LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus vs. Toyota Dealer for maintenance (quality vs cost)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 07:01 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lexus vs. Toyota Dealer for maintenance (quality vs cost)

I have recently purchased a meticulously cared for 01 LS430 with 120k. It was owned by an older couple and all work was done at a Lexus dealer every 5k miles. It is due for an oil change and I'd like to get an alignment done for a slight right pull. Lexus dealer quoted $119 for a full synthetic oil change and $129 for an alignment. The Toyota dealer across the street from them can do the oil change for $83 (full synth) and $89 for the alignment. What should I do? I'm not wealthy like this older couple and would love to continue the service through Lexus but am trying to keep costs down. Can Toyota dealers reliably work on these cars without screwing something up? I'd love to hear some of your experiences. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-14, 07:10 PM
bootnylee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those services are minor..you will be fine

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-12-14, 08:16 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For about 60.00 you can get 5 quarts of royal purple and the oversized motorcraft fl400s filter and you'll have a much higher quality oil change than anything coming out of the drum at the dealership at 80 bucks or more and have the satisfaction knowing you did it yourself the right way. These days the techs that do the oil changes are the lowest paid inexperienced guys in the shop. I am always afraid of them overtorqueing the filter or stripping drain bolt etc.

The one and only time I let a dealer do an oil chAnge and Inspection on my civic when I got lazy they cross threaded 2 lugs that I had to later break on the side of the road with a flat tire
Old 03-12-14, 08:40 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmore430
For about 60.00 you can get 5 quarts of royal purple and the oversized motorcraft fl400s filter and you'll have a much higher quality oil change than anything coming out of the drum at the dealership at 80 bucks or more and have the satisfaction knowing you did it yourself the right way. These days the techs that do the oil changes are the lowest paid inexperienced guys in the shop. I am always afraid of them overtorqueing the filter or stripping drain bolt etc.

The one and only time I let a dealer do an oil chAnge and Inspection on my civic when I got lazy they cross threaded 2 lugs that I had to later break on the side of the road with a flat tire
Yeah I hear you there. I hate taking my car anywhere and I can definitely do the oil change myself but alignment will have to be taken in obviously. Where do you usually buy the Motorcraft filter and Royal Purple for a good price?
Old 03-12-14, 08:51 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus and toyota are the same company so just like everything else, you are really paying for brand. I've even seen some shops across the street from each other and see the lexus tech go over to toyota for some stuff they didnt have.

Think of it like buying coffee at the supermarket. Would you buy the nice Folgers colombian roast for 5 bucks or the store brand colombian roast for 2.50 knowing very well they could have very well been processed and packaged at the same factory
Old 03-13-14, 12:04 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ben getting my LS worked on at the Yota dealer for some time. They do good work cheaper than Lexus without the drama.
Old 03-13-14, 03:20 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Toyota it is then. Thanks guys!
Old 03-13-14, 06:05 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to Toyota for all of my maintenance needs.
Old 03-13-14, 06:22 AM
1000hp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the Lexus dealer and tell them what Toyota quoted you. Tell them you want those prices or you'll take it to Toyota instead. They'll probably honor them.
Old 03-13-14, 02:49 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, check the Toyota dealer's website for service specials (coupons). My Toyota dealer honors the coupon with the LS since it is a Toyota.
Old 03-13-14, 06:12 PM
MrShirls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wondering the same thing, my problem is that there is not a Lexus dealership in the town that I live in, just a Toyota dealership... Now I have my own shop at my Used car lot with two car lifts and two guys I trust working on them. But I don't get the advantage of my services getting posted to Car Fax... And my techs are good at domestic cars but have never turned a screw on a Lexus, and they are a little scared of screwing up my car if they were to make a mistake. I just remind them that it is basically the nicest Toyota ever made. I am planning on taking my car to at least 200k before selling... What would y'all do? Is the car fax posted services worth the additional costs of the services over my guys doing it and buying materials at wholesale...
I say screw car fax.
Old 03-13-14, 06:17 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No, It ain't gonna matter if ya sell it at 200k, just keep yur own records to back up the work. I sold mine at 200k and it sat it sit on the lot for 8 months with a full Lexus history on line.
Old 03-13-14, 07:16 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

If you plan on selling the car with well over 100k down the road I wouldn't worry about it. Now the major services like transmission service, timing belt etc are great selling points down the road to show up on lexus service history but basic stuff like brakes and oil I'd let another shop take if you don't do it yourself.
Old 03-13-14, 07:22 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

You can self report services on mylexus site.
Old 03-14-14, 02:57 AM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1000hp
Call the Lexus dealer and tell them what Toyota quoted you. Tell them you want those prices or you'll take it to Toyota instead. They'll probably honor them.
I tried this already and they lowered the alignment to $99 but did not budge on the oil change price so I said thank you and cancelled my appt. Going to Toyota on Saturday lol.

Quick Reply: Lexus vs. Toyota Dealer for maintenance (quality vs cost)