help!! all speakers stopped working, intermittently start working

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 10:07 PM
natjenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! all speakers stopped working, intermittently start working

2002 LS430

My speakers have stopped working. The radio stations register on the NAV screen but when I look at changing the speaker output (balance for example), the screen just shows the blank template....the speakers just don't register.

At times, they begin working again. This can happen when I start the car or it could be in the middle of a drive. It does not seem to be affected by the temperature....I've started the car in below zero weather before and the radio has come on. I've also gone days at a time in warmer temps without a radio. When the speakers work, they do register on the NAV screen.

Anyone have any ideas of what I'm up against and costs associated with it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-14, 06:06 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Could be your Amp starting to go. I tend to have this same issue but, only when it's really cold out (under 10F) but, it's very random, after leting the car warm up (drive for about 5-10 min), I shut the car off and restart it and it works fine most of the time.

Not sure on the costs but, You could check ebay for a replacement amp depending if you have the ML system or not.
Old 03-18-14, 02:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Could be your Amp starting to go. I tend to have this same issue but, only when it's really cold out (under 10F) but, it's very random, after leting the car warm up (drive for about 5-10 min), I shut the car off and restart it and it works fine most of the time.

Not sure on the costs but, You could check ebay for a replacement amp depending if you have the ML system or not.
I'm not sure that in the last 4 years of my LS430 ownership I read many posts of our amps that stop working unless.......the owner's do a speaker replacement with non OEM speakers. Is it common for the amps to fail due to age or sub par quality? The reason I ask is, I have a proven and reliable 01 LS ML with Nav for 4 years that I am planning on biting the bullet with a new OEM ML subwoofer (refoamed the original and got 4 years out of it) and don't want to go that route if the super expensive amp is also an issue. I haven't read that many posts of failed amps but a zillion posts on crappy subwoofers.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-18-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 05:53 PM
natjenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if there was any replacements...I bought this about a year and a half ago and was the 2nd owner. I will check into the amp cost and see what I find out.

Any other input would be great as well.

Thx!
Old 03-18-14, 08:29 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone dissected one of these stupidly priced amps to see which components usually fail? It has to be a capacitor or resistor that can be easily replaced with a cheap part and a little solder...