $600
Valve cover gaskets $650 at the dealer
Speakers, sub $200 (aftermarket sub, used original speakers)
Tranny oil pan reseal, clutch seal $65
Steering rack bushings $250
Front lower, rear arm bushings $200 (with alignment)
Both engine and tranny mounts $300
Hood supports $40
4 new rotors and pads: $400
Complete suspension change from air to steel springs and shocks $1300
And regular synthetic oil changes, tires, brake pads, timing belt and water pump with all seals and tensioner ($1200), spark plugs ($170).
All prices include labor, all dealer parts except rotors.
Overall very happy with the car.

Last edited by yuri.ber; 03-22-14 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 04:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Considering most 460's are CPOs or still under warranty an independent shop is not going to see these cars. They will go to the dealer. I've been to a various dealers and all have agreed that the 430 is more reliable then the 460. It's pretty obvious looking at the 460 section as well. Anyway, back on the subject at hand... LOL
Old 03-22-14, 05:10 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I sold my E38 (740iL) not that long ago and I currently daily drive an E65

its a no brainer... The Lexus (ANY Lexus) is more reliable than the 7 series

not bashing the 7 ( I LOVE mine) but its a play 2 play car
Old 03-22-14, 11:40 PM
MrCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
I sold my E38 (740iL) not that long ago and I currently daily drive an E65

its a no brainer... The Lexus (ANY Lexus) is more reliable than the 7 series

not bashing the 7 ( I LOVE mine) but its a play 2 play car
Ha, fancy seeing you around here! Still have the E31?

I'll be back in a 7 for sure, but in an Euro 2001 750, but only in late 2016 when I can ship them over!

And even then, it's going to be a weekend fun car type of deal. They are completely unreliable lol

Quick Reply: BMW refugee looking at 01-04 LS430s. Need opinions.