Funny noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 03:35 PM
elid786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny noise from front end

Hi guys

Recently out of no where my front end of the ls430 has been making a noise. it starts at around 35mph and while driving to the right the noise gets louder and to the left its quieter.

It does get a little louder when driving on the motorway and when I took it to a mechanic thinking it was a wheel bearing they said they couldnt see if it was as it was all acting normal. Could it be anything else? the noise is only from driving and turning right at speeds around and above 35mph, nothing over any bumps or at any speed below that.

Also I have a VSC light on and when I did a little one of them tricks to check what it was it said diag 39, what could this be as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-14, 05:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The symptoms you describe sounds mostly like a wheel bearing. Suspensions bushings will pop, clunk, or squeak.

Code number 39 indicates that there is foreign material stuck to the tip of the left rear wheel speed sensor. This means the computer is seeing an erratic pattern or a distortion in the wheel speed sensor pattern coming from that sensor.
Or the sensor has totally failed.
Old 02-08-14, 11:17 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

When a wheel bearing goes bad, in addition to sound, the speed sensor mounted on the bearing may detect the wheel drag from the bad bearing and throw a VSC light.
Old 02-08-14, 12:59 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or it has a incorrect sized tire on that one side and or wear pattern that causes noises.
Old 02-09-14, 06:24 AM
elid786
Driver School Candidate

tires should be all fine as all are the same size etc. but thanks for the advice guys

with regards to the wheel bearing, whats the best way to check? As I cant pin point if its the front left or right. And if the garage I went to before couldnt even see if it was a bearing then is there another way?

Whats the best way to find out whats throwing the VSC? lexus? or can another form of OBD reader work?
Old 02-09-14, 07:45 AM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elid786
tires should be all fine as all are the same size etc. but thanks for the advice guys

with regards to the wheel bearing, whats the best way to check? As I cant pin point if its the front left or right. And if the garage I went to before couldnt even see if it was a bearing then is there another way?

Whats the best way to find out whats throwing the VSC? lexus? or can another form of OBD reader work?
The ABS sensor is the integral part of the front hubs so maybe the hub have so much play that the sensor magnet gets misaligned or hit the steel internal sensor gear ring during loading and unload during cornering? Not likely but, its possible and that's why the VSC is on since it does use the ABS sensors to monitor wheel speeds. Its not uncommon for the wheel bearings to go out on the LS, ive read about them enough times to see that they are a common wear item. In fact there is a write up on a how to for the wheel bearing on the first page of the LS430 section.
Old 02-10-14, 03:28 AM
elid786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by username32
The ABS sensor is the integral part of the front hubs so maybe the hub have so much play that the sensor magnet gets misaligned or hit the steel internal sensor gear ring during loading and unload during cornering? Not likely but, its possible and that's why the VSC is on since it does use the ABS sensors to monitor wheel speeds. Its not uncommon for the wheel bearings to go out on the LS, ive read about them enough times to see that they are a common wear item. In fact there is a write up on a how to for the wheel bearing on the first page of the LS430 section.
Yeah I find that weird really, they make a car which is basically bulletproof (fingerscrossed) and the common faults seem to be things that any other lexus or toyota just never have, weird but got to play the game I guess. Just need to figure out which side it is from!