LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Electric cutouts?

Old 02-12-14, 11:00 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Electric cutouts?

Guys,
Appreciate all the suggestions I got on the other thread about trying to increase the 4.3 liter V8 growl a little but more, after installing the Injen intake. Becoming greedy a bit.

After doing some research before going ahead and cutting out and deleting my resonators, because I felt really bad cutting that huge part in my car that I might regret it. Plus, I've heard that deleting the resonators is like adding an intake, just a teeny tiny bit louder. I was heading and aiming for that, but I guess I will be raising my expectations a little bit more.

So I wanna know if an electric cutout has ever been applied to an LS 430?

Do you guys think it will be personally too loud? Instead of being just a noticeable growl.

Am I gonna face any dash light issues?

All around cost for a descent electric cutout for the LS 430?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, but you guys are the professionals, no one will be able to give me a better answer. Appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 02-12-14, 11:22 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've ran electronic cut outs on a few mustangs and ls1 camaros and firebirds. Very easy to install and cost should be around 300.00. If you do it downstream of the cats and sensors there should be no codes or lights thrown. Yes it will be very loud like running no mufflers. Doubt you'll find any guys running this on an ls430 so you might be the first. I believe QTP was the brand I had good experiences with.
Old 02-12-14, 11:42 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It will be extremely loud, everyone will be looking around, but your car will probably be the last one they suspect.

I've had "hot rods" as 2nd cars that were close to open exhausts, and honestly, it gets old REALLY quick.

To each their own, but when you start getting a louder exhaust, the issue becomes the droning noise when you're cruising along. It can become incredibly fatiguing, that's why I'm always wary to mess with a factory exhaust on a daily driver. The increase in power is a rounding error.

I think less is more when it comes to exhaust, especially when it's something you drive everyday.
Old 02-12-14, 12:00 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

why not just replace the mufflers? member chrispy done it on his ls430 and it sounds pretty good.

Old 02-12-14, 02:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

tat sounds pretty nice ^^^

the open exhaust thing is not meant for these cars buddy , its going to sound like something is wrong, like it needs work or you have a hole in your mufflers.

the proper way to get a good sound is with a new muffler set up.
Old 02-12-14, 10:11 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

My brain is tossing me around here.

bmore430, I'm afraid the LS will generate a different sound, leaning more to a horrible sound rather than being awesome like the camaro's you mentioned. Just don't know.

1willy1, I see what you mean by how it is not designed for this type of car. I was imagining the sound coming out as a loud breeze and sounding very horrible. But not really sure about that point. What I really like about it is that you can open it and close it, but of course that wouldn't be helpful at all if the sound was horrible when it's opened.

What is the diameter size if I wanted to get some mufflers?
Any suggestions? Magnaflow, Borla..etc.

Will it sound great just running the new mufflers?

Man, I'm so confused. I might just run an x-pipe if I don't know more about the cut out situation.
Old 02-12-14, 11:17 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I considered doing electric cut outs but ended up doing a 2.25 inch Magnaflow X-Pipe with no resonators or mufflers to Borla 4.5 inch tips. It's definitely loud and I get a lot of weird looks from the Mercedes/Audi/BMW and the muscle car guys. It sounds similar to a Corvette/GTO but has a unique sound at the same time. I'd imagine cut outs would sound like how my car does and people tell me it's the best sounding V8 they've ever heard.

You probably don't want it that loud though. I bet if you did a 2.25 inch X-Pipe and put some resonators it shouldn't drone on too much on the inside. You also have the option of getting some nice mufflers like Chrispy did but it's hard to say how loud your car will be. He only changed the muffler yet it sounds similar to my straight piped LS but not quite as loud.

As far as mufflers go I recommend Magnaflow and Borla. You can get some good deals on Borlas and Magnaflows through Amazon. You can also get a JDM muffler like Chrispy's Junction Produce muffler or the 5Zigen Mega Fireballs. What is your budget?
Old 02-13-14, 05:43 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At idle :
1 -
2 -

At revving :

3,5" custom made stainless tubes
I have done just the rear section.

