LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-14, 08:50 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My car came with 4 smart key fobs. I think the previous owner had a problem with loosing keys. 2 will pop the trunk, 2 won't but the 2 that won't don't have the trunk logo on the fob even though it does have a 3rd button.

You are right about not using it. I also rarely take the keys out of my pocket.
Old 02-10-14, 08:53 AM
Jch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I just tested my key fob for the trunk, and it also does not open. I've had the car for 7 years and never knew this because the key fob never comes out of my pocket! I didn't even know it had a trunk release button on it.

I did run a test, locking the car, walking away and then hitting the key fob trunk button. That resulted in the trunk releasing with a response sound. I approached the car without having the key fob and found the doors to still being locked while the trunk was released.

So, I assume this design allows you to unlock the trunk as you approach the car using the key fob and allow someone nearer to the car to open the trunk.
Thanks for checking. Other than pulling the lever inside, the only way my trunk opens is to be standing next to it with the smart key and hitting the trunk release button. I think that the trunk should release when I hit the button on the fob so that anyone can open it with out hitting the trunk release button. Not sure if the trunk should pop open or just be released.
Old 02-10-14, 08:59 AM
Jch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
My car came with 4 smart key fobs. I think the previous owner had a problem with loosing keys. 2 will pop the trunk, 2 won't but the 2 that won't don't have the trunk logo on the fob even though it does have a 3rd button.

You are right about not using it. I also rarely take the keys out of my pocket.
Interesting, neither of my fobs has the trunk logo on the third button. I thought they were just worn off. Perhaps they were replaced by a previous owner and do not have that functionality. I wonder if it can be added. I would use this feature to pop the trunk from a ways away if someone was putting my golf clubs in it.
Old 02-10-14, 09:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Good question. Don't know the answer on that.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-10-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 09:41 AM
Jch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have found the answer from another forum see below:

"My trunk remote is a pain too. I recently changed the battery and that helped with the distance.
But the real problem is that the key fob design for some reason, makes it difficult for me
to reliably press and hold down the trunk release button. You have to press and hold the button
for a few seconds and when I am in a hurry, I dont always manage to do that. I have to use my thumb nail
to get it depressed all the way.

Next time you press the trunk button, look at the little LED indicator on the fob. Make sure that you
see that blinking then keep the button held until the trunk releases. If the indicator is flashing but the trunk fails to release,
then there are other problems. But I am betting its a press and hold issue. Its aggravating, thats for sure. "

It looks like you have to hold the trunk button on the fob for 3-4 seconds. I am not near my car now so I cannot test but when I hit either the lock or unlock buttons the LED indicator immediately lights and when I push the trunk button it takes a couple of seconds. I will test tonight but hope this is it.
Old 02-10-14, 10:02 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

That's a gorgeous LS. I would have killed for that combo when I was looking.
Old 02-10-14, 10:10 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

absolutely beautiful color combo.
Old 02-10-14, 11:41 AM
Jch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for comments on the color combo. I like the LS but it was the color combo that caused me to pull the trigger.

Trunk fob issue solved. I went out at lunch at held the button for about 4 seconds and it released. Not sure why it is designed that way but it works.
Old 02-10-14, 02:03 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice car and I think you got a very good price. Great condition and low miles, makes $18K a great deal... Enjoy.
Old 02-10-14, 02:12 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

On the key subject: My LS430 came with two different types of smart keys. One has the trunk emblem and one does not. The one without it the valet key and the other is the normal smart key. Just some added info in case you come across any more smart keys or you want a duplicate made by Lexus, get a normal one not a valet smart key.

BTW I too think you got a great deal. I would buy that car all day for $18K!
Old 02-10-14, 02:23 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The car initially had two master keys and a valet key.

Great looking car. I know you'll love it. How could you not, low mileage and like new!
Old 02-10-14, 02:33 PM
nDrew
Pole Position

Ugh. I am so envious lol. I have a black on black and wished I could have found a black on saddle. $18K Was a steal!
Old 02-10-14, 03:02 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I was looking at seat pads today. Nice that you can just buy whatever covers you want. Expensive but you could pretty easily switch yours out to a brand new saddle at some point if you wanted to.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...7250381E0.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-10-14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-10-14, 03:39 PM
Wheel_Man
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking about buying that car, but they didn't want to budge off of $18,500.00. 2nd owner sold it to them for only $16K!!!
Old 02-10-14, 04:09 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

SmartAccess key without trunk logo = valet key. You can lock items in the trunk (be sure to push the silver-colored lock button lower left dash too) when you have car parked in valet service.

Quick Reply: New LS430