LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Great MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 01:40 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

That's really awesome, Lav. I assume A/C was "On." Knowing how weight affects performance, were you the only passenger? Do you drive with your spare tire? (Sounds crazy, I know.) (No truck drafting or hypermiling.) That is truly top mpg.
Old 06-29-15, 01:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
That's really awesome, Lav. I assume A/C was "On." Knowing how weight affects performance, were you the only passenger? Do you drive with your spare tire? (Sounds crazy, I know.) (No truck drafting or hypermiling.) That is truly top mpg.
I was the only passenger. Spare in the trunk but no other weight really. AC and radio on. It's pretty hot down here. I'm blown away too. No real headwind in either direction helps for sure.

I have tried truck drafting in the past and really saw no benefit. Maybe a tiny bit but it's dangerous and since I like to use my laser cruise it keeps you 4 or 5 car lengths back at its minimum setting.
Old 06-29-15, 02:25 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I was the only passenger. Spare in the trunk but no other weight really. AC and radio on. It's pretty hot down here. I'm blown away too. No real headwind in either direction helps for sure.

I have tried truck drafting in the past and really saw no benefit. Maybe a tiny bit but it's dangerous and since I like to use my laser cruise it keeps you 4 or 5 car lengths back at its minimum setting.
* Truck drafting at 4 - 5 car lengths is too far behind anyway to get any draft effect, and may actually be worse on mileage.

* I don't typically use my laser cruise (only normal cruise) in my Custom Lux. The way folks drive around these parts (accelerating, cutting you off, then putting brakes on), the laser cruise would be constantly slowing down and creating another gap for the next guy to cut you off.
Old 06-29-15, 02:50 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I did not use the cruise when I tried drafting. That's what I mean by being a bit dangerous following so closely behind a truck to get the bennefit. It makes me uncomfortable even with excellent brakes.

I feel you about the laser cruise and people cutting you off. I have become pretty good at turning it off when I see someone about to cut me off. I do, in general, think drivers are a bit more curteous down here then up north but this is changing as the normal idea of southern hospitality is not very relevant anymore.
Old 07-03-15, 06:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Set a personal record tonight guys. I know I sound like I am beating a dead horse but I want to share this because I really believe your cars are also capable of this fantastic mileage too. Something carbon related was blown out or cleared from running the Dura Lube severe fuel system cleaner every 5k miles (maybe 4 or 5 bottles so far) and she is running smother and gets better mileage then I have seen since I purchased the car 3 years ago. Either that or she is just getting broken in. I don't know how else to explain it. I have not changed anything in the vehicle besides a front alignment recently. Of course you all know my opinion about replacing your engine temp sensor as well. It's cheap and easy.

Wind was not a factor as you can see in the attached image. Tonight I drove my usual route from visiting my brother in Newnan, GA back to my home in Atlanta. 35 miles from the gas station through stop and go traffic for about 2 - 3 miles to the onramp and 32 or so to my exit about a mile away from my house. The only difference was not using the AC tonight as it was only 77 degrees outside. No hypermiling, no drafting, nothing like that. I find that right at 70 mph is the sweet spot. Imagine on a long trip getting 600 miles out of a tank of gas! City mileage is what it is but the highway mileage capability of the 430 is fantastic. I'm am consistently getting 5 - 7 more mpg then the car is rated at.

Suggestions if you are not getting at least 25 mpg on the highway:

Clean your maf and TB
Replace your engine temp sensor
Run the Dura Lube system cleaner like I do every 5k miles
Run premium fuel and keep your tires at least 33 - 35 psi
Replace your plugs if you are over 100k miles
Consider replacing both upstream / pre-cat O2 sensors if not already replaced.
Run synthetic oil and there really is no need to change the oil until 7500 miles or so.

Highway Average:

Tank Average:

Miles since refuel:

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-03-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 04:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

This is interesting. My normal route from Newman to Atlanta or 35 miles. This time I loaded up 588 lbs in my trunk. 588 lbs of laminate flooring. It was left over from a project my brother had and I'm using it for a project of my own.

Anyway, still got 29.3 highway mpg and it was 97 degrees outside. I was expecting to lose at least 2 mpg. Although my tank average was a bit lower at 27.8 I think the extra weight aftects city mileage more then highway.

One thing I really love about the UL is the air suspension pumping up the rear end. When I loaded up the flooring the rear end sunk low. After turning on the car the height sensors tigger and raise it back up to normal height. This is the most weight I have ever put into the trunk so it was cool to see it work so well. I attached a few pics. Look at the height difference between when I unloaded the flooring and when I turned car back on. Almost 3 inches.

Old 07-11-15, 05:04 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I appreciate any and all info on this Forum. I've been a member since 2006. I drive my 2001 LS430 with 120,000 miles practically 98% City driving. I might have checked a few times and am averaging about 13-14 mpg. The plugs are original to the best of my knowledge. The car idles and accelerates as a new car. This car is the most comfortable and reliable car I've ever owned. Mileage does not matter to me as the tradeoff of the great and comfortable ride is what is important to me. I believe I have gotten well into the 20s when I did a few long trips. Then again, even a Lincoln Town Car will get in the 20s on a long straight run at 55 mpg. For me, mileage is not a factor for owning such a reliable luxury car..
Old 07-11-15, 07:02 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I agree Boca. These cars are by far the most comfortable and reliable I have owned. I just enjoy tinkering and trying to squeeze every every bit of performance / efficiency out of mine as possible. Right at 1800 - 2000 rpms is the sweet spot on my 04, which on the 6 speed is 70 mph. My mpg goes down if I slow down to 55 mph.

I'm also impressed that even with the weight she rarely needs to drop down to 5th gear to maintain speed up a hill. I'm starting to slow down a bit on the highway and it's amazing how much this is putting money back into my pocket. I used to lead the pack and be paranoid about getting a ticket. Now I'm relaxing and watching others get pulled over. What's wrong with me. I'm only 36 and I'm already driving like my grandparents... Lol

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-11-15 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 07:44 AM
aqbill
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smiles per Miles

My 2006 LS430 UL does not, quite, do as well mileage-wise as its predecessor - a 2004 Audi A6 CVT - but the LS is sweet in all categories. Not a hyper-miler but a light foot has yielded impressive mileage. Best I've done for a long highway trip from Chicago to Knoxville provided 30.0 mpg (calculated) and have had numerous 29 mpg+ highway trips. One year's mileage average was 25.6 mpg (calculated). I always use premium gas, keep good tires at 34 psi, keep up with maintenance, cruise at 70 mph on interstates and, as I said, use a light foot but certainly keep up with traffic. On the other end of the spectrum I usually average 18-20 in the city and worst mileage - cold weather, short trips and stop-and-go driving - was in a 14 and 15 mpg range.

Can't say enough about this great vehicle. I always enjoy it from the moment I step in it and look forward to the next drive. It just does it all!

AQBill