LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

wiper blade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 07:44 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default wiper blade question

I replaced my driver side wiper blade this afternoon with an aftermarket part.
I noticed that the new blade didn't "click and lock" in place - even though it's pushed in all the way.
Is there something unique about the Lexus wiper arm causing this ???.

My major concern is that if aftermarket blades don't fit / lock in properly for any reason, it may eventually fall off while in use - causing the metal arm to scratch the hell out of my windshield.

....also for the first time noticed the driver arm has two arms ... why ?
Old 01-10-14, 07:17 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I would only use the Lexus OEM rubber refills. This assures that you don't have any problems with aftermarket blades. By the way, the Lexus refills cost around $10 or less. Why even bother with aftermarket.

The dual arms on the driver wiper optimizes the angle of the blade as it sweeps across the window, and is know as an "articulated" arm. Just some of the engineering detail that Lexus up into these cars.
Old 01-10-14, 07:25 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some blades have issue with wind drag as well our cars are made for a .26 non ul drag coefficient, you talk about particular now i feel my ocd coming out
safe driving
Old 01-10-14, 09:43 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

If I remember correctly, the driver side has something unique where most of the aftermarket blades don't click in correctly, so it's not you, it's the design. The passenger side doesn't have this issue. I ended up having to go through a dealer to get the right fit.

Wiper blades are usually one of those things I never go through the dealership for, but it looks like you have to, unless someone knows an aftermarket one that works.
Old 01-10-14, 10:00 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I would only use the Lexus OEM rubber refills. This assures that you don't have any problems with aftermarket blades. By the way, the Lexus refills cost around $10 or less. Why even bother with aftermarket.

The dual arms on the driver wiper optimizes the angle of the blade as it sweeps across the window, and is know as an "articulated" arm. Just some of the engineering detail that Lexus up into these cars.
I will go to the dealer. I paid $16 for the aftermarket blade ..... the Lexus blade will be $40 but that's life in Canada.

Originally Posted by ls430lover
some blades have issue with wind drag as well our cars are made for a .26 non ul drag coefficient, you talk about particular now i feel my ocd coming out
safe driving
yup, you have OCD, but at least you know, lol

Originally Posted by BradTank
If I remember correctly, the driver side has something unique where most of the aftermarket blades don't click in correctly, so it's not you, it's the design. The passenger side doesn't have this issue. I ended up having to go through a dealer to get the right fit.

Wiper blades are usually one of those things I never go through the dealership for, but it looks like you have to, unless someone knows an aftermarket one that works.
Lexus dealer, here I come. I will bring some lubricant, so when they rape me it wont hurt too much.
Old 01-10-14, 10:18 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 116 Posts

oem refill blades only if you want silent no hopping sweeps.
Old 01-10-14, 10:59 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Use OEM refill of the rubber wiper direct from Lexus if at all possible. And don;t change the whole wiper "arm". Stay with original OEM wiper arm because it is engineered to precisely fit the windshield.
Old 01-10-14, 11:01 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by Stu
I will go to the dealer. I paid $16 for the aftermarket blade ..... the Lexus blade will be $40 but that's life in Canada.

yup, you have OCD, but at least you know, lol

Lexus dealer, here I come. I will bring some lubricant, so when they rape me it wont hurt too much.
I'll never understand why Canada is so much more expensive than the United States, we have a free trade agreement with all of North America, you would think products would be close in price.

I can completely sympathize with you, $40 for a wiper blade refill is absurd, I think I paid maybe $10 (which is still a ripoff) Are you sure just a refill is that expensive?
Old 01-10-14, 11:16 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by BradTank
I'll never understand why Canada is so much more expensive than the United States, we have a free trade agreement with all of North America, you would think products would be close in price.

I can completely sympathize with you, $40 for a wiper blade refill is absurd, I think I paid maybe $10 (which is still a ripoff) Are you sure just a refill is that expensive?
You are correct, I just called Lexus and they have the refills for $13.
I have never replaced just the rubber, I always buy the entire wiper.
Win !
Old 01-10-14, 01:09 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

OEM Toyota/Lexus wiper refills are available online too, delivered to your door very inexpensively.

http://stores.ebay.com/Iridium-Auto/...sid=1102935365
Old 01-10-14, 02:41 PM
Stu
Racer

Just came from my local Lexus dealer.... both front and passenger side refills cost just under $20 inclusing tax .... Removing the old ones and installing the new ones was interesting to figure out and perform, lol.
Took a while but it's done.
Thanks guys !
Old 01-10-14, 10:06 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Free trade agreement and NAFTA. Inevitable but sure didn't help the common man in the US. You get proper refills at Yota dealers also.
Old 01-11-14, 03:33 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiper blades

I checked Sewell. For my 2002 they are $14.80 USD with our CL discount.
Old 01-11-14, 07:15 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Free trade agreement and NAFTA. Inevitable but sure didn't help the common man in the US. You get proper refills at Yota dealers also.
Well my point was that goods shouldn't be substantially more expensive in Canada vs the United States because there's not supposed to be any added tariffs between the two countries when there's trade involved. But then I'm sure Canada has different trade arrangements with other nations when it concerns goods of different origins.

As far as whether "free trade" helps or hurts the common man, I think it's a mixed bag. When I'm in canada, I'm struck by home much more expensive goods are vs the US, even after currency conversions. If anything, I think that hurts the "small guy" the most as the cost of living is so high.

I know I wouldn't want tariffs raised with Japan because it would mean more expensive Lexus parts and cars.
Old 01-11-14, 07:27 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

This is yet another example of people just assuming that Lexus is going to rip the customer off. I don't think it hurts to check with your dealer (or on line with Sewell for instance) on pricing or even having your dealer diagnose a problem you have.

Quick Reply: wiper blade question