LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

High Years - Low Miles | Change Timing Belt ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 05:57 AM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default High Years - Low Miles | Change Timing Belt ??

Hi Guys...

I'm looking at two 2002 LS 430s, both have original miles under 45k.
Both at a glance look well maintained, but *will* check with Lexus/Toy on maintenance.

As far as I know at the moment, neither has had timing belt changed.

I'm sure this question has been discussed to death here at one time
or another, but can't find a thread on it... Soooooo....Opinion / Fact / Experience :

With this amount of age (12+ years!), exposure to heat, and at least some ozone, has the timing
belt deteriorated? Should I have the belt changed ASAP, perhaps as a condition of the sale, or
wait until miles are much closer to 90k ?

Does Lexus / Toyota have a policy or statement on this?

(( Note that neither car is being sold by a Lexus or Toyota dealer ))

THANKS in advance.

--------------- Rick
Old 01-16-14, 08:11 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This has been debated and there's probably not a real "right" answer, but if it were my car I would not change it for at least a few more years but probably before it hit 90k miles.

If a timing belt sits in a box in a warehouse, I don't think it really degrades with time, otherwise you would see the manufacturers have expiration or "born on" dates. And the belts are made to be exposed to engine heat all the time, so I'm a little suspicious of the time element when it comes to these belts. I think the mileage in 99% of how it wears out.

If it was something that sat out in the sun and had UV exposure, than I absolutely could see it wearing out just from the passage of time, but inside an engine with no UV exposure for a component that's made to be next to a hot engine?

Obviously, the safest answer is just replace it because it's over 10 years old. Usually though, a timing belt breaking is related to something like a bearing seizing up, not from the belt itself shredding because it's too old. With only 45k miles, i think all the related components have plenty of life left in them.
Old 01-16-14, 08:57 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Coulter makes excellent points on potential time degradation of a TB. It would be interesting to know what the manufacture date is of the average "new" TB that is being put into an LS430 these days.

I think there is no absolute right answer and a lot depends on local environmental conditions and how the car is driven and stored. Personally I have set a 11 year change interval for the TB in my LS so my plan is to change TB in 2016. My LS will likely have 70k miles on it in 2016 (2006 model). My car is driven gently and is garaged kept but local environment (and my garage) is blazing hot in summers.
Old 01-16-14, 09:13 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
This has been debated and there's probably not a real "right" answer, but if it were my car I would not change it for at least a few more years but probably before it hit 90k miles.

If a timing belt sits in a box in a warehouse, I don't think it really degrades with time, otherwise you would see the manufacturers have expiration or "born on" dates. And the belts are made to be exposed to engine heat all the time, so I'm a little suspicious of the time element when it comes to these belts. I think the mileage in 99% of how it wears out.

If it was something that sat out in the sun and had UV exposure, than I absolutely could see it wearing out just from the passage of time, but inside an engine with no UV exposure for a component that's made to be next to a hot engine?

Obviously, the safest answer is just replace it because it's over 10 years old. Usually though, a timing belt breaking is related to something like a bearing seizing up, not from the belt itself shredding because it's too old. With only 45k miles, i think all the related components have plenty of life left in them.
I think you really nailed it right on here.

I also agree that these belts are made to last, ive also just bought an older LS with low miles (2003-68K) and I decided to hold off on the T belt until around 90K.

I honestly belive that these belts will last the life of the car , but its good practice to follow the manufacturers guidelines.
Old 01-16-14, 10:05 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Helpful current input, thanks. I too just acquired '06 with 56K miles, and planned on changing T belt, et al at around 90K or so. You confirmed my plan. I agree that age is not a factor (T belt is not a tire that may dry rot).
Old 01-16-14, 10:23 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I didn't change the original T-belt on my '01 until 10+ years and 183K gently-driven miles ... the original T-belt "looked" to be in quite good shape when it was replaced.
Old 01-16-14, 11:08 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

my 86 mr2 first belt change was in 2011 with 67k miles on her and the belt looked pretty good but was alittle stiffer the the new belt.that engine wont get damaged if it breaks.
i changed my belt in the 06 lexus at 90k miles last month.this engine would be trashed if the belt breaks so i would change it and not have that over your head if it breaks being a 2002.
Old 01-16-14, 11:30 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would think the TB will be fine BUT would keep a close eye on the water pump...
Old 01-16-14, 11:55 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the TB will be fine BUT would keep a close eye on the water pump...
Well, if the water pump goes then the decision will be easy, change the belt.

Check out the Tundra or Sequoia forums. I think there are actually a few posters on there who are still on their original belts and wps from 2000. Those trucks use the same TB as us.
Old 01-16-14, 01:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

One other item to consider - if you plan to keep the car for several more years but not 10 more years (requiring two TB changes) than in most cases you are going to incur the TB cost anyway at some point in owning the car. So for many folks the question becomes how long to delay an inevitable cost and is the delay worth the worry (assuming you worry). So to delay a $1500 expense for 2 years is worth about $14.54 if you can find a 2 year CD paying .5% as an rough example. Assuming you have the money it is likely not worth the $15 to delay a TB job and worry about it if you know you are gonna do it anyway during the course of owning the car.
Old 01-16-14, 05:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Changed mine in August with 102k....belt looked in great shape. Expected much worse.

If if had known I'd have put it off until at least 125k....

Although, the peace of mind is nice. But I'd still rather have that thousand dollars in the bank...
Old 01-16-14, 05:52 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fangtl

Check out the Tundra or Sequoia forums. I think there are actually a few posters on there who are still on their original belts and wps from 2000. Those trucks use the same TB as us.
That's the point, pumps will fail/leak and belts will then fail...
Old 01-16-14, 07:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by fangtl

Im on my original timing belt for my 1993 SC400 with 190 000 kilometres.

I wish the 3uz wasn't an interference engine but the upside of that is I get at least 20% better mileage then my 93 1uz
Old 01-17-14, 03:30 PM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced TB/WP on 2004 LS with 24800 miles.
Old 01-17-14, 05:15 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed the TB / WP on a 2001 ES

Quick Reply: High Years - Low Miles | Change Timing Belt ??