LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 vibrations while in Drive, on the brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 06:20 AM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS430 vibrations while in Drive, on the brakes.

Hello All!,

I just picked up a 2006 LS430 with 103k.

First off i love the car. Definitely a change of PACE coming from a Mazdaspeed 3.

I do have a question regarding a vibration.

I noticed the car is silky smooth in Park. Not a drop of Vibration through the cabin. I cant even tell if its on.

However, when i put it drive and I am on the brakes i feel vibrations. Nothing alarming, just that its there.

Is this the norm?
Old 02-18-14, 09:16 AM
lsdude
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried cleaning MAF and throttle body? See this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-cleaning.html
Old 02-18-14, 11:52 AM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lsdude
Have you tried cleaning MAF and throttle body? See this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-cleaning.html
Yes, I gave the MAF a cleaning. But I only left the battery unplugged for about 10 minutes. Do you think i need to leave it alot longer?
Old 02-18-14, 01:14 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

My vote would be motor mounts
Old 02-18-14, 02:41 PM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BradTank
Thanks for the input. I am going to give the MAF a proper cleaning again with a 30 minute ECU reset. I also added a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner. I usually dont believe in these things but i guess why not.

Question:

What motors mount would you recommend. From past experiences the only motor mounts ive done were upgraded 80a+ duro on my speed 3 which allowed every possible vibration into the cabin.
Old 02-18-14, 02:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Just to clarify your original post, you're getting vibrations when you are on the brakes and you are slowing the car down (while driving at speed)?
Old 02-18-14, 03:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ikhanbbb
Thanks for the input. I am going to give the MAF a proper cleaning again with a 30 minute ECU reset. I also added a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner. I usually dont believe in these things but i guess why not.

Question:

What motors mount would you recommend. From past experiences the only motor mounts ive done were upgraded 80a+ duro on my speed 3 which allowed every possible vibration into the cabin.
I would only do Lexus OEM for the motor mounts, and my advice for motor mounts was assuming you meant it was at a standstill when the vibration occurs in drive. Is that what you meant when you said "put it in drive on the brakes?"
Old 02-18-14, 03:51 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

I had this exact vibration on my 03 when I first bought it, if you search you will find my post regarding it. I got all the same suggestions you are getting now--it was none of them.

Open the hood and have someone sit in the car with their foot on the brake and the car in "D". BE VERY CAREFUL! Stand off to the passenger side so you don't get run over. Reach in and feel the engine cover, If it's the same as mine you will have found your vibration. I don't know the name of it or what exactly it does, but on the passenger side of the engine there is a black box with a vacuum tube or two (if memory serves me) coming out of it. You will see it clearly once you remove the engine cover and you can feel it vibrating.

If you are with me so far, and your car is the same as mine, you have found the issue. At this point i turned the engine cover over. You will see that in addition to the mounting posts and clips the cover also has an "eggcrate" type insulation that comes down and touches the part that is vibrating. I took a razor and cut 1/2" off the insulation so the cover no longer makes contact and the problem was solved.

When I searched for an answer to my problem I saw that many people from all across the Lexus lineup have complained about this strange vibration, so you are not alone. I have no idea why some cars do it and others don't. I checked all the mounting bolts and could find nothing loose which would cause a vibration. Again, if I touched the intake manifold at the same time it is as vibration free as my LS400. Hope this helps!

Last edited by midwest2; 02-18-14 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 05:02 PM
username32
Pole Position

That was the issue with mine as well, i replaced em and its as quiet as a church mouse.
Old 02-18-14, 05:21 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by username32
That was the issue with mine as well, i replaced em and its as quiet as a church mouse.
Did you have the same symptoms as the original post? Makes me wonder if I just put a "band aid" on mine.
Old 02-18-14, 05:25 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by midwest2
Did you have the same symptoms as the original post? Makes me wonder if I just put a "band aid" on mine.
Yep same issue. It was smooth when the engine wasn't loaded like in neutral but will vibrate through steering and floorboard/center console when in gear and idling (fully warmed up). It bugged the crap out of me since my cheap $16k Honda fit actually idled quieter and smoother then my $70k LS.
Old 02-18-14, 05:29 PM
username32
Pole Position

Look how much the rubber has compressed over the 13 years. It wasn't broken but the rubber was compressed a good 10mm.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 vibrations while in Drive, on the brakes.-img_20140116_172317.jpg  
Old 02-18-14, 06:07 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

I didn't really feel it as much as I heard the cover rattling. Maybe I should call my fix "cheap fix until you can get motor mounts changed"
Old 02-18-14, 06:11 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by midwest2
I didn't really feel it as much as I heard the cover rattling. Maybe I should call my fix "cheap fix until you can get motor mounts changed"
The thing is I didn't 'hear' anything, I could just feel the vibrations, my car didn't make any unusual noises.
Old 02-18-14, 08:00 PM
ikhanbbb
Driver School Candidate

Yep same issue. It was smooth when the engine wasn't loaded like in neutral but will vibrate through steering and floorboard/center console when in gear and idling (fully warmed up). It bugged the crap out of me since my cheap $16k Honda fit actually idled quieter and smoother then my $70k LS.
Its super smooth when its in neutral or park. its a 0/10 on a scale. As if its not even on.

When in drive, under load w/foot on brake, then i noticed some vibrations. like a 3/10

Maybe i need to lower expectation, lol after all there has to be some vibrations right?

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Just to clarify your original post, you're getting vibrations when you are on the brakes and you are slowing the car down (while driving at speed)?
No unusual vibrations during take off, cruise, or slowing down. Just in Drive w/ foot on brake.

I would only do Lexus OEM for the motor mounts, and my advice for motor mounts was assuming you meant it was at a standstill when the vibration occurs in drive. Is that what you meant when you said "put it in drive on the brakes?"
I will go for the OEM then, thanks. And yes to the vibes while in drive and on the brakes. for ex: At a stop light.

Look how much the rubber has compressed over the 13 years. It wasn't broken but the rubber was compressed a good 10mm.
That side-by-side picture truly says a lot. I so am used to a visual inspection on these rubber mounts in which you could see that it cracked, warped heavily or in cases of hydraulic filled, leaking everywhere. But most people would just pass it by and not notice.