Denis.
Old 02-13-14, 09:33 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I considered doing electric cut outs but ended up doing a 2.25 inch Magnaflow X-Pipe with no resonators or mufflers to Borla 4.5 inch tips. It's definitely loud and I get a lot of weird looks from the Mercedes/Audi/BMW and the muscle car guys. It sounds similar to a Corvette/GTO but has a unique sound at the same time. I'd imagine cut outs would sound like how my car does and people tell me it's the best sounding V8 they've ever heard.

You probably don't want it that loud though. I bet if you did a 2.25 inch X-Pipe and put some resonators it shouldn't drone on too much on the inside. You also have the option of getting some nice mufflers like Chrispy did but it's hard to say how loud your car will be. He only changed the muffler yet it sounds similar to my straight piped LS but not quite as loud.

As far as mufflers go I recommend Magnaflow and Borla. You can get some good deals on Borlas and Magnaflows through Amazon. You can also get a JDM muffler like Chrispy's Junction Produce muffler or the 5Zigen Mega Fireballs. What is your budget?
Thanks for replying Kira.
You're getting my hopes up and making me excited if it's the best sounding V8! Or people might be saying that just because you are a nice person :P

Just this morning, I was thinking of only doing a 2.25 Magnaflow X-pipe, with a button powered electric cutout that I would attach behind the PWR button, so that it opens when PWR is activated.
What do ya think?

My budget will be somewhere around $500. Just because I think it's crazy to pay more.

Originally Posted by denIS200
At idle :
1 - http://youtu.be/0REJd1aeBXQ
2 - http://youtu.be/w3hPtenTWac

At revving :
http://youtu.be/u272rsiq-0k?t=7s

3,5" custom made stainless tubes
I have done just the rear section.

Denis.
I love that deep down and controlled rumble.
Maybe a cutout will sound similar?
Old 02-14-14, 05:37 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Maybe a cutout will sound similar?
I don't know, sorry.

Denis.
Old 02-15-14, 12:17 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,
I went ahead and bought the QTP oval low profile e-cutouts. I got the 2.5'', my muffler shop said it is ok and he can install it even though the main pipe for the LS430 is originally 2.25''.

I was thinking of not getting the wireless remote. Because I had in mind to insulate the button with the PWR button on the console. But I changed my mind because I didn't want to mess with the car's electricity, because that is always a difficult thing to go through and requires a lot of experience.
So I went ahead and bought the wireless remote.
It is also cool to have the remote in hand because that way you way you can control how big you want the opening to be. You can adjust it to any degree you want. So either beast mode, or small beast mode ;P

I'll be posting videos and results later on after it is installed.

Meanwhile, I thought of changing the exhaust tips. Boy the AMG and the Porsche Cayenne exhaust tips are just magnificent!!
Old 02-15-14, 12:54 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't wait to hear and see the results. Good for you trying something different.
Old 02-19-14, 04:58 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

So I just received the e/cutouts today, and will be installing them tomorrow. Can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails Electric cutouts?-img_7590.jpg   Electric cutouts?-img_9127-copy.jpg   Electric cutouts?-img_6568-copy.jpg  
Old 02-19-14, 06:21 PM
nDrew
Pole Position

Pretty awesome. I'm really excited to see and hear the results. Please let us know the total cost. I know I'm personally interested. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-14, 08:51 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nDrew
Pretty awesome. I'm really excited to see and hear the results. Please let us know the total cost. I know I'm personally interested. Thanks for sharing.
Sure I will.
The cost of the QTP Low Profile Oval cutouts was $189.xx from the SUMMITRACING.com website.
But I also added the 2 remotes with their wireless adapter for $79.xx from the same website.
Nicely, I got the package in 2 business days for free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric cutouts